The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

McDavid hex pad shirt ??

This may be old, but not to me. I happened to see this on an umpire equipment site. I'd love to umpire during the hotter days here w/o my regular chest protector, but would like some protection and this looks like it might work. Anyone here have any input ? Thanks in advance.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

I can never imagine anyone not wanting to protect themselves to the fullest. But, that is just me. Saw a buddy of mine separate her shoulder during a 10U state tourney years ago, because she thought she could do without a chest protector in the 103 degree heat. Pretty much ended her career.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
This may be old, but not to me. I happened to see this on an umpire equipment site. I'd love to umpire during the hotter days here w/o my regular chest protector, but would like some protection and this looks like it might work. Anyone here have any input ? Thanks in advance.
I understand the desire use something light in hotter weather. I'm in SOCAL so I feel your pain. I have a K2 but I only use it for 10U because it doesn't gives me enough protection for my ribs. I use the ProNine protector for older kids but as great as it is it gets really hot under it sometimes. I was hoping that the hex pad shirt might give enough rib protection to allow me to use it with my K2 when I do 12U/14U. I'd like to hear some feedback too before I shell out that kind of money for it.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

A friend of mine used the Hex Pad last year in a 14u game. 2 broken ribs. Personally, I agree with optimal protection. The alternative is just tough if that one ball gets you the wrong way. I must say, I had a tough partner...he did the bases with the broken ribs (which he didn't know about until the x-ray that night) and he watched me get hit, but luckily I had on the Wilson Gold.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

So far it looks like I might as well save my $$ and make sure I hydrate well before each game. I understand about injury and I have taken a few direct hits to my inside protector that I think might have been trouble w/o it. I'm a big guy 6'3"/290 and work the slot, so I am a big target for errant foul balls and wild pitches. Thanks for the input.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
So far it looks like I might as well save my $$ and make sure I hydrate well before each game. I understand about injury and I have taken a few direct hits to my inside protector that I think might have been trouble w/o it. I'm a big guy 6'3"/290 and work the slot, so I am a big target for errant foul balls and wild pitches. Thanks for the input.
Another thing that I do in the oppressive heat and humidity is to carry a small ice chest with me and leave out of the way somewhere on the field, but close enough to where I can get to it between innings. In this ice chest are two hand towels, ice, water, and spirits of ammonia. It really helps.

Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

By the way, that is ice, water and spirits of ammonia mixed together, with the towels soaking in them.

Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
By the way, that is ice, water and spirits of ammonia mixed together, with the towels soaking in them.
I tried that this year, but it smelled too much like cat piss.

Very COLD cat piss, but cat piss nonetheless!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I tried that this year, but it smelled too much like cat piss.

Very COLD cat piss, but cat piss nonetheless!
Try wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Try wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol.
Eh..I think it is just Dave's sense of smell.

Heck, I have used this system for years to beat the heat. I also have two cats. The spirits of ammonia in no way resemble cat piss, believe me!

Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Eh..I think it is just Dave's sense of smell.

Heck, I have used this system for years to beat the heat. I also have two cats. The spirits of ammonia in no way resemble cat piss, believe me!
Maybe my cats peed in my cooler...

They peed on my Sig once.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Protection

Quote:
I can never imagine anyone not wanting to protect themselves to the fullest. But, that is just me. Saw a buddy of mine separate her shoulder during a 10U state tourney years ago, because she thought she could do without a chest protector in the 103 degree heat. Pretty much ended her career.
No, not just you, Scott. No matter what level of ball I'm umpiring, I'm wearing some sort of protection. Now that I've gone back to umpiring youth and adult SP softball, I wear a cup. In my baseball days, it was "the whole 9 yards" - mask, chest protector, cup, shin guards. True story: A friend of mine was the base umpire in a men's SP game years ago. With R2 on second and 1 out, he was out in the "B" position (near the 2nd baseman). Batter hits a line drive to the 3rd baseman, who catches it and fires to second in an attempt to double off R2. Well, the throw was off and what did not help matters is that the second baseman had to jump to avoid the runner sliding back in to the base. The fielder took his eye off the ball for a split second. Well, the ball deflected off the back of his glove, and my friend was in a direct line behind the play. He never saw the ball coming and it hit him square in the groin. He limped in between innings and said to me: "Steve, I've been umpiring 20 years and have NEVER been hit in the groin by a ball." I added: "Until now." Believe me, observing that REINFORCED my belief that YOU WEAR A CUP AT EVERY LEVEL OF BALL AND REGARDLESS IF YOU ARE A PLATE OR BASE UMPIRE. Those of who have been hit by a "softball" KNOW that it is anything but a "soft" ball when you get hit. Last year, I got hit by a THROWN softball from the outfield. It caught me on the back of my right hand and broke the 5th metacarpal bone. Ended my season right there.