The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 07, 2015, 09:00am
Stirrer of the Pot

Obstruction at First Base: Where's the Protection?

Batter bunts the ball toward F1. F1 fields and throws to F3, but the throw is wide, pulling F3 into the BR's path, and F3 cannot catch the ball. The BR collides with F3 just in front of the orange bag, and falls beyond the bag about ten feet or so. BU throws out the left arm for the Obstruction call. F9, backing up the play at first, fields the errant throw.

While the BR is getting up, she hears her first base coach tell her to go to second. The BR starts heading that way, but then turns back toward first when she sees F9 with the ball. F9 throws to F3, and the BR is tagged before she reaches the bag on the headfirst slide back.

Is the BR protected between first and second due to the Obstruction at first base? Or was she only protected at first, and she lost that protection when she made her move toward second?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jul 07, 2015, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
As best as I can visualize from the OP, only protected at first, and she lost that protection when she made her move toward second?

If ITUJ, the OBD prevented reaching 2nd because she was down; possible to award 1st after the tag. Very unlikely.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2015, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

While I am firmly in the camp of protecting a runner on BOTH sides of the bag when a fielder is standing on the base and there's no play (in other words ... F4 standing on 2nd as a runner is running, that runner has been obstructed between 1st and 2nd AND has been obstructed between 2nd and 3rd)...

in this play, the obstruction is clearly in front of first base - therefore the protection is only between home and first.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 07, 2015, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
As best as I can visualize from the OP, only protected at first, and she lost that protection when she made her move toward second?

If ITUJ, the OBD prevented reaching 2nd because she was down; possible to award 1st after the tag. Very unlikely.
No, it's not. If the OBS prevented her from reaching 2nd, she's entitled to second. Award her that (and from the description of the play, I think that's what I have, but HTBT. The coach thought she could make it in spite of laying on the ground for a while so the throw was probably fairly errant.

The only way to get her safe at first is if you have her obstructed between 1st and second. Now if she had fallen toward second and not gotten up, I don't think any of us would allow her to be tagged out (having passed the base she was entitled to). If that's right, then the only way you get to MD's conclusion is if you believe that falling past first is like overrunning and therefore the obstruction didn't also occur between first and second.
I'm protecting a runner as IMJ, the obstruction occurred from the point of contact to the point at which she fell, not just at the point of contact.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2015, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Is the BR protected between first and second due to the Obstruction at first base? Or was she only protected at first, and she lost that protection when she made her move toward second?
I choose "B".

Many times I'll hear a coach imploring his runner(s) to "go, go, go" at the first sign of an overthrow. Then they realize the defense was heads up and executed their backup responsibilities properly. Then it's "no, no, no".

Another assumption from the OP is that the BR did manage to touch the base while tumbling after the collision. While perhaps not relevant to the immediate discussion, an OBS runner is still required to touch the base(s).
Old Tue Jul 07, 2015, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, obstructed runners are still required to legally run the bases. So, even if the umpire judged the runner would have safely reached 2nd and awarded it after the out, the runner is still required to touch 1st. If she doesnt, she is subject to being out on appeal.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2015, 05:27pm
Administrator

The discussion that this play has generated is a good reason for at least the NFHS Softball Rules Committee to adopt the NFHS Baseball Rules Obstruction Rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 07, 2015, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

While some of the prior responses spoke in absolutes, it is important to remember that the obstruction rule includes two forms of protection that are BOTH in effect, not mutually exclusive.

First, the runner is always protected to the base the umpire believes would have been attained if not obstructed. In this play, you need to give the runner the benefit of any reasonable chance she would have made 2nd on the original play; if so, if put out before reaching it, it should be awarded.

The second form of protection is the "between the two bases" format, and while it has some notable exclusions, it doesn't override or limit the first form. But, if you believe the runner would have never safely reached 2nd, you need to also give the runner the benefit of reasonable protection. If a runner is knocked over right in front of a base and falls beyond that base, it isn't at all unreasonable to consider the possibility that the runner may have been able to make a turn, and that the collision did and obviously affected her ability to run between first and second, be it safely or at risk. This form does NOT require you to conclude she would be safe; just that her ability to run unhindered has been taken away illegally.

In the first form, the runner would be safe at second, and in the second form, can legally be returned safely to first base. The effort by the coach to push her to take the chance at second shouldn't be used (nor does the rule allow) to take away her protection.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2015, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Batter bunts the ball toward F1. F1 fields and throws to F3, but the throw is wide, pulling F3 into the BR's path, and F3 cannot catch the ball. The BR collides with F3 just in front of the orange bag, and falls beyond the bag about ten feet or so. BU throws out the left arm for the Obstruction call. F9, backing up the play at first, fields the errant throw.

While the BR is getting up, she hears her first base coach tell her to go to second. The BR starts heading that way, but then turns back toward first when she sees F9 with the ball. F9 throws to F3, and the BR is tagged before she reaches the bag on the headfirst slide back.

To me this is a HTBT situation. Based on the description, I don't see this as a sure thing that the runner would have made it to second barring the obstruction, therefore I have him/her only protected to first base. When she choose to go towards second she has now gone by the base she was protected to. Again, this is a HTBT situation though.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2015, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
...I don't see this as a sure thing that the runner would have made it to second barring the obstruction, therefore I have him/her only protected to first base...
I don't use "sure thing" as the standard. While it does need to be judged as the base the runner would have achieved, meaning that it is not an award as a penalty; the runner must have had a reasonably good chance to have reached the advanced base. The benefit of the doubt goes to the runner. This is a bit lower than a sure thing standard. That's what I do, anyway.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The discussion that this play has generated is a good reason for at least the NFHS Softball Rules Committee to adopt the NFHS Baseball Rules Obstruction Rule.

MTD, Sr.
and that NFHS baseball obstruction rule is ...???
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 01:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsumpntx View Post
and that NFHS baseball obstruction rule is ...???

Situation: B/R1 has rounds 1B and goes about ten feet toward 2B. B1 now decides to return to 1B. F4 obstructs B1 while he/she is attempting to return to 1B and B1 is tagged out.

NFHS Softball: The out is negated and B1 is awarded 1B.

NFHS Baseball: The out is negated and B1 is awarded 2B.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jul 09, 2015, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation: B/R1 has rounds 1B and goes about ten feet toward 2B. B1 now decides to return to 1B. F4 obstructs B1 while he/she is attempting to return to 1B and B1 is tagged out.

MTD, Sr.
Yeah, I'll stick with the softball application, thank you very much
Old Fri Jul 10, 2015, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
The softball version makes more sense 99% of the time. OBS awards are not meant to be punitive, but rather are meant to make things back to what they would have been absent the obstruction (the only real punitive part is that the defense might lose the opportunity for an out that they might have otherwise gotten). Baseball's version adds on penalties. Not a fan.

West Houston Mike