The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I've Already Had Enough of the Olympics (Rant)

Settled in to catch the opening ceremony of the Olympics, watched the piece about the luger who died. Of course, they had to find an equipment issue, but putting pads on those girders probably wouldn't have helped that much at 80+ mph.

Love the portions about Canada, beautiful country especially the Rockies. Interesting clip on the torch run though I could do without Arnold on the screen longer than 5 seconds.

Then started the preview of the coverage which was nothing more than a commercial about the show within the show. Those sneaky little *******s

Then came Quincy Jones and Wathephucsisname, Lionel something or something Lionel with their pitch of We are the Scam of the World, the Sequel. You know, where all the proceeds (that is an important word here) go to feed the hungry and and provide medicines, yada, yada, yada. Then just as the NBC announcers started to promo this money grab, for profit benefit event, I.......oh, look, there' Criminal Minds.

Nevermind!
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 11:31pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Settled in to catch the opening ceremony of the Olympics, watched the piece about the luger who died. Of course, they had to find an equipment issue, but putting pads on those girders probably wouldn't have helped that much at 80+ mph.

Love the portions about Canada, beautiful country especially the Rockies. Interesting clip on the torch run though I could do without Arnold on the screen longer than 5 seconds.

Then started the preview of the coverage which was nothing more than a commercial about the show within the show. Those sneaky little *******s

Then came Quincy Jones and Wathephucsisname, Lionel something or something Lionel with their pitch of We are the Scam of the World, the Sequel. You know, where all the proceeds (that is an important word here) go to feed the hungry and and provide medicines, yada, yada, yada. Then just as the NBC announcers started to promo this money grab, for profit benefit event, I.......oh, look, there' Criminal Minds.

Nevermind!

Here in Toledo, Ohio, our cable system carries the CBC. Many times we watch the Olympics on the channel rather than on NBC.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Here in Toledo, Ohio, our cable system carries the CBC. Many times we watch the Olympics on the channel rather than on NBC.

MTD, Sr.
Wish I had that luck!
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 08:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Wish I had that luck!
Not so lucky this year, Mike.

I looked forward to watching CBC, which, historically, had excellently balanced reporting on the Olympics and Olympic athletes from all countries and did not emphasize the U.S. programs.

Unfortunately, the larger CTV underbid CBC, and we will be locked into the commercial laden coverage of NBC sports.
Sucks to be me, eh?
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nevermind!
Kind of makes you wish there was a softball game to work, eh?

I'd stay and talk more, but I've got to get ready for a DH.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Kind of makes you wish there was a softball game to work, eh?
No, you see I have a life and it involves more than softball.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, you see I have a life and it involves more than softball.
Not sure many people would buy that. Lets see you have 9,625 posts here on official forum, 4286 posts on eteamz. With the rough estimates based on the time you have been enrolled in both those sites, that's about 4.1 posts per day, everyday. Plus I assume you still umpire, UIC, attend the National UIC clinics, and a host of other softball related things.....I don't think that would leave much room for other things in your life!!
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Not sure many people would buy that. Lets see you have 9,625 posts here on official forum, 4286 posts on eteamz. With the rough estimates based on the time you have been enrolled in both those sites, that's about 4.1 posts per day, everyday. Plus I assume you still umpire, UIC, attend the National UIC clinics, and a host of other softball related things.....I don't think that would leave much room for other things in your life!!
And I've also been spotting him on another softball-related forum, too...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Hell, you missed about another half-dozen softball sites I frequent.

Multitasking. For example, I attended a professional lacrosse game (Phila vs Buffalo) last night and posted from the terminal in the box.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

How about this: I live in Oregon. Vancouver is about a 6-7 hour drive away. But every evening when NBC advertises events "live in prime time" I know that really means "live on the East Coast" and I will be watching on a 3 hour tape delay. Not only that, they insert edited events from earlier in the day and chop them up to manufacture suspense.

The good news is the Olympics website lists results as they actually happen. As I did in 2008, I can go there instead of dealing with NBC's artificial drama. There is enough real excitement in the events themselves.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(snip)

Multitasking. For example, I attended a professional lacrosse game (Phila vs Buffalo) last night and posted from the terminal in the box.
Nuff said
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hell, you missed about another half-dozen softball sites I frequent.

I rest my case your honor.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 07:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Not so lucky this year, Mike.

I looked forward to watching CBC, which, historically, had excellently balanced reporting on the Olympics and Olympic athletes from all countries and did not emphasize the U.S. programs.

Unfortunately, the larger CTV underbid CBC, and we will be locked into the commercial laden coverage of NBC sports.
Sucks to be me, eh?

Dang it. No wonder I have not been able to find the Winter Olympics on CBC.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

it's gone all downhill since it went to 2yrs. since they removed softball, I'll never watch another olympics ever again.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
How about this: I live in Oregon. Vancouver is about a 6-7 hour drive away. But every evening when NBC advertises events "live in prime time" I know that really means "live on the East Coast" and I will be watching on a 3 hour tape delay. Not only that, they insert edited events from earlier in the day and chop them up to manufacture suspense.
If I'm on the West coast and I'm looking for a particular event, my wife and I scout out the bars in advance to see who had satellite to get the game live.