The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

your call plz

2 outs, bottom 7, tie ball game, runners on 1st and 3rd, batter gets base hit, runner on 3rd scores, ball is tossed to the infield around pitching rubber, defensive and offensive players, assuming the game is over, begin to vacate field, as they do an offensive player picks the ball up and tosses it into the dugout, the batter/runner had touched 1st base, but the runner on 1st never touched 2nd base, as they are celebrating their supposive win the defensive coach approaches umpire and wants to appeal that the runner on 1st never touched 2nd and vacated the field for an out that would eliminate the run because of the force out...whats the verdict
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateump View Post
2 outs, bottom 7, tie ball game, runners on 1st and 3rd, batter gets base hit, runner on 3rd scores, ball is tossed to the infield around pitching rubber, defensive and offensive players, assuming the game is over, begin to vacate field, as they do an offensive player picks the ball up and tosses it into the dugout, the batter/runner had touched 1st base, but the runner on 1st never touched 2nd base, as they are celebrating their supposive win the defensive coach approaches umpire and wants to appeal that the runner on 1st never touched 2nd and vacated the field for an out that would eliminate the run because of the force out...whats the verdict
Speaking ASA

Why are you worried about the ball? You don't need no stinking ball!!

However, I hope the coach brought along an infielder, pitcher or catcher who have yet to leave fair territory to interpret
for him.

If the appeal is made within the allowance provided by rule, I am going to have to find a store that sells beer before I go home.

Yeah, yeah, I know the catcher doesn't play in fair territory. Stop being a putz. If the catcher hasn't left her immediate playing area for the dugout, I will accept an appeal from him/her.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 02:38pm.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

why the arragant condescension,,,you cant be any fun on the field
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lacking citation, I assume you are referring to the last paragraph. Just trying to get ahead of the subsequent issues which may be raised by others.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Funny thing about message boards - the same words can be interpreted differently by different readers.

I thought the answer was written with a humorous touch, sarcastic, yes, but humorus nonetheless.

In fact, I was thinking that the tone was probably beer inspired, maybe mixed with a little cabin fever.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't worry much about Mike. He's actually a teddybear.

HugoTafurst is right... Comments like his can be misinterpreted. Sure, he can have a little bite in his words, but he's not one to be offensive. You just gotta get to know him, is all.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Don't worry much about Mike. He's actually a teddybear.

HugoTafurst is right... Comments like his can be misinterpreted. Sure, he can have a little bite in his words, but he's not one to be offensive. You just gotta get to know him, is all.

Well....I'm offended!!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahtboi View Post
well....i'm offended!!!!
p.o.o.p.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

you gotta be funny to be funny.

if you gotta think about it with any effort, it ain't funny. clever perhaps, but not funny. wise azz prolly, but not funny.

if you gotta explain a joke, then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Funny thing about message boards - the same words can be interpreted differently by different readers.

I thought the answer was written with a humorous touch, sarcastic, yes, but humorus nonetheless.

In fact, I was thinking that the tone was probably beer inspired, maybe mixed with a little cabin fever.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

wow,,yall must luv to hear yourselves talk or are scared of the sitch,,cuz ive only read one half-hearted answer
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
wow,,yall must luv to hear yourselves talk or are scared of the sitch,,cuz ive only read one half-hearted answer
So, who's being arrogant now?? How many answers do you think you need to hear after the one right one is already posted?

If you need to hear more plainly, here it is. The defensive coach cannot make an appeal, either live ball or dead ball, in ASA. The ball became dead when thrown out of play, but that doesn't excuse runners from the requirements to legally run the bases. So, if an infielder (including pitcher or catcher; not an outfielder or coach) that hasn't left the field of play makes a dead ball appeal on the runner from first failing to touch the base forced to touch (second) to an umpire that also hasn't left the field, then the winning run does not score.

Start the 8th if they appeal properly; end the game if they do not. What else do you not understand?

By the way, what is a supposive win? Did you mean supposed (or assumed) win?

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 08:59pm.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

you won't get a straight answer from a clown, so don't expect one. you'll most likely get insults.

Quote:
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, based on the poorly posted scenario, the verdict is.......nothing as a proper appeal was not made.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting sitch. A little bizarre, but interesting. Breaking it down under NCAA rules here's how I see it:

1.2 outs, bottom 7, tie ball game, runners on 1st and 3rd, batter gets base hit,runner on 3rd scores...
At this point the game is over (for the moment anyway)...you have a winner. 6.2.1

2....an offensive player picks the ball up and tosses it into the dugout...
Not pertinent to sitch. The ball became dead when the runner from 3rd scored giving the home team the winning run (for the moment) in the bottom of the 7th. 6.12.1.2.1

3. ......defensive coach approaches umpire and wants to appeal....
OK under NCAA rules. 7.1.2.2.1

4. Now IF, (as it was not stated in your OP), that the DC's request for an appeal of the runner on 1st failed to touch 2nd, was made "before the pitcher and all infielders have clearly vacated their normal fielding positions and have left fair territory, and the catcher has clearly vacated her normal her normal fielding position." 7.1.1.2.3
You have a dead ball appeal. 3 outs. Score still tied. Visitors lead off the top of the 8th inning.

5. If defense DID NOT meet the requirements in #4 for a proper dead ball appeal,
Game over. Home team wins.

Last edited by KJUmp; Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 10:59pm. Reason: spacing
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Half-hearted answer? You got a correct answer that pretty much covered it all!

If the missed base is properly appealed, the run is cancelled. The game is tied and we continue to the top of the eighth.

If it's not, game over, home team wins.