The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

When is "too late?"

ASA SP

Yesterday, had a sitch that had me wondering...

Two outs, bottom of 7th, score is 14-12, and there's a runner on 2B. The next batter is known for knocking them out of the park, and he steps into the batter's box. There's some back and forth on the defense about whether they should put him on, and in the end, the pitcher says to me, "put him on."

As the runner gets to about 10 feet from home plate, the DC realizes that the other team has already hit their limit, and that it would be better to pitch to that batter.

Once I've already been informed of the intentional walk, can the batter be brought back to the plate prior to him reaching 1B?

My statement to the coach was, "no, coach, I was informed of the intentional walk, and I've already awarded him 1B."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
ASA SP
My statement to the coach was, "no, coach, I was informed of the intentional walk, and I've already awarded him 1B."
Good for you!
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Rules Supplement
32. Intentional Walk (Slow Pitch)

......"and the intentional walk starts by the defensive team notifying the plate umpire of their intent."

Sorry, DC...too late.
Nice job on not allowing them to reverse their decision to issue the intentional walk.
Not much different than them informing you of a substitution, and you've entered it on your lineup card and/or informed the official scorer/opposing team.

Somewhat similar sitch last weekend in a 12u tournament. Coin flip, red team is heads, coin comes up heads, I ask red team what is their choice, red HC asks one of his two captains "what do we want to be home or away?" Captain#1 says "Away." Look of horror comes over red HC's face as he glares at capt.#1, who then says.."no, no, I meant home, we want to be home."
Red HC looks at me (still in shock), and I say, "OK, red team is the away team and will be batting first. White, you're home. Coaches, let's get them out there, have a good game."
Red HC then says, "Come on ump, you know she made a mistake." My reply, "Coach, all I do know is that you get a choice when you win the flip, her choice when asked by you was AWAY. You get one opportunity to chose, not two."
Coaches will say and ask the darndest things.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Rules Supplement

......"and the intentional walk starts by the defensive team notifying the plate umpire of their intent."

Sorry, DC...too late.
Nice job on not allowing them to reverse their decision to issue the intentional walk.
Not much different than them informing you of a substitution, and you've entered it on your lineup card and/or informed the official scorer/opposing team.

Somewhat similar sitch last weekend in a 12u tournament. Coin flip, red team is heads, coin comes up heads, I ask red team what is their choice, red HC asks one of his two captains "what do we want to be home or away?" Captain#1 says "Away." Look of horror comes over red HC's face as he glares at capt.#1, who then says.."no, no, I meant home, we want to be home."
Red HC looks at me (still in shock), and I say, "OK, red team is the away team and will be batting first. White, you're home. Coaches, let's get them out there, have a good game."
Red HC then says, "Come on ump, you know she made a mistake." My reply, "Coach, all I do know is that you get a choice when you win the flip, her choice when asked by you was AWAY. You get one opportunity to chose, not two."
I don't know if I would have forced them to stick with their blunder. Unlike the situation I presented, no one is in jeopardy.

It's not like you asked them their favorite color... "Blue, no, red, AHHHHH!!!!"

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, KJ, but but in my opinion that's a case of Over Officiatiating.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Anyway, thanks for the input, guys. I've never had a pitcher try to undo an intentional walk. Usually, they drag out the process so much when deciding whether or not to do it, once they finally decide to do it, by golly, they're going to do it!

And since their announcement of intentionally walking the batter automatically made him a batter-runner, I did not feel right in allowing them to hit the "undo" button.

Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Rules Supplement

Sorry, DC...too late.

Reminds me of a similar situation in the NFL several years back where the team captain, instead of saying "defer" and kick off that half, he said, "We want to kick the ball!" So they got to kick the ball both halves.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
Sorry, KJ, but but in my opinion that's a case of Over Officiatiating.
Stu,
Absolutely a fair point. And I am not by nature anywhere close to being an OOO....it's just not my style.

Here was the thing though, it was a tourney elimination game. What would I have done if I had let the red team change their choice, and the white team HC complained? That was the one thing thing that came to my mind when it became obvious that the red team captain had blundered.

I guess if I had let the red team change their choice, and the white HC disagreed, he always could have lodged a protest with the TD.

I'm not trying to make a case here for my decision as to how I dealt with the sitch as being the "right way" to handle it. For all I know, I could have been 100% dead wrong. But I did have to make a decision on the spot. This wasn't about looking for a nit to pick.

Being as how I can't find anything (yet) in either the ASA Rule Book, Case Book, or Umpire's Clinic Manual covering the proper procedure for coin flips; the question I'll throw out to the board is....what should we do if there is some kind of mess-up during a coin flip? What is the best/proper way to handle it?
Opinions please. Citations/references if you have any that are pertinent.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[B]
Wow. Harsh. Not sure I'd have gone that way. I'm not sure anything regarding the coin flip is in the book - so we're kind of making up our own rules on that. Unlike the OP.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is the best/proper way to handle it?
Opinions please. Citations/references if you have any that are pertinent.
I think that there's no "proper" way, as there's no rules here. But if you want references, I can tell you that thousands of football referees have had a 6th grader say, "We want to kick off" and corrected them "Are you sure you don't want to defer?" Several times a season. I don't think you can be faulted for what you did - like you say, you had to decide on the spot.

But as to your worry about a protest, exactly what rule would they win this protest by? Does it actually say anywhere that the first word uttered by any player on the coin-flip-winning side is binding? If anything, the girl's utterance was her answer TO HER COACH when he asked her what SHE wanted. You never got an answer from the coach. (Honestly, I'm not sure I'd have enforced a coach for saying it wrong either... but you at least have a ready-made fix with the girl saying it).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Not to mention the fact that at this point, nothing has happened. No one has stepped up to bat, no plays have been made, no pitches have been delivered.

If a coach comes up to me during the game and says, "Blue, I want to enter #24 into the game. Wait, I mean #25," I'm not going to force him to put #24 into that spot and then substitute #25 in for #24.

Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I think that there's no "proper" way, as there's no rules here. But if you want references, I can tell you that thousands of football referees have had a 6th grader say, "We want to kick off" and corrected them "Are you sure you don't want to defer?" Several times a season. I don't think you can be faulted for what you did - like you say, you had to decide on the spot.

But as to your worry about a protest, exactly what rule would they win this protest by? Does it actually say anywhere that the first word uttered by any player on the coin-flip-winning side is binding? If anything, the girl's utterance was her answer TO HER COACH when he asked her what SHE wanted. You never got an answer from the coach. (Honestly, I'm not sure I'd have enforced a coach for saying it wrong either... but you at least have a ready-made fix with the girl saying it).
Good point.
The red part....an even better point.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Not to mention the fact that at this point, nothing has happened. No one has stepped up to bat, no plays have been made, no pitches have been delivered.

If a coach comes up to me during the game and says, "Blue, I want to enter #24 into the game. Wait, I mean #25," I'm not going to force him to put #24 into that spot and then substitute #25 in for #24.
Dave,
Agree, nothing has happened. That being said, is that an adequate and proper answer to the white team HC if he starts to complain?

The substitution comparison is a good one. Again, let me state for the record I am not looking to force a coach to do something that he either did not intend to do or can't legally do regarding substitutions. Good line-up card/substitution management on the part of the PU dictates that we repeat the change to the coach to make sure that is the change that what he wants, BEFORE we report it to the official scorer or the other team. But like your sitch, there is a defined point where the sub (or the intentional walk) is official.

Another comparison might be when a coach has a "result of the play" option
that could occur on an IP or a catcher's obstruction sitch.
Now, unlike my sitch, "stuff has happened." But again the question is, once the coach indicates his choice, can he change it?
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I would agree with the statement that the girls answered the coaches question, not yours. That would be my out with the other coach, should he complain.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
Reminds me of a similar situation in the NFL several years back where the team captain, instead of saying "defer" and kick off that half, he said, "We want to kick the ball!" So they got to kick the ball both halves.
And in spite of all the criticism, Phil Luckett was 100% correct. The putz for the Steelers changed his selection with the coin in the air. The NFL rules basically instruct game officials to accept first utterance. The Steelers player thought he was being smart.

But instead of the official being supported by Jerry Siemen and the NFL, he was given a pass with pay for his playoff assignment that year. Talk about a gutless reaction by the NFL.

Almost as bad as the TH we have to endure to watch softball on TV.