The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drvestal
I umpire baseball and not softball, so maybe the ruling is different, but I don't think so. This happened in my adult league softball game last night.

R2, R3, 1 out- Batter hits ground ball down 3rd base line in fair territory. The ball hits R3, who is standing on the bag in fair territory and and the ball bounces toward 2nd base. No play could then be made by our 3rd baseman. Umpire rules fair ball. B1 is safe at first, bases now loaded, still 1 out.

I believe he got the call wrong. R3 should be out. Just because you are standing on a base you are not protected from a ball and you must get out of the way of a hit ball so a play can be made by the fielder.

Can someone please confirm for me?

Thanks.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
If your adult league is governed by ASA rules, then the umpire was correct. This is covered in a POE in the ASA rulebook. A runner is never called out when struck by a fair batted while in contact with a base unless the act was intentional. The ball reemains alive or is dead depending on the position of the nearest defender.

SamC
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Also, a runner isn't required to put her/himself in jeopardy by abandoning the base.

Bob
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Drvestal,

The difference from baseball makes sense if you consider it for a moment.

In baseball the runner is not restricted as to when he can leave the base, and the diamond for adults is much larger.

In softball, the runner is restricted to remaining in contact with the base untill (faspitch)the ball leavees the pitcher's hand or (slowpitch) the ball reaches the plate. Add he small diamond and an R3 might not have time to avoid the batted ball with these new bats. That is why it is called the "hot corner"!

Roger Greene
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
If your adult league is governed by ASA rules, then the umpire was correct. This is covered in a POE in the ASA rulebook. A runner is never called out when struck by a fair batted while in contact with a base unless the act was intentional. The ball reemains alive or is dead depending on the position of the nearest defender.

SamC
For the record, the same is true in USSSA.

Scott
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drvestal
I umpire baseball and not softball, so maybe the ruling is different, but I don't think so. This happened in my adult league softball game last night.

R2, R3, 1 out- Batter hits ground ball down 3rd base line in fair territory. The ball hits R3, who is standing on the bag in fair territory and and the ball bounces toward 2nd base. No play could then be made by our 3rd baseman. Umpire rules fair ball. B1 is safe at first, bases now loaded, still 1 out.

I believe he got the call wrong. R3 should be out. Just because you are standing on a base you are not protected from a ball and you must get out of the way of a hit ball so a play can be made by the fielder.

Can someone please confirm for me?

Thanks.
Just one more difference between two games that are not the same.

Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drvestal
Thanks everyone for your reply. Our games are played under ASA rules. I didn't argue the call with the ump since I wasn't sure if there was a rule difference. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

USSSA rules

Scott is correct that the baserunner is never called out in USSSA if unintentionally hit while on base.

However, unlike ASA, in USSSA the ball is live regardless of where the fielder is.