The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 440
Follow up to weather Thread

I actually packed a jacket on a whim- Thank goodness. My 330 game I wore it and would have put on gloves if I had them. It rained just enough to delay the 5 o'clock starts, and delay the drive back into Chicago. After a weekend of 95 degrees and 90 percent Humidity, 65 and 70 felt like winter time.

If any of you get a chance to go work a tourney outside of your area, not a national, DO IT. I saw 27 teams in 30 games, 26 of which I had never seen before and worked with some great umpires that I never would have had the chance otherwise. All in all a great experience, and I guess the weather will get me ready for hanging out in an A/C tower as a UIC this next week. LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,360
Come on...a jacket in 65 degree weather???

Did the locals give you heck about it?
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 440
The locals were wearing jackets too. It was a cold stinging rain and the wind was whipping hard.

I think I would have heard some noise if I put gloves on though.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
I've actually always wanted to go back to WI to call a tourney there. At least I know I'd have somewhere to stay.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39
Learned my lesson the hard way. I think it was June last year. Went North of here for a weekend tournament. Temps were in the upper 80's leading up to the weekend. Come Saturday, the temp dropped and with it came the wind and rain.

I didn't pack a jacket or anything appropriate. I now not only keep my ASA jacket hanging in the car (almost always) and always pack at least a hoodie and sweat pants wherever I go.
__________________
I started with nothing...and still have most of it left!!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN ASA BLUE View Post
Learned my lesson the hard way. I think it was June last year. Went North of here for a weekend tournament. Temps were in the upper 80's leading up to the weekend. Come Saturday, the temp dropped and with it came the wind and rain.

I didn't pack a jacket or anything appropriate. I now not only keep my ASA jacket hanging in the car (almost always) and always pack at least a hoodie and sweat pants wherever I go.
Just make sure you don't leave it in the car without something covering it. Those jackets fade easily.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 05:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Just make sure you don't leave it in the car without something covering it. Those jackets fade easily.
Just another quality product from official gear. I just know that while outathm was up north in 65 degree weather it was overcast 85 degrees and 90% humidity and as a favor for a guy I worked a pony east zone recreational allstar tournement... so it pretty much sucked... however I did come up with the most classic line of my life to a coach ... but Ill let be a story for another time.
__________________
when the world gets in my face I say Have a nice day

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 08:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
Just another quality product from official gear. I just know that while outathm was up north in 65 degree weather it was overcast 85 degrees and 90% humidity and as a favor for a guy I worked a pony east zone recreational allstar tournement... so it pretty much sucked... however I did come up with the most classic line of my life to a coach ... but Ill let be a story for another time.
Yeah, well... Don't get me started on the batch that came from Pakistan...

Actually, in all fairness, just about any jacket will fade if left in the sun long enough.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Yeah, well... Don't get me started on the batch that came from Pakistan...

Actually, in all fairness, just about any jacket will fade if left in the sun long enough.
Just about?

I'm fairly sure ole mother nature, given long enough, can put a good licken on just about anything we can dish up.
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Just about?

I'm fairly sure ole mother nature, given long enough, can put a good licken on just about anything we can dish up.
Oh, I don't know... Twinkies and Sliders prove otherwise!
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Yeah, well... Don't get me started on the batch that came from Pakistan...

Actually, in all fairness, just about any jacket will fade if left in the sun long enough.
true however I will say that the honigs jackets that I have for college (navy with powder stripes) have yet to fade. Mine sit in my car pretty much all year ... or Im wearing them
__________________
when the world gets in my face I say Have a nice day

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here's one...More to follow...... MidMadness Basketball 5 Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:04pm
Follow up on ump hit by the bat fonzzy07 Baseball 9 Wed May 10, 2006 04:17pm
OBS follow-up SC Ump Softball 6 Wed Mar 22, 2006 06:09pm
Mick's huh Thread {worthy of separate thread} Stat-Man Basketball 1 Sun Nov 07, 2004 06:28pm
USBL follow-up ChuckElias Basketball 3 Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:24pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1