The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of not calling illegal pitches.....

.....which one of you incompetent son of a b1tchs was the guy that didn't call F1 illegal for leaping because, "there was another pitcher's plate (shorter distance) in front of her and she had to leap over it"?

The coach told me one of you guys said it was OK.....
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Not me this time.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
.....which one of you incompetent son of a b1tchs was the guy that didn't call F1 illegal for leaping because, "there was another pitcher's plate (shorter distance) in front of her and she had to leap over it"?

Not me. I called plenty last weekend, and besides, it was a turf field with the shorter pitcher's plate removed.

BTW, turf gets your shoes nice and clean.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I confess, it was me. But I explained to the coach that it was OK only if you were umpiring the next game. Guess it worked out then.
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Last weekend I was working on a field where also youth-games can be played. A brand new diamond that was just opened. For those youth-games the pitcher-plate can be mounted in some iron-work hidden under the gravel.

In the second half of 1st inn. the visiting pitcher dugout so much gravel in front of her plate that this iron has come out. It was real dangerous. I had to stop the game for over 30 min., so the groundcrew could remove the iron-work and fill the hole.

The irony of it all was that in april (during a practise tournament) already somebody of that club told his board that this could happen. Apparently nothing was done. Lucky for them it happened now; in august there will be the two European Cup tournaments held on that complex...

@Hugo
Ain't leaping allowed yet in your league? It's this year in the ISF-rules that leaping is ok, crow hopping still not. So in a view weeks on the WorldCup in Caracas, leaping will not be called!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post

SNIP

@Hugo
Ain't leaping allowed yet in your league? It's this year in the ISF-rules that leaping is ok, crow hopping still not. So in a view weeks on the WorldCup in Caracas, leaping will not be called!

Interesting...
So far, I haven't reached the ISF level but always good to know.

Quote:
Rule 1 Section 20
Sec. 20. CROW HOP. (FP ONLY)
A Crow hop is defined as the act of a pitcher who does not push off from the pitcher's plate to
deliver the ball. The pitcher steps off from the plate and then establishes a second impetus (or
starting point) and pushes off from the new starting point and completes the delivery. (THIS IS
AN ILLEGAL ACT) NOTE: The pitcher may leap, from the pitcher’s plate, land and with a
continuous motion deliver the ball to the plate. The pivot foot may push off and/or follow
through with this continuous action and this is not considered a crow hop.
Comment: Amendments to the pitching rule allow the pitcher to leap, land, follow through with a
continuous motion and release the ball, Upon landing, the pivot may push off or follow through as part of
this continuous action.
http://www.internationalsoftball.com...le_Changes.pdf
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting...
So far, I haven't reached the ISF level but always good to know.
Nor have I, however overhere we play by these rules...

Old Fri May 28, 2010, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Interesting...
Quote:
Rule 1 Section 20
Sec. 20. CROW HOP. (FP ONLY)
A Crow hop is defined as the act of a pitcher who does not push off from the pitcher's plate to
deliver the ball. The pitcher steps off from the plate and then establishes a second impetus (or
starting point) and pushes off from the new starting point and completes the delivery. (THIS IS
AN ILLEGAL ACT) NOTE: The pitcher may leap, from the pitcher’s plate, land and with a
continuous motion deliver the ball to the plate. The pivot foot may push off and/or follow
through with this continuous action and this is not considered a crow hop.
Comment: Amendments to the pitching rule allow the pitcher to leap, land, follow through with a
continuous motion and release the ball, Upon landing, the pivot may push off or follow through as part of
this continuous action.
Does this say it is legal to push off from other than the PP as long as you leap, but not if you slide or step? Not that I will call ISF, but others like to copy.

Also, defining hop as "does not push off from the pitcher's plate" instead of an affirmative, "pushing off from off the PP" seems backward expecially if allowed to push off on leap.
It's like other books that say the pivot foot must drag making pitchers who do not actually leave the PP illegal.
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
From what I've read and discussed, this sis the same as where the F1 does not drag the foot but has both feet in the air at the same time.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wait a minute here....you mean it's not legal??? Damm....been screwing that up all season.
Old Sat May 29, 2010, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

@Cecil

The pitcher must push off the pp, in ISF, but may be airborne.
So leaping is allowed, draging and sliding also.
BUT,
any 2nd push off, anywhere, is an illegal act. (The 2nd push-off is also called crow-hop.)

We learned from guy's like Sonny Pimpilli to watch the hands;
when the hands separate and this causes the body-motion towards home plate, it's very hard to crow-hop. When the feet causes the body-motion towards home plate and thus the hands are still together, the pitcher will be pushing off for a second time with the hands separated. This is illegal!

@KJ
Pay attention: In some org.'s (like ISF) it is legal to leap!!!

Old Sat May 29, 2010, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

As I understand it, the leaping that ISF allows is pretty much what men are permitted to do in ASA ball. Early this year, Sonny and I each spent an hour or more with the Dutch rules folks who were working on getting an understanding of what a legal leap would be.