The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Click vs. Rattle (ASA only)

When examining bats before the game (or if brought to your attention during a game), you find that a relatively new bat (from a team that honestly knows nothing of bat doctoring) is making a clicking noise anytime it's tapped against something. What are your thoughts about this?

ASA prohibits bats that make a rattle sound when shaken, but is a click any different?

What say you all?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
When examining bats before the game (or if brought to your attention during a game), you find that a relatively new bat (from a team that honestly knows nothing of bat doctoring) is making a clicking noise anytime it's tapped against something. What are your thoughts about this?

ASA prohibits bats that make a rattle sound when shaken, but is a click any different?

What say you all?
Illegal, not necessarily altered. If you are hearing a noise from inside the bat, something is broken down or become lose that should not have.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Illegal, not necessarily altered. If you are hearing a noise from inside the bat, something is broken down or become lose that should not have.
Mike, I agree with you 110%. Unfortunately, the book only uses the words "audible rattle" when pertaining to a bat that has broken down. My concern is with this specific wording.

My opinion on this is that if there's a click coming from the bat, then something is not fastened properly. If it's a two piece bat (permanently assembled, not the interchangeable kinds), then I suspect the barrel end is not mated correctly with the grip end. If it's a one piece composite, then I suspect the end cap.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Mike, I agree with you 110%. Unfortunately, the book only uses the words "audible rattle" when pertaining to a bat that has broken down. My concern is with this specific wording.

My opinion on this is that if there's a click coming from the bat, then something is not fastened properly. If it's a two piece bat (permanently assembled, not the interchangeable kinds), then I suspect the barrel end is not mated correctly with the grip end. If it's a one piece composite, then I suspect the end cap.
And if you look up "rattle", I believe you will see that it is better defined as the presence of a noise, not a definitive type of noise.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 11:19am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
And if you look up "rattle", I believe you will see that it is better defined as the presence of a noise, not a definitive type of noise.
Oh, that explains the death rattle I hear every time I eject someone.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The definition I find is "a rapid succession of short, sharp, hard sounds." I'm not sure I'd classify a click as a rattle.

A bat, however, should not be clicking. I'd toss the bat based on the concept that not all aspects of the bat have been properly and permanently fitted.