The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Custom Bats?

On another forum, a player asked about Custom X Bats, a manufacturer that allows players to create custom designs on their bats. Their website is here:

https://www.customxbats.com/SoftBallBatLab.php

According to the manufacturer, they will have both ASA-legal and USSSA-legal bats available for purchase.

Softball bats just got that much more interesting for umpires.

Just a heads up, guys.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

That bat may be ASA legal before the customization process, but would be altered after the process.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
That bat may be ASA legal before the customization process, but would be altered after the process.
The manufacturer believes otherwise. Since the bat will arrive from the factory already customized, I would be hard pressed to deem this an altered bat. It's not the players who are putting the custom paint job on the bat, it arrives from the factory this way.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
The manufacturer believes otherwise. Since the bat will arrive from the factory already customized, I would be hard pressed to deem this an altered bat. It's not the players who are putting the custom paint job on the bat, it arrives from the factory this way.
I tend to agree. Since this is the way it is manufactured, and if it meets all other specifications, no reason why this would not be legal. ASA doesn't address one of a kind manufactures, at least not yet.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
At the risk of seeming a little "bat"ty:
- if the custom people are not the original mfr and violate 3-1-H, that would make it an altered bat
- if the custom people were the original mfr., then the design would have to be tested to comply with ASA standards
- if the bat does not comply with the approved/non-approved lists in an identifiable manner, that would mean rejection of the bat

I don't think any rules mention who does the altering.

Yes, after vacation I will sit down and re-learn the entire bat rule.

Last edited by CecilOne; Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 02:34pm.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
At the risk of seeming a little batty:
- if the custom people are not the original mfr and violate 3-1-H, that would make it an altered bat
- if the custom people were the original mfr., then the design would have to be tested to comply with ASA standards
- if the bat does not comply with the approved/non-approved lists in an identifiable manner, that would mean rejection of the bat

Apparently their product is already ASA approved, or else that is what they are leading us to believe. According to the website, you can order a bat that is already approved, and just have it finished however you would like. According to rule 3:1:A-I, if this is the way the bat appears at the point of manufacture, and if it is not on the banned bat list, then this is a perfectly acceptable bat.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Apparently their product is already ASA approved, or else that is what they are leading us to believe. According to the website, you can order a bat that is already approved, and just have it finished however you would like. According to rule 3:1:A-I, if this is the way the bat appears at the point of manufacture, and if it is not on the banned bat list, then this is a perfectly acceptable bat.
Well, therein lies the rub. I emailed the manufacturer, and their response was that they are still working it out with ASA. However, their email to me implied that the bats ALREADY HAVE the ASA stamp, which is a little troubling.

Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

So this is THE factory or Joes Garage Factory?

It seems to me that there is no way these are legal, but i dont know. I guess we'll probably get a ruling at some point.

They seem clearly ALTERED.

That is my initial ruling.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see the issue. There is no requirement that a bat be painted/decorated in a specific manner.

AFAIC, as long as the bat is identifiable (manufacturer's name and the model name and/or number), has the ASA certification stamp and is not on the Non-approved Bat List, it is good to go providing it meets all other requirements set forth in ASA Rule 3.1
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't see the issue. There is no requirement that a bat be painted/decorated in a specific manner.

AFAIC, as long as the bat is identifiable (manufacturer's name and the model name and/or number), has the ASA certification stamp and is not on the Non-approved Bat List, it is good to go providing it meets all other requirements set forth in ASA Rule 3.1
I agree. I do, however, foresee a LOT of umpires looking at the bat and saying, "wtf?!" With custom bats like these, I worry about consistency among umpires. Some umpires will trust the ASA stamp, others may question its validity.

It's one thing if it's a new Easton or Miken, but this company is brand new to the sport. I'm much less likely to question a new bat with the stamp if it's from Easton than if it's from a company that does "custom paint jobs."

Still, I'm going to keep an eye on these bats. We'll see what happens if/when they get approved.

I was a little bit concerned when their email to me seemed to imply that they are already putting the ASA stamp on their bats. I wasn't aware they were allowed to do so. Maybe I misread their email.

Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was a little bit concerned when their email to me seemed to imply that they are already putting the ASA stamp on their bats. I wasn't aware they were allowed to do so. Maybe I misread their email.
Well, the only way they put the stamp on the bat is if they have executed a license agreement with ASA or they are asking for one helluva lawsuit.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, the only way they put the stamp on the bat is if they have executed a license agreement with ASA or they are asking for one helluva lawsuit.
I'm going to see if they're already putting them on...

Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, therein lies the rub. I emailed the manufacturer, and their response was that they are still working it out with ASA. However, their email to me implied that the bats ALREADY HAVE the ASA stamp, which is a little troubling.
Yes, but did you email ccress?
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

this sounds like gift items like buttons, mugs, and t-shirts imprinted with pictures you can buy from most gift places in the malls.

I wonder if we would have to start throwing out bats because of controversial pictures depicting lewd, religious, or offensive graphics on the bats.

Quote:
On another forum, a player asked about Custom X Bats, a manufacturer that allows players to create custom designs on their bats. Their website is here:

https://www.customxbats.com/SoftBallBatLab.php

According to the manufacturer, they will have both ASA-legal and USSSA-legal bats available for purchase.

Softball bats just got that much more interesting for umpires.

Just a heads up, guys.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

We'll need guidance on this then at some point. How can I tell who put suzie's name on the bat, the vendor in the parking lot painting helmets or the factory? (if this is a real factory). Typically, extra painting on a bat different from the bat that got approved by bat, would mean it is altered. Hopefully by nats they have it figured out... if it becomes an issue.