The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

minimum distance for infielders to plate

Hey guys got a question for you. In High school fastpitch, is there a minimum distance that infielders can get from home plate prior to the pitch? I had the entire infield excluding the first baseman and pitcher lined up to the left and right of the pitcher and about 10 ft. in front of the pitcher. I have looked in the... ASA manual and can't find it. I don't know if it is a violation or not, but it seems unsafe. If someone can help me and tell me the effect if there is a penalty I would appreciate it
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

You can't find it because there is no applicable rule. The only restriction is that infielders may not interfere (obstruct) with the batter's view of a pitch.

No rule, no effect, no penalty; play on.
Old Wed Apr 14, 2010, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwells1 View Post
Hey guys got a question for you. In High school fastpitch, is there a minimum distance that infielders can get from home plate prior to the pitch? I had the entire infield excluding the first baseman and pitcher lined up to the left and right of the pitcher and about 10 ft. in front of the pitcher. I have looked in the... ASA manual and can't find it. I don't know if it is a violation or not, but it seems unsafe. If someone can help me and tell me the effect if there is a penalty I would appreciate it
ASA 6.5.B

If the conditions of this rule do not apply, like Steve said, play on.

BTW, simply standing is not a distracting act, the defense is permitted to defend the field as they see fit as long as they meet all the rules.

Now, if any of these infielders start doing something during the pitch that is obviously meant to distract the batter, say good night.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2010, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
ASA 6.5.B

If the conditions of this rule do not apply, like Steve said, play on.

BTW, simply standing is not a distracting act, the defense is permitted to defend the field as they see fit as long as they meet all the rules.

Now, if any of these infielders start doing something during the pitch that is obviously meant to distract the batter, say good night.
Ditto for
NCAA 13.8.2
and
PONY 7.7 (Note)