The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

New rules

I visited the 18U in York, PA today and discovered that coaches are now allowed to APPEAL a judgment call.

A coach from Western PA team approached the BU after a couple real close calls (both safe) on one play. He wanted to appeal both calls. BU asked them what he wanted to appeal and was told the call. PU was within earshot and the coach repeated he wanted to appeal. The PU asked him what he wanted to appeal and was told by the coach, "that he got the calls wrong".

The PU tells him that he cannot appeal an umpire's judgment call. The coach became livid and insisted he could because the umpire in the last game told him he could. PU told him again and the coach became more livid, ragging on him all the way to the dugout and finally yelled about something or someone being terrible and got dumped.

Next new rule: The coach tells the PU, "You can't toss me, I'm a minister".

Coach also claimed he is an NSA umpire and, as usual, all ASA umpires suck and always have the worst tournaments.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Coach also claimed he is an NSA umpire and, as usual, all ASA umpires suck and always have the worst tournaments.
NSA has umpires? Holy crap.

Oh wait, that's supposed to be my reaction to USSSA.

Just kidding, guys.

Of course all umps suck. We don't buy into their crybaby tactics.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"Oh yes I can and I'm telling your boss too"
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtotheB View Post
"Oh yes I can and I'm telling your boss too"
What ever happened to a good, ol' fashioned smiting?

I once had a preacher tell me I was out of my damn mind while I was behind the plate. Bye-bye, preacher!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

you can't toss me

you can't toss me, I'm a ... God!
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post
you can't toss me, I'm a ... God!
Begone, Satan!

Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
What ever happened to a good, ol' fashioned smiting?
Smiting? I believe that this is covered in the church league rules supplement in the ASA participant manual i.e.,
"When a ball is smote over the fence while in flight..."
So sayeth the council of the almighty that resides high on the mountain in Oklahoma City.
/Ducks as to avoid incoming lightning bolt.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 09:59am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Reminds me when I played Pony Baseball (not to be confused with the actual PONY organization, but same age). My coach the first year was my minister, who happened to be a former minor league player and high school coach. I let a low pitch go, and blue called it a strike. Of course, I had that "really?" look on my face while looking down towards the ground. Coach/Minister didn't even hesitate, saying "Are you f**king blind ump?" Next thing I know he was on his way to the parking lot, having been smitten by the umpire.

After the game, one other player on the team who goes to the same church and I tried to avoid our parents, who were over in the parking lot ripping coach/minister a new one. The game ended probably before 9:00. It was midnight before my parents arrived home, because they spent that whole time with the other boy's parents looking for us. On Sunday, we were at church, and the minister said "I heard you boys gave your parents the slip. Now go apologize to them." We said, "we'll apologize after you've apologized to the congregation AND the team!" What a humiliating experience he had.

Still cracks us up, even at our 20 year HS class reunion last weekend.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 10:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Reminds me when I played Pony Baseball (not to be confused with the actual PONY organization, but same age). My coach the first year was my minister, who happened to be a former minor league player and high school coach. I let a low pitch go, and blue called it a strike. Of course, I had that "really?" look on my face while looking down towards the ground. Coach/Minister didn't even hesitate, saying "Are you f**king blind ump?" Next thing I know he was on his way to the parking lot, having been smitten by the umpire.

After the game, one other player on the team who goes to the same church and I tried to avoid our parents, who were over in the parking lot ripping coach/minister a new one. The game ended probably before 9:00. It was midnight before my parents arrived home, because they spent that whole time with the other boy's parents looking for us. On Sunday, we were at church, and the minister said "I heard you boys gave your parents the slip. Now go apologize to them." We said, "we'll apologize after you've apologized to the congregation AND the team!" What a humiliating experience he had.

That has the makings of a cute story. Did you omit a paragraph?
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post

I think you know where I come down on this one. Last time I checked, and in spite of what many believe, a minister is just another human being with a title. No more, no less.

The minister may have owed an apology to the umpire and team, but the parents owed the minister an apology. Matt 7:1-5
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 11:17am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
I think you know where I come down on this one. Last time I checked, and in spite of what many believe, a minister is just another human being with a title. No more, no less.

The minister may have owed an apology to the umpire and team, but the parents owed the minister an apology. Matt 7:1-5
Aye, the parents weren't about to apologize to the minister. My dad was the mayor, and my friend's dad was one of the higher ups in the fire department. It was more of a clash of the minds, which my buddy and I were going nowhere near!
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 11:18am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
That has the makings of a cute story. Did you omit a paragraph?
Hmmm...no, I don't think so. Of course that was 25 years ago, and some of my memories of that horrid season is quite foggy, except for that incident and the incident in which I lost my hearing in my left ear playing ball that year.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...a minister is just another human being ... No more, no less....
I don't think you'll find too many ministers who would argue with this ...
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

For those who want a pool on each 1000 posts by Mike, you could really challenge yourselves waiting for the next Scripture quote.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I don't think you'll find too many ministers who would argue with this ...
But would that not be contrary to Matt 23:12?

Oops, I guess those odds were shorter than expected!