The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rule Changes

Okay, as usual, I will ask for any ideas you may have for prospective rule changes.

No promises, just looking for input.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

43ft for 14-U and up.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
43ft for 14-U and up.
I was leaning more toward 16U as many of those true teams are playing 18 and I believe the aggressive 14s are playing 16U.

We'll see what happens.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Modify the unreported substitute rule so that it matches the rules supplement. (A batter not reaching base can still have the advances he caused nullified). This appears to be the intent but is directly contrary to the language as written.
________
Head Shop

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:07pm.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

1 - Unlimited arc for higher classifications of SP play.

Why? Hit the f'ing ball!

2 - Immediate dead ball and an out on any runner who intentionally and maliciously makes contact with a defensive player, regardless of whether or not the fielder has the ball.

Why? They're not playing softball anymore, and the play needs to be killed so teams can prevent and/or mop up the mess.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Mon Aug 03, 2009 at 02:43pm.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
2 - Immediate dead ball and an out on any runner who intentionally and maliciously makes contact with a defensive player.

Why? They're not playing softball anymore, and the play needs to be killed so teams can prevent and/or mop up the mess.
Isn't this the rule now?
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
Isn't this the rule now?
Sort of... I added a clarification.

I meant for it to be regardless whether or not the defensive player has the ball. Currently, the fielder must have the ball for it to be a dead ball, INT call. I'd like it to be dead ball, runner's out, coaches need to get a hold of things NOW.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sort of... I added a clarification.

I meant for it to be regardless whether or not the defensive player has the ball. Currently, the fielder must have the ball for it to be a dead ball, INT call. I'd like it to be dead ball, runner's out, coaches need to get a hold of things NOW.
I was about to change my post, lol. I realized you meant into a fielder without the ball. Gotcha.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I was leaning more toward 16U as many of those true teams are playing 18 and I believe the aggressive 14s are playing 16U.

We'll see what happens.
I'm with you on this... 43' for 16U and up.

And, speaking of NFHS leading the way, after a couple of HS seasons, I'd suggest that metal cleats be legal for 16U and up, too.

If you're up for it, try again to get a "can't avoid" exception added to the BR INT with a D3K rule.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Modify the unreported substitute rule so that it matches the rules supplement. (A batter not reaching base can still have the advances he caused nullified). This appears to be the intent but is directly contrary to the language as written.
Already have this one on paper.

Thanks
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1 - Unlimited arc for higher classifications of SP play.

Why? Hit the f'ing ball!
This is not a sellable issue. Too many players already complaining about the 12' and too many pitchers cannot throw a strike now! ASA SP is having a hard enough time as it is with the competition which uses a lower restriction.

Quote:
2 - Immediate dead ball and an out on any runner who intentionally and maliciously makes contact with a defensive player, regardless of whether or not the fielder has the ball.

I've had this one shot down (twice I think) in the past five years. HP couldn't sell this one.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If you're up for it, try again to get a "can't avoid" exception added to the BR INT with a D3K rule.
I'll dig this out and see if there is any reasonable possibility of getting through.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is not a sellable issue. Too many players already complaining about the 12' and too many pitchers cannot throw a strike now! ASA SP is having a hard enough time as it is with the competition which uses a lower restriction.
That's my point, though. One of the biggest criticisms of ASA by the players is that they don't innovate. ASA is considered the "old school" of doing things. I'm not talking doing that crazy sh1t like U-Trip (GOD no!). I'm talking about removing the height limit in a game that's completely favoring the batter. Yeah, they whine about the 12' limit... because there IS a limit. Remove the limit, and that's one less thing for them to b1tch about.

There are plenty of pitchers around the US who play in unlimited arc leagues, can toss 'em 30 feet in the air and will drop it on a dime behind HP. Put your money where your mouth is, boys. You want to hit the ball? Swing away.

Quote:
I've had this one shot down (twice I think) in the past five years. HP couldn't sell this one.
A shame. I'd like to see this one get through someday. As I've always said, I have a problem with letting any runner score after they've just plowed over a catcher without the ball.

Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's my point, though. One of the biggest criticisms of ASA by the players is that they don't innovate. ASA is considered the "old school" of doing things. I'm not talking doing that crazy sh1t like U-Trip (GOD no!). I'm talking about removing the height limit in a game that's completely favoring the batter. Yeah, they whine about the 12' limit... because there IS a limit. Remove the limit, and that's one less thing for them to b1tch about.
Actualy, ASA was at one time unlimited. BTW, the SP game is SUPPOSED to favor the batter. The pitcher's job is to throw strikes and cover the middle. It's when the pitcher thinks that they win or lose a game is when it gets screwed up.

Quote:
There are plenty of pitchers around the US who play in unlimited arc leagues, can toss 'em 30 feet in the air and will drop it on a dime behind HP. Put your money where your mouth is, boys. You want to hit the ball? Swing away.
Not in this area! But if you do that, you better bring the mat into play since many of these pitches will NOT pass through the strike zone.

Quote:
A shame. I'd like to see this one get through someday. As I've always said, I have a problem with letting any runner score after they've just plowed over a catcher without the ball.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid it may take a drastic event to get this through.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actualy, ASA was at one time unlimited. BTW, the SP game is SUPPOSED to favor the batter. The pitcher's job is to throw strikes and cover the middle. It's when the pitcher thinks that they win or lose a game is when it gets screwed up.
That was before all of this bat craziness.