The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 12, 2002, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

With one out and a runner on first, B1 hits a ground ball to F4 who fields the ball cleanly. She runs toward R1 who broke toward second bases and decided to backpedal toward first base to break up the double play. My partner called an out on R1 for running backwards(in the reverse direction) in the baseline. R1 never left the baseline and did not interfere with any fielder trying to make a play. He simply stopped and backed up to avoid being tagged by F4. Was my partner correct on this play? If so what rule would apply? (ASA) As a side note, after the play was over R1 was ejected from the game for very loudly disagreeing with UIC call. Please give me some help. This player is going to corner me at the next game and ask me if I agreed with the call. What a mess!!
Old Sat Jul 13, 2002, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hey blue
With one out and a runner on first, B1 hits a ground ball to F4 who fields the ball cleanly. She runs toward R1 who broke toward second bases and decided to backpedal toward first base to break up the double play. My partner called an out on R1 for running backwards(in the reverse direction) in the baseline. R1 never left the baseline and did not interfere with any fielder trying to make a play. He simply stopped and backed up to avoid being tagged by F4. Was my partner correct on this play? If so what rule would apply? (ASA) As a side note, after the play was over R1 was ejected from the game for very loudly disagreeing with UIC call. Please give me some help. This player is going to corner me at the next game and ask me if I agreed with the call. What a mess!!
First off, don't respond to any questions about a call you did not make. Tell the player the only person who can answer his question is the umpire who made the call.

Secondly, your partner needs for read the rule book. He kicked the call and should be informed of such before he does it again and loses a protest.

Old Sat Jul 13, 2002, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hey blue
My partner called an out on R1 for running backwards(in the reverse direction) in the baseline. R1 never left the baseline and did not interfere with any fielder trying to make a play. He simply stopped and backed up to avoid being tagged by F4.
So, I guess every player caught in a rundown is automatically out?

Quote:
This player is going to corner me at the next game and ask me if I agreed with the call. What a mess!!
I agree with Mike -- do not answer the question. Tell him he needs to take it up with your partner.
Old Sat Jul 13, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Let me chime in as agreeing with the previous posters about never answering or offering an opinion about a call that you did not make. That is one of those professional courtesies that should always be respected in the umpiring bidness!!!

Scott
Old Sat Jul 13, 2002, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

You have to be careful though. When you're relaxing between games at a tournament and a fan from some other field comes up and asks you, "Hey ump, could you please tell me the rule on . . . ," you can bet something happened in the game his daughter just finished.
Old Sun Jul 14, 2002, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I say the girl was in the game and that is nothing but smart baserunning and good coaching(for a change).

Pain is weakness leaving the body.Hard work prevails.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Question

I have question RE: this scenario but this
time it is the BATTER/RUNNER between HOME
and 1st. Batter hits slow grounder up 1st
base line that is fielded by the pitcher
who intends to tag batter/runner out. Meanwhile,
runner on 1st (R1) heads for 2nd. Batter/runner
stops to make pitcher come towards him to
buy time for R1 to make it safely to second.
Batter/runner then backs up towards home to
buy MORE time/distract pitcher so R1 MIGHT
continue on to 3rd. Does the fielder have
to tag out/throw to 1st or is the batter/runner
called out immediately when his forward motion
towards 1st stops/reverses? If he is called
out, perhaps that is what the ump in the original
question here was thinking and applied.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2002, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walkerbard
I have question RE: this scenario but this
time it is the BATTER/RUNNER between HOME
and 1st. Batter hits slow grounder up 1st
base line that is fielded by the pitcher
who intends to tag batter/runner out. Meanwhile,
runner on 1st (R1) heads for 2nd. Batter/runner
stops to make pitcher come towards him to
buy time for R1 to make it safely to second.
Batter/runner then backs up towards home to
buy MORE time/distract pitcher so R1 MIGHT
continue on to 3rd. Does the fielder have
to tag out/throw to 1st or is the batter/runner
called out immediately when his forward motion
towards 1st stops/reverses? If he is called
out, perhaps that is what the ump in the original
question here was thinking and applied.
The BR is not ruled out until s/he literally takes a step backwards. Failing to advance or even a motion toward the plate is nothing if the feet do not move toward the plate.

It is an immediate call, the BR is out, the ball is dead and all runners return to the last base attained at the time the "interference" was ruled.