The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Watching other umps call games.

How much do you watch other umps call games? Do you find yourself critiquing them for their calls or strike zone.

You know I'm all about giving a benefit of the doubt to an ump behind the plate but what I saw this weekend was just horrible.

Sitting behind the plate @ my daughters game count is 3-1. The next pitch is in the left hand batter's box by two feet, called strike two. You get the normal rumbles from the batting teams fans. Count 3-2, next pitch at least a foot wider in to where the catcher has to dive for the ball, punched out for strike three. Even more rumbles from the crowd and I start to shake my head because I don't see it.

Now this is an ump that has done many HS state tournaments and for the most part a good umpire.

I don't know maybe I'm being a little hard on him since it was my daughter that was up to bat and it has been drilled in her head that you do not watch and 3rd strike go by and if it is close you better be trying to put your bat on the ball.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

heck yeah... good time to yell at them too... YOU SUCK BLUE!!!
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasoftballump View Post
How much do you watch other umps call games? Do you find yourself critiquing them for their calls or strike zone.
Yes, to myself. I try to see what they may be seeing.

Quote:
Sitting behind the plate @ my daughters game count is 3-1. The next pitch is in the left hand batter's box by two feet, called strike two. You get the normal rumbles from the batting teams fans. Count 3-2, next pitch at least a foot wider in to where the catcher has to dive for the ball, punched out for strike three. Even more rumbles from the crowd and I start to shake my head because I don't see it.
Of course, not. That must have been one helluva wicked curve.

Quote:
I don't know maybe I'm being a little hard on him since it was my daughter that was up to bat and it has been drilled in her head that you do not watch and 3rd strike go by and if it is close you better be trying to put your bat on the ball.
Nah, I'm sure that had nothing to do with it
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I do watch the other umps now and then, but I don't give any commentary or critiques to anyone but myself.

I had one ump in our crew watching my game, and I could have strangled him for vocalizing his disagreement with my dealing with a player.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I watch umps constantly. TV and live.

I watch baseball and softball umpires. Sometimes officially as an formal evaluation, so times for informal critiquing and sometimes just as a student of umpiring.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Like wade...I do the same. I am a student of the game, and of officiating. I want to soak up as much of the game as I can. I love to talk softball, love to watch softball, love to play softball. I have been involved with officiating several sports for years. I got into my first umpiring gig when I was 12.

I like to watch the game from the prospective of an umpire. I try to learn something from everyone. Mechanics, situations, rules discussion, timing of calls....

Even equipment. (soccer shin guards and pants for slow pitch games, like Dave)

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post
I like to watch the game from the prospective of an umpire. I try to learn something from everyone. Mechanics, situations, rules discussion, timing of calls....
That's about the only way I can watch the game anymore, I've been doing it for so long. A true story: I'm reading As They See 'Em, that wonderful new book about baseball umpiring. The author is trying to make the point that umpires see the game differently, and asks the reader what F4 would do with a runner on first and a base hit to LF.

I thought, "Well, I guess cover 2B. Never gave it much thought, though."

He then asked if anyone knew what the umpires would do.

I though, "Easy! BU (baseball, remember) stays in the working area behind the mound, watches R1 touch 2B, the B/R touch 1B, and takes B/R into 2B if necessary. PU rotates to cover 3B."

This of course made the author's point that umpires see the game differently.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasoftballump View Post

You know I'm all about giving a benefit of the doubt to an ump behind the plate but what I saw this weekend was just horrible.

Now this is an ump that has done many HS state tournaments and for the most part a good umpire.

Constantly watch other umpires either as an evaluater or a student.

Would NEVER have the balls to critique another umpire who just struck out my kid!
I've sat next to too many parents (including some who claimed to be umpires) who would swear that the ball was two feet outside when it looked close enough to me..
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Going to a minor league(Baseball) game is a great release for me. I get to yell all of the things I hear from dumb fans and it's a lot cheaper than therapy.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Going to a minor league(Baseball) game is a great release for me. I get to yell all of the things I hear from dumb fans and it's a lot cheaper than therapy.
Until you notice how hypnotic it is watching the umpire in his nice uniform trot across that nice, green infield and the long, white swooshes on his black shoes. It always reminds me of Shamu and namesakes on a Sea World commercial.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Of course, when I go to a Blue Rocks game all I can do is watch the stellar play of that Fine DELAWARE team. LOL
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yo Mario! If you flip the plate over, there's some instructions for you.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

I can only hope that Mario has moved up to the Carolina League by the 26th so that he can work the game at Frederick.

In his defense, he did have the squarest stance I have EVER seen!!
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can only hope that Mario has moved up to the Carolina League by the 26th so that he can work the game at Frederick.

In his defense, he did have the squarest stance I have EVER seen!!
that hand was like 90 degrees straight up too.... IDK if he moved up though. He let hector chew his *** on that ball that was 7 feet foul that he called fair hahah how badass would it be when go to fredrick if he was working though? can you say EPIC ?

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I've sat next to too many parents (including some who claimed to be umpires) who would swear that the ball was two feet outside when it looked close enough to me..
You must have been in the stands at some of my games!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.