The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Follow up to weather Thread (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54026-follow-up-weather-thread.html)

outathm Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:32am

Follow up to weather Thread

I actually packed a jacket on a whim- Thank goodness. My 330 game I wore it and would have put on gloves if I had them. It rained just enough to delay the 5 o'clock starts, and delay the drive back into Chicago. After a weekend of 95 degrees and 90 percent Humidity, 65 and 70 felt like winter time.

If any of you get a chance to go work a tourney outside of your area, not a national, DO IT. I saw 27 teams in 30 games, 26 of which I had never seen before and worked with some great umpires that I never would have had the chance otherwise. All in all a great experience, and I guess the weather will get me ready for hanging out in an A/C tower as a UIC this next week. LOL.

Skahtboi Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:35am

Come on...a jacket in 65 degree weather??? :rolleyes:

Did the locals give you heck about it?

outathm Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:38am

The locals were wearing jackets too. It was a cold stinging rain and the wind was whipping hard.

I think I would have heard some noise if I put gloves on though. :cool:

NCASAUmp Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:36am

I've actually always wanted to go back to WI to call a tourney there. At least I know I'd have somewhere to stay. :)

IN ASA BLUE Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:38am

Learned my lesson the hard way. I think it was June last year. Went North of here for a weekend tournament. Temps were in the upper 80's leading up to the weekend. Come Saturday, the temp dropped and with it came the wind and rain.

I didn't pack a jacket or anything appropriate. I now not only keep my ASA jacket hanging in the car (almost always) and always pack at least a hoodie and sweat pants wherever I go.

NCASAUmp Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IN ASA BLUE (Post 615676)
Learned my lesson the hard way. I think it was June last year. Went North of here for a weekend tournament. Temps were in the upper 80's leading up to the weekend. Come Saturday, the temp dropped and with it came the wind and rain.

I didn't pack a jacket or anything appropriate. I now not only keep my ASA jacket hanging in the car (almost always) and always pack at least a hoodie and sweat pants wherever I go.

Just make sure you don't leave it in the car without something covering it. Those jackets fade easily.

kcg NC2Ablu Tue Jul 21, 2009 05:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 615677)
Just make sure you don't leave it in the car without something covering it. Those jackets fade easily.

Just another quality product from official gear. I just know that while outathm was up north in 65 degree weather it was overcast 85 degrees and 90% humidity and as a favor for a guy I worked a pony east zone recreational allstar tournement... so it pretty much sucked... however I did come up with the most classic line of my life to a coach ... but Ill let be a story for another time.

NCASAUmp Tue Jul 21, 2009 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu (Post 615881)
Just another quality product from official gear. I just know that while outathm was up north in 65 degree weather it was overcast 85 degrees and 90% humidity and as a favor for a guy I worked a pony east zone recreational allstar tournement... so it pretty much sucked... however I did come up with the most classic line of my life to a coach ... but Ill let be a story for another time.

Yeah, well... Don't get me started on the batch that came from Pakistan...

Actually, in all fairness, just about any jacket will fade if left in the sun long enough.

wadeintothem Tue Jul 21, 2009 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 615892)

Actually, in all fairness, just about any jacket will fade if left in the sun long enough.

Just about?

I'm fairly sure ole mother nature, given long enough, can put a good licken on just about anything we can dish up. ;)

Dakota Tue Jul 21, 2009 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 615909)
Just about?

I'm fairly sure ole mother nature, given long enough, can put a good licken on just about anything we can dish up. ;)

Oh, I don't know... Twinkies and Sliders prove otherwise! :D

kcg NC2Ablu Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 615892)

true however I will say that the honigs jackets that I have for college (navy with powder stripes) have yet to fade. Mine sit in my car pretty much all year ... or Im wearing them ;)