The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 04:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Really? Seriously? (NFHS Interp)

From the 2010 FED softball interps:

With no outs & R1, B2 hits an over-the-fence home run. R1 scores and as B2 rounds third, her teammates line uo on the third-base foul line and give her "high fives" as she heads for home. One teammate reaches out & pushes her toward home plate.

RULING: Even though this is during a dead ball, the teammate who pushed B2 toward is in violation of assisting a runner. R1's run counts, and B2 is called out for being physically assisted.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
From the 2010 FED softball interps:

With no outs & R1, B2 hits an over-the-fence home run. R1 scores and as B2 rounds third, her teammates line uo on the third-base foul line and give her "high fives" as she heads for home. One teammate reaches out & pushes her toward home plate.

RULING: Even though this is during a dead ball, the teammate who pushed B2 toward is in violation of assisting a runner. R1's run counts, and B2 is called out for being physically assisted.
Well, that is how the rule reads. Does not have the "live ball" qualifier ASA does.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 06:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, that is how the rule reads. Does not have the "live ball" qualifier ASA does.
Sounds like an opportunity to change a rule rather than write an interp that's as silly as this one.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like an opportunity to change a rule rather than write an interp that's as silly as this one.

Rich......You are right that this would be a great opportunity to change the rule.......but you have to remember that coaches have a great influence on NFHS rules and interps. That is why there are many odd interps for HS rules vs. ASA. I am sure you have had a BB HS coach want an out for a high five on an over the fence home run in the years you have umpired.

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Thu Mar 04, 2010 at 08:30pm.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, you could always happen to have been looking the other way at the critical moment...
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Well, you could always happen to have been looking the other way at the critical moment...
There are 4 critical moments -- the touching of the bases and the plate. I probably wouldn't see this -- who watches a runner every step of the way around the bases on a dead ball home run?
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are 4 critical moments -- the touching of the bases and the plate. I probably wouldn't see this -- who watches a runner every step of the way around the bases on a dead ball home run?
I do.

It is a dead ball, but you still have active runners. What else have you got to do other than watch the runners touch the bases? This is one of the best times for the BU as s/he can leisurely stroll across the field, watch the runner(s) touch the bases and then move back into position. The PU just needs to watch two and in some cases, just one touch. Meanwhile, s/he can come into the infield with the mask off and take a casual breath of fresh air with no urgency whatsoever.