Thread: Tied-game
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Ooops, Irish I'm sorry! I guess you've misunderstoud me: I've had many tie-breakers, but only 2 games that had to end after 9 innings (by our Dutch rule) and was still tied...

Extra innings are indeed fined by buing a round for the crew by the PU. This rule doesn't apply for our competition; we work in 2-umpire crew... However in European Tournaments (European Champoinships and EuroCups) the PU has to buy a round for all the assigned umpires in the Tournament, the UIC, TC-members and scorers. In the play-off and the Dutch Final, we work in 3-umpire crew, then the PU has to buy for his BU's and the scorer.
Almost all the play-offs and finals I've worked the UIC and other BigLeague-umpires come to visit the crew in the dressingroom. They never come empty handed and always bring a cold one allong for the crew. Showering can be a long during process...
No, I didn't. I understood exactly what you were saying. I just noted the priority on this side of the Atlantic. Umpires have been known to line up behind the backstop waiting for that final out of 7th inning. And if it did go to the 8th, they would simulate popping open a can of beer.

The only difference is that the PU is not held any more accountable than those working the bases. The crew buys for everyone.