The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Slow Pitch Question

I'm trying to do more slow pitch this year (well still only 15 SP games versus 124 FP games so far this year, but that's 9 more SP games than I did last year), and have a question about the legality of a pitching delivery I saw last night.

ASA Rule 6-3-C states "The pitcher must not use a delivery in which there is a stop or reversal of the pitching motion." Here's what I saw last night from one pitcher: He would have his hands together in front of his body at about belt high, then push them upwards to about his chest area. At that point, his hands would separate with his pitching hand holding the ball, continuing his upward motion for about another six to twelve inches. His pitching hand would stop, come back down, behind his body, then come forward again to deliver the ball on the forward motion past his hip. I'm wondering if that would be considered a reversal of the pitching motion, but if it is, would not the ending of the back swing also be considered a reversal? I'm trying not to over think what I'm reading, but I can't imagine what would be a reversal if this is not.

FWIW, I did not call his motion as being illegal, but noted it for future reference. The other team didn't complain...this is a church league that actually is a fun league to umpire as the teams all know each other and there is plenty of good fellowship that occurs during all the games.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

From what you describe, I'd say he's legal. It sounds as if the reversal comes after the hand rises from up in front of the chest, an action that doesn't resemble the start of a pitch.

If he makes a forward motion with his arm, something that looks like the start of a pitch, then he can't stop (or reverse, which entails a brief stop).
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
From what you describe, I'd say he's legal. It sounds as if the reversal comes after the hand rises from up in front of the chest, an action that doesn't resemble the start of a pitch.

If he makes a forward motion with his arm, something that looks like the start of a pitch, then he can't stop (or reverse, which entails a brief stop).
That was what I couldn't determine from the OP. Sound almost like a HTBT.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2010, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Sound almost like a HTBT.

I think it is a HTBT.

"Reversal" is mentioned undoubtedly because a pitcher who moved his arm forward without releasing and in one apparent motion reversed his motion could claim that he didn't stop. A similar situation arose in OBR when the one-second stop required of pitchers in their stretch motion was changed to simply a "stop" to reduce balks. When I pitched, you could sort of get around that requirement by reversing direction, which entailed a (very brief) stop. Then they added "discernible" and prevented the quick reversal.

Of course, OBR said you had to stop, while softball said you couldn't stop.