The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The beer thread (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58479-beer-thread.html)

surf24 Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 683252)
I claim full responsibility for hijacking the last thread. Mentioning beer in this forum is like throwing chum in shark infested waters.

Dave, I do have obstruction on this play but am only protecting the runner to second.

Having my thread beer jacked was far better than others ways it could have been jacked.

Jes sayin..........

Skahtboi Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 683285)
There are only 2 classifications of beer: lager and ale. Every other beer is a subcategory of those. Porter is an ale and pilsner is a lager, for example.

Correct as usual, King Friday!

Umpteenth Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:28pm

But, what makes an ale an ale, and what makes a lager a lager?

KJUmp Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpteenth (Post 683343)
But, what makes an ale an ale, and what makes a lager a lager?

The manner in which they are fermented.

Dakota Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:45pm

Ales are brewed at warmer temperatures with top-fermenting yeasts. Lagers are brewed at cooler temperatures with bottom-fermenting yeasts... unless you live in one of the states that mandates a labeling of "Ale" based on alcohol strength.

Umpteenth Fri Jun 25, 2010 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 683349)
Ales are fermentedat warmer temperatures with top-fermenting yeasts. Lagers are fermentedat cooler temperatures with bottom-fermenting yeasts... unless you live in one of the states that mandates a labeling of "Ale" based on alcohol strength.

Fixed it for ya!

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 25, 2010 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 683299)
Based on the description in the OP, I took it as AtlUmp Steve did...that it was not a dropped 3K sitch.

You may also have noted, "B4" was the batter with two runners on :D

As stated, the batter is out. Doesn't make any difference if she was swinging or not. The batter is not eligible to advance to 1B since it was occupied at the time of the pitch.

You cannot rule that the BR interfered with a D3K since neither existed in this case.

Best case scenario, rule the ball dead as a blocked ball and return the runners if, IYJ, there was no play to be had by the catcher.

Worst case scenario, enforce 8.7.P and call the runner closest to home out (rule only requires the possibility of a play, not an out) and return the trailing runner to the base last touched at the time of the interference.

Welpe Fri Jun 25, 2010 07:04pm

We're doing dinner and a movie at the Alamo draft house. I just ordered a St. Arnold, will report back after I've tried it.

Skahtboi Fri Jun 25, 2010 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 683375)
We're doing dinner and a movie at the Alamo draft house. I just ordered a St. Arnold, will report back after I've tried it.

Which St. Arnold? They have several brews.

Skahtboi Fri Jun 25, 2010 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 683372)

As stated, the batter is out. Doesn't make any difference if she was swinging or not. The batter is not eligible to advance to 1B since it was occupied at the time of the pitch.

You cannot rule that the BR interfered with a D3K since neither existed in this case.

Best case scenario, rule the ball dead as a blocked ball and return the runners if, IYJ, there was no play to be had by the catcher.

Worst case scenario, enforce 8.7.P and call the runner closest to home out (rule only requires the possibility of a play, not an out) and return the trailing runner to the base last touched at the time of the interference.

Seems like the only important question here is who is buying the beer.

Skahtboi Fri Jun 25, 2010 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by surf24 (Post 683314)
Having my thread beer jacked was far better than others ways it could have been jacked.

Jes sayin..........

I like the cut of your jib!

KJUmp Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 683372)

Irish,
Both scenarios make sense.
Curious....how did the three of you rule in that 14U game where this play occurred....the best case scenario or the worst case scenario?

umpirebob71 Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:18pm

Myself, I'm a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat fan.

Welpe Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 683378)
Which St. Arnold? They have several brews.

Sorry...Amber Ale. Honestly, I was a little disappointed.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 683385)
Irish,
Both scenarios make sense.
Curious....how did the three of you rule in that 14U game where this play occurred....the best case scenario or the worst case scenario?

The umpires on the field just killed the ball, and "sold" the runners would have had the base made, so they allowed them to stay.

This type of ruling occurs too often as umpires try to be "fair" and use that to justify a ruling without regards to the actual rule.

Did the catcher have a play? Can't tell since the ball was hit with the bat as she reached for it. That act there kills ANYTHING and if the runners did not have the base by that point (they did not), the minimum is going back to the previous base.

Umpires need to remember there are two teams on the field and they deserve equal treatment. The offense is the team that caused the problem, so I cannot see "rewarding" them with a free base.