The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

World Series, Game 1

Anyone else think Abbott was lifting her pivot foot the whole game?
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUchem View Post
Anyone else think Abbott was lifting her pivot foot the whole game?
World Cup

Yeah, she was lifting it but she was also putting it back down! Classic Crow Hop.

I guess IP's aren't as big a deal as they were in the WCWS.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

ISF rules; can leap as long as the toe is pointed down.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
ISF rules; can leap as long as the toe is pointed down.
We're not talking leap; we're talking crowhop, which is still illegal in ISF.

ISF: definition crowhop; 6-3-g,h; also in bold in the "points of emphasis" for 2010.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUchem View Post
We're not talking leap; we're talking crowhop, which is still illegal in ISF.

ISF: definition crowhop; 6-3-g,h; also in bold in the "points of emphasis" for 2010.
Not a crow hop (under ISF, which is quoted, or any other rule code):
Quote:
Sec. 20. CROW HOP. (FP ONLY)
A Crow hop is defined as the act of a pitcher who does not push off from the pitcher's plate to deliver the ball. THIS IS AN ILLEGAL ACT if the pitcher steps off the pitcher’s plate, thereby establishing a second impetus (or starting point) and then pushes off from the new starting point and completes the delivery.
For this to be a crop hop, she would have to push/begin from somewhere other than the pitcher's plate. However, lifting the pivot foot is a separate violation:
Quote:
i. In the act of delivering the ball, the pitcher may take one step with the leading, non-pivot foot simultaneous with the release of the ball. The step must be forward toward the batter and within the 61.0cm (24 in) length of the pitcher's plate.
NOTE: (h-i) It is not a step if the pitcher slides his foot across the pitcher's plate, provided contact is maintained with the plate and there is no movement backwards of the non-pivot foot. Lifting the pivot foot off the pitcher's plate and returning it to the plate, creating a rocking motion, is an illegal act.
Therefore, she could have been judged to be illegal, however I'm sure the umpires used this guideline under the ISF Points of Emphasis on Pitching:
Quote:
Either foot may slide across the pitching plate but cannot lift off the pitching plate. Clearing the cleats to enable the foot to slide is not considered to be lifting the foot or to be losing contact with the pitcher’s plate.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

From the limited camera angle I wasn't really focusing on any 'crow hop or replant' after the initial push off with the pivot foot.

But what I noticed was that she all over the rubber (not illegal) prior to push off, sliding her pivot foot across the length of the rubber. It looked like to me at that end of this 'slide', her pivot foot was coming significantly off the rubber (probably above the rubber), then coming back down and pushing off (couldn't tell from the center field camera if she was pushing off from the rubber or not)

I dont know if this would be legal or not under the ISF rule set but in NFHS or ASA it would be a problem imo.

Last edited by okla21fan; Fri Jul 23, 2010 at 12:05pm.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

All 3 of our most admired pitchers are illegal (1 crow hops and 2 leapers). They have been this way through out their college careers. What a mess this creates in both younger pitchers and newer umpires. Then people wonder why illegal pitches can't be controlled.

The young ladies (pitchers) look-up to these elite pitchers and try to copy their moves.

The newer umpires look-up to these elite umpires and say, "That if these umpires don't call illegal pitches, why should I".

This past year college has tried to stop illegal pitchers by enforcing existing rules. I have not seen any enforcement from NFHS, ASA, or USSSA.

I have been asked many times to umpire games, but don't call illegal pitches. This includes NCAA, NFHS, ASA, and USSSA. Each time I say, "Why not also do away with the bases? Find another umpire, I will call illegal pitches. ?"
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
For this to be a crop hop, she would have to push/begin from somewhere other than the pitcher's plate. However, lifting the pivot foot is a separate violation:
She was definitely all over the place on the rubber (sliding her pivot foot along the rubber), then she would lift her pivot foot, move it near 3 inches forward, replant, and begin her motion. Definitely a crowhop.
Old Sat Jul 24, 2010, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

WOW!!! I watched the Japan pitcher in the game against USA on friday. I don't know what to call that illegal pitch other than a "HOP". She must of been close to a foot in the air before she replanted and released the ball.
Old Sat Jul 24, 2010, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
WOW!!! I watched the Japan pitcher in the game against USA on friday. I don't know what to call that illegal pitch other than a "HOP". She must of been close to a foot in the air before she replanted and released the ball.
Jordan (?) Taylor pitching for the Futures team when she raised her arms to the sky,would lift off the plate a good 4 inches or more, then set back down.

I can hear it now when it happens in a HS game, "but I saw on TV....."