The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
WCWS Championship, game 2, Oh boy!!!!!!!!

Not at all impressed with umpiring and it is only the second inning. 1st inning Arizona batter runner slides into second head first. Hand comes into the base, then the tag up high. BU calls her out. Wasn't even close. Botched that one big time. 2nd inning home run by UCLA. 1BU
real slow deciding to go out. When he finally does, he puts his left arm out to let other umpires know he is going out. Bad thing is, he uses the exact signal as a DDB. In a different situation, that signal could easily be construed as him having obstruction somewhere. He needs to use some other signal to let his other umpires know he is going out. Dave
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Not at all impressed with umpiring and it is only the second inning. 1st inning Arizona batter runner slides into second head first. Hand comes into the base, then the tag up high. BU calls her out. Wasn't even close. Botched that one big time. 2nd inning home run by UCLA. 1BU
real slow deciding to go out. When he finally does, he puts his left arm out to let other umpires know he is going out. Bad thing is, he uses the exact signal as a DDB. In a different situation, that signal could easily be construed as him having obstruction somewhere. He needs to use some other signal to let his other umpires know he is going out. Dave
Of maybe it was an IP but since the ball went out.......
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Maybe???, but shouldn't the arm come out when you see the IP? While he was standing on the line, before he went out, his arm looked down to me. Dave
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe???, but shouldn't the arm come out when you see the IP? While he was standing on the line, before he went out, his arm looked down to me. Dave
Don't know, didn't see it. Just offering a possible cause. Personally, I've never seen anyone use their arm or anything else to signal that they were going out.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

The only shot I saw on the replay was when he went out and had his left arm extended and was looking back briefly. My first thoughts was he was calling an IP but yes, since it was a homerun a mute point.

On the play at second, yes she was safe but you could see he made the call on the run. That always makes it tough when you are moving to get all of the elements of the play.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
On the play at second, yes she was safe but you could see he made the call on the run. That always makes it tough when you are moving to get all of the elements of the play.
Think the view may have been different from the inside with the play coming toward the umpire instead of from behind?
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Think the view may have been different from the inside with the play coming toward the umpire instead of from behind?
Inside or outside, you can blow the call on either side if you do not get a good angle. I would have gone inside on that play especially if the runner headed straight to second.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I almost forgot to report that I learned a new mechanic last night.
When you call a BR out at 1st, concurrently with the hammer signal, raise your left foot forward and up almost to knee height.

MLB: Phillies vs. Marlins
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I almost forgot to report that I learned a new mechanic last night.
When you call a BR out at 1st, concurrently with the hammer signal, raise your left foot forward and up almost to knee height.

MLB: Phillies vs. Marlins
You never saw Ron Luciano did you?
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When he finally does, he puts his left arm out to let other umpires know he is going out. Bad thing is, he uses the exact signal as a DDB. In a different situation, that signal could easily be construed as him having obstruction somewhere. He needs to use some other signal to let his other umpires know he is going out. Dave
Extremely early obstruction call?!?!

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=shipwreck;680801]Not at all impressed with umpiring and it is only the second inning. 1st inning Arizona batter runner slides into second head first. Hand comes into the base, then the tag up high. BU calls her out. Wasn't even close. Botched that one big time.
The 3rd base umpire chose to go out on the pop fly which landed about 10 feet inside the baseline and in front of the left fielder (instead of coming into the infield toward 2nd base). That made the 1st base umpire late in covering the play at 2nd and he made the call from the area between 2nd and the outfield grass line which is not a good look into the tag at second.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
... yes, since it was a homerun a mute point.
Sorry, but I gotta...

So, what your saying is he gave the signal but didn't verbialize it?
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
Sorry, but I gotta...

So, what your saying is he gave the signal but didn't verbialize it?