The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Please clarify obstruction question

This was a question posed by my association president earlier today.One out R1 is on 2nd base.Fly ball to outfield R1 leaves 2nd base at the crack of the bat.R1 is obstructed by the shortstop and is tagged out at 3rd base.Now if the umpire signaled obstruction and there was no appeal of the missed bag isn't she entitled to protection between 2nd and 3rd.I would have placed her on 3rd but I was told she was out. I didn't get any further replies why she was out but I'm asking here.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN View Post
This was a question posed by my association president earlier today.One out R1 is on 2nd base.Fly ball to outfield R1 leaves 2nd base at the crack of the bat.R1 is obstructed by the shortstop and is tagged out at 3rd base.Now if the umpire signaled obstruction and there was no appeal of the missed bag isn't she entitled to protection between 2nd and 3rd.I would have placed her on 3rd but I was told she was out. I didn't get any further replies why she was out but I'm asking here.
Once put out at 3B, the umpire should immediately rule a dead ball. Announce the OBS. If the runner returns to touch 2B, it should be permitted. If there is no movement by the runner, the umpire should announce the award.

If there is an appeal made, the umpire should then rule on the appeal.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2010, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Once put out at 3B, the umpire should immediately rule a dead ball. Announce the OBS. If the runner returns to touch 2B, it should be permitted. If there is no movement by the runner, the umpire should announce the award.

If there is an appeal made, the umpire should then rule on the appeal.
In this situation, the defense is much better off announcing their intention to appeal before tagging her. If the defense tags the runner sliding into third and immediately alertly announces that they weren't putting her out but appealing, would you allow it as an appeal? That's somewhat out there I know, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around what it would take to turn this into an appeal play. Every other fielder yelling, "she left early; throw to second," then the third baseman tags her?
________
HERBALAIRE VAPORIZER H2.1

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:19pm.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2010, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN View Post
Nothing in this post explains an out, if no appeal.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2010, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
In this situation, the defense is much better off announcing their intention to appeal before tagging her. If the defense tags the runner sliding into third and immediately alertly announces that they weren't putting her out but appealing, would you allow it as an appeal?
No, you must allow all runners to complete their responsibilities prior to making any awards or appeals during a dead ball

Quote:
That's somewhat out there I know, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around what it would take to turn this into an appeal play. Every other fielder yelling, "she left early; throw to second," then the third baseman tags her?
The only way would be a live ball appeal and even then, that would kill the play. You would then announce the OBS and then call the runner out on the appeal.

This is a real simple rule, don't try to out think it 'cause that will get you nothing, but trouble.

On another board, I have people (okay, so they aren't people, just coaches and parents ) constantly stating how umpires do not understand OBS. That they will never call it unless there is contact and rarely, if ever, award bases beyond those between which the runner was obstructed. I tell them they must have some pretty dumb umpires in whatever area they live, because this is the second easiest rule in the book behind the infield fly. I believe that and if you (generic, not referring to youngump) are one of those umpires, please stay away from my field
Old Thu Apr 22, 2010, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
On another board, I have people (okay, so they aren't people, just coaches and parents ) constantly stating how umpires do not understand OBS. That they will never call it unless there is contact and rarely, if ever, award bases beyond those between which the runner was obstructed.
You should stay off that 'cancer' called HB

......just sayin
Old Thu Apr 22, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
You should stay off that 'cancer' called HB

......just sayin

Then what would I do for fun?