The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Makes you proud to be a fan of MLB...

With all the juicing, whiny, spoiled-brat, acting out super stars with the 7+ figure salaries, ranting red-faced managers, money-grubbing owners robbing the public purse for stadiums, and even arrogant-acting grudge-carrying umpires, it is difficult to explain to skeptics and anti-fans (Mike R?) why I'm a fan of Major League Baseball.

With that as the backstop, the perfect game that wasn't is a much welcomed breath of civility and class.

From the way the Tiger players handled the call (and especially Galarraga's reaction) to the obviously distraught Joyce beside himself in the umpire's locker room, to his apology to Galarraga, to Leyland's post game remarks, to Joyce turning down MLB's offer to let him skip the next game and manning up to face the music, to the reaction of the Tiger fans when he entered the field, to Leyland sending Galarraga out to the plate meeting with the line up card, to Joyce and Galarraga at the plate meeting, this whole incident was handled with nothing but class.

MLB still has its juicing, whiny, spoiled-brat super stars, ranting red-faced managers, money-grubbing owners, grudge-carrying umpires, and a maroon as a pretend commissioner, but after this, you can at least imagine there is still hope.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Dakota,
You need to tell us how you feel about all of this and to get it off of your chest so that you can go on with your life!
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
With all the juicing, whiny, spoiled-brat, acting out super stars with the 7+ figure salaries, ranting red-faced managers, money-grubbing owners robbing the public purse for stadiums, and even arrogant-acting grudge-carrying umpires, it is difficult to explain to skeptics and anti-fans (Mike R?) why I'm a fan of Major League Baseball.

With that as the backstop, the perfect game that wasn't is a much welcomed breath of civility and class.

From the way the Tiger players handled the call (and especially Galarraga's reaction) to the obviously distraught Joyce beside himself in the umpire's locker room, to his apology to Galarraga, to Leyland's post game remarks, to Joyce turning down MLB's offer to let him skip the next game and manning up to face the music, to the reaction of the Tiger fans when he entered the field, to Leyland sending Galarraga out to the plate meeting with the line up card, to Joyce and Galarraga at the plate meeting, this whole incident was handled with nothing but class.

MLB still has its juicing, whiny, spoiled-brat super stars, ranting red-faced managers, money-grubbing owners, grudge-carrying umpires, and a maroon as a pretend commissioner, but after this, you can at least imagine there is still hope.
I agree - refreshing
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious what the headlines would have been if it was a player that "blew" the perfect game with 2 outs in the ninth." 20 million dollar a year superstar blows perfect game for Galarraga.Worst play seen in years."I hardly think so. Jim Joyce is a class act and we all know as umpires how difficult that call is when on the field at live game speed.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota, nice job.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

Don't disagree, but I have a feeling Selig and his handlers are not done with this yet.