The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

FED test

Why are there score keeping questions on the umpiring test? The one I took had 4 questions dealing with who was the winning pitcher of record, if a starting pitcher could be credited with both a win and a save, who had the ultimate authority in determining if a batted ball was a hit or an error and there was another about which pitcher was credited with an earned run. Last I knew we didnt keep the score book.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
In 14 years of Fed ball, those are four things I've never dealt with. Whomever the winning pitcher is, is of no concern to me.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Why are there score keeping questions on the umpiring test? The one I took had 4 questions dealing with who was the winning pitcher of record, if a starting pitcher could be credited with both a win and a save, who had the ultimate authority in determining if a batted ball was a hit or an error and there was another about which pitcher was credited with an earned run. Last I knew we didnt keep the score book.
Those questions are there becuase FED issued some rules clarifications this year regarding these issues...so they have to put them on the scorekeepers, uhh, umpires test to make sure we read the book!
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Those questions are there becuase FED issued some rules clarifications this year regarding these issues...so they have to put them on the scorekeepers, uhh, umpires test to make sure we read the book!

what book?????
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
what book?????
The all-important Rule 9 of the NFHS Rules Book, specifically 9-6-6.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
what book?????
So you are alive....would you please send me an email or respond to my facebook message.....
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down FED Test

:confused We have enough to do with out worrying who won. We already are a secretary, policeman, judge, jury, rule interpreter, peace maker, accountant, on & on. Now someone wants us to keep score??? OMG.
We do not have our 2010 books yet and no notice of the test week?
Good luck.

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

I have called NFHS in 3 states. I just found out if we attend a mandatory rules interpretation meeting held each year, then we are exempted from having to take the test each year. Anyone else have a similar state regulation? Basically, just the new folks take the test each year. It wasn't this was in the other states I was in. Seems odd.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

You're probably going to find a wide range of different requirements from state-to-state. A quick rundown of what we have to do in Ohio (or, at least, in the central disrict of Ohio- this can sometimes vary even between different association within the same state):

New officials (Class 2 permit): Attend a minimum of 21 hours of classroom training, then take the first year FED test (minimum 80% grade, open book) to obtain your officiating permit. Must attend mandatory state rules interpretation meeting in order to be eligible to work games your first year. Class 2 officials are not eligible for post-season assignments.

Once you have one season of experience as a Class 2 official, you may become certified as a Class 1 official (may work post-season games). You will have to attend another 21 hours of classroom training and pass a closed book FED test. You also must attend the mandatory state rules meeting.

To remain eligible to work games each year, you must attend a minimum of (4) local association meetings and the state rules interpretation meeting. Once you've obtained an officiating permit, you are not required to take the FED test annually to retain certification.

Basically, you have to attend the state rules meeting every year no matter what and you are done with the FED test once you obtain Class 1 certification.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Score Keeping questions.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I couldn't even begin to give you an answer. I don't concern myself with scorekeeping, other than when it comes to a batting out of order appeal or if a run scores or not. Other that those two, the rest is up to the scorekeeper. I don't like NOT having a "neutral" scorekeeper. Now, I have to check between innings to make sure each team has the same score. If there is a problem, I need to know NOW, not 3 innings from now.