The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Ominous e-mail

I used to love working ECAC softball, but I stopped after the 2008 season, when I moved to Alabama.

However, ECAC still sends me e-mails, and several times an assigner has contacted me to ask whether I could help out in an emergency and, for example, fill in for a guy in a game in New Hampshire the next day.

I just got another routine, multi-recipient message. I won't identify the sender, but part of it reads:

Although the ECAC is adding several more schools (possiblity of 15+), I'm looking to "downsize" my pool of softball umpires who I will assign softball games in New England next Spring.

As of today, there are over 300 umpires who call softball games for the ECAC in NJ, NY, PA, and New England. Great number but ....

Any ideas as to what the "dots" stand for?

Last edited by greymule; Tue May 25, 2010 at 02:49pm.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think the dots stand for "all of the good ones live out of state and no longer call for me."

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post

Any ideas as to what the "dots" stand for?
Why guess? Ask the sender.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
My perception is that the number is great, but will be reduced to accomplish the assigner's goal, probably fewer complaints.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I think the dots stand for "all of the good ones live out of state and no longer call for me."
Or "the good one".
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yep. I had it made in the shade for a few years in ECAC. Two or three doubleheaders a week, good teams, fast games, and $140 for sometimes less than three hours' work. Even did a regional in 2007. But before the 2008 season, my assigner retired, and another ump warned me that the new guy assigns himself first, and then his buddies, and spreads whatever is left (usually lousy teams far away) over the rest of his list. I think I had only four dates in 2008.

I had only one date with a team I had umpired regularly the year before. It was toward the end of the season, and I was interested that the coach asked me, "Where have you been all year? The guys they've been sending us are absolutely horrible—that is, when they show up."

In fact, on one occasion that spring, I went to the field simply to watch, and one of the assigned ("preferred") guys wasn't there 15 minutes before game time, so I drove home, suited up, and came back and did the game.

But it's all moot now. I'm enjoying life here in Alabama.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 07:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
the new guy assigns himself first, and then his buddies, and spreads whatever is left (usually lousy teams far away) over the rest of his list.
Boy does that sound familiar. Doesn't matter the sport or location it seems.

So essentially he has too many people for the amount of games he wants to give them?
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

I currently work ECAC. I started with them after Grey left the area. Obviously, I got the same e-mail. The comments in both of Grey's posts (and the replies) are all pretty much on the mark.
As Grey well knows, because of the number of schools and the vast geography the ECAC covers, they need the numbers (total umpires), they need these umpires spread out over a broad nine state area (to save on travel costs) and ensure game coverage. But the need to have so many umps has lead to (I've been told) complacency on the part of many of the umpires that have been working ECAC games for a lot of years. Hence the "implied" suggestion of shape up or ship out. I know they're somewhat serious about it because it's what allowed me to get my "foot in the door" with the ECAC.

Grey..OK to PM you? I had a few questions I'd like to ask you regarding ECAC umpiring.
KJump
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Grey..OK to PM you? I had a few questions I'd like to ask you regarding ECAC umpiring.
KJump

By all means be in touch. I'd be glad to help in any way I can. I'll try to connect with you now.