The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA Rule Changes (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54214-asa-rule-changes.html)

IRISHMAFIA Mon Aug 03, 2009 01:43pm

ASA Rule Changes

Okay, as usual, I will ask for any ideas you may have for prospective rule changes.

No promises, just looking for input.

tcannizzo Mon Aug 03, 2009 01:54pm

43ft for 14-U and up.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 618644)
43ft for 14-U and up.

I was leaning more toward 16U as many of those true teams are playing 18 and I believe the aggressive 14s are playing 16U.

We'll see what happens.

youngump Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:21pm

Modify the unreported substitute rule so that it matches the rules supplement. (A batter not reaching base can still have the advances he caused nullified). This appears to be the intent but is directly contrary to the language as written.
________
Head Shop

NCASAUmp Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:30pm

1 - Unlimited arc for higher classifications of SP play.

Why? Hit the f'ing ball!

2 - Immediate dead ball and an out on any runner who intentionally and maliciously makes contact with a defensive player, regardless of whether or not the fielder has the ball.

Why? They're not playing softball anymore, and the play needs to be killed so teams can prevent and/or mop up the mess.

Dholloway1962 Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 618649)
2 - Immediate dead ball and an out on any runner who intentionally and maliciously makes contact with a defensive player.

Why? They're not playing softball anymore, and the play needs to be killed so teams can prevent and/or mop up the mess.

Isn't this the rule now?

NCASAUmp Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 (Post 618653)
Isn't this the rule now?

Sort of... I added a clarification.

I meant for it to be regardless whether or not the defensive player has the ball. Currently, the fielder must have the ball for it to be a dead ball, INT call. I'd like it to be dead ball, runner's out, coaches need to get a hold of things NOW.

Dholloway1962 Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 618654)
Sort of... I added a clarification.

I meant for it to be regardless whether or not the defensive player has the ball. Currently, the fielder must have the ball for it to be a dead ball, INT call. I'd like it to be dead ball, runner's out, coaches need to get a hold of things NOW.

I was about to change my post, lol. I realized you meant into a fielder without the ball. Gotcha.

Dakota Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 618647)
I was leaning more toward 16U as many of those true teams are playing 18 and I believe the aggressive 14s are playing 16U.

We'll see what happens.

I'm with you on this... 43' for 16U and up.

And, speaking of NFHS leading the way, after a couple of HS seasons, I'd suggest that metal cleats be legal for 16U and up, too.

If you're up for it, try again to get a "can't avoid" exception added to the BR INT with a D3K rule.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Aug 03, 2009 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 618648)
Modify the unreported substitute rule so that it matches the rules supplement. (A batter not reaching base can still have the advances he caused nullified). This appears to be the intent but is directly contrary to the language as written.

Already have this one on paper.

Thanks

IRISHMAFIA Mon Aug 03, 2009 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 618649)
1 - Unlimited arc for higher classifications of SP play.

Why? Hit the f'ing ball!

This is not a sellable issue. Too many players already complaining about the 12' and too many pitchers cannot throw a strike now! :D ASA SP is having a hard enough time as it is with the competition which uses a lower restriction.

Quote:

2 - Immediate dead ball and an out on any runner who intentionally and maliciously makes contact with a defensive player, regardless of whether or not the fielder has the ball.

I've had this one shot down (twice I think) in the past five years. HP couldn't sell this one.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Aug 03, 2009 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 618658)
If you're up for it, try again to get a "can't avoid" exception added to the BR INT with a D3K rule.

I'll dig this out and see if there is any reasonable possibility of getting through.

NCASAUmp Mon Aug 03, 2009 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 618660)
This is not a sellable issue. Too many players already complaining about the 12' and too many pitchers cannot throw a strike now! :D ASA SP is having a hard enough time as it is with the competition which uses a lower restriction.

That's my point, though. One of the biggest criticisms of ASA by the players is that they don't innovate. ASA is considered the "old school" of doing things. I'm not talking doing that crazy sh1t like U-Trip (GOD no!). I'm talking about removing the height limit in a game that's completely favoring the batter. Yeah, they whine about the 12' limit... because there IS a limit. Remove the limit, and that's one less thing for them to b1tch about.

There are plenty of pitchers around the US who play in unlimited arc leagues, can toss 'em 30 feet in the air and will drop it on a dime behind HP. Put your money where your mouth is, boys. You want to hit the ball? Swing away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 618660)
I've had this one shot down (twice I think) in the past five years. HP couldn't sell this one.

A shame. I'd like to see this one get through someday. As I've always said, I have a problem with letting any runner score after they've just plowed over a catcher without the ball.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Aug 03, 2009 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 618666)
That's my point, though. One of the biggest criticisms of ASA by the players is that they don't innovate. ASA is considered the "old school" of doing things. I'm not talking doing that crazy sh1t like U-Trip (GOD no!). I'm talking about removing the height limit in a game that's completely favoring the batter. Yeah, they whine about the 12' limit... because there IS a limit. Remove the limit, and that's one less thing for them to b1tch about.

Actualy, ASA was at one time unlimited. BTW, the SP game is SUPPOSED to favor the batter. The pitcher's job is to throw strikes and cover the middle. It's when the pitcher thinks that they win or lose a game is when it gets screwed up.

Quote:

There are plenty of pitchers around the US who play in unlimited arc leagues, can toss 'em 30 feet in the air and will drop it on a dime behind HP. Put your money where your mouth is, boys. You want to hit the ball? Swing away.
Not in this area! But if you do that, you better bring the mat into play since many of these pitches will NOT pass through the strike zone.

Quote:

A shame. I'd like to see this one get through someday. As I've always said, I have a problem with letting any runner score after they've just plowed over a catcher without the ball.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid it may take a drastic event to get this through.

NCASAUmp Mon Aug 03, 2009 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 618671)
Actualy, ASA was at one time unlimited. BTW, the SP game is SUPPOSED to favor the batter. The pitcher's job is to throw strikes and cover the middle. It's when the pitcher thinks that they win or lose a game is when it gets screwed up.

That was before all of this bat craziness.