The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

Last weekend I was PU in a blowout 16A game, host team was up. It is of course my fault that the other team is losing because my strike zone is different for the two teams. At no point were the coaches of the losing team on me, the only conversation we had was an explanation of the DP/FLEX. By the fifth inning the score was 10-1 in the top of the fifth and all yelling was limited to one loud mouth dad. Close play at the plate, call the girl safe and score is now 11-1. Dad goes nuts, i call time to clean off the plate he mentions among other things that my brush wasnt going to do the job and i should take off my sunglasses so I can actually see the game etc. I call time walk to the fence and calmly say thats enough and walk back to position. The dad gets up and walks himself to the parking lot. Watching my game were the two reps and my UIC. The two reps agreed with how I handled the situation, the coaches were not feeding the fan and it was not all of the fans, just the one. I now have two a**holes however, the one God gave me and the new one my UIC ripped me. How would you guys have handled this situation?
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 01:30pm
Never Stop Learning

Talk to the head coach of the team the father was from and have them take care of the father. Don't ever confront the fans.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans2545 View Post
Last weekend I was PU in a blowout 16A game, host team was up. It is of course my fault that the other team is losing because my strike zone is different for the two teams. At no point were the coaches of the losing team on me, the only conversation we had was an explanation of the DP/FLEX. By the fifth inning the score was 10-1 in the top of the fifth and all yelling was limited to one loud mouth dad. Close play at the plate, call the girl safe and score is now 11-1. Dad goes nuts, i call time to clean off the plate he mentions among other things that my brush wasnt going to do the job and i should take off my sunglasses so I can actually see the game etc. I call time walk to the fence and calmly say thats enough and walk back to position. The dad gets up and walks himself to the parking lot. Watching my game were the two reps and my UIC. The two reps agreed with how I handled the situation, the coaches were not feeding the fan and it was not all of the fans, just the one. I now have two a**holes however, the one God gave me and the new one my UIC ripped me. How would you guys have handled this situation?
Well, if he was that close to the backstop, I may have had to use the fence to clear the dirt on the bottom of my shoes.

Ed is right, do not interact with the fans. You have enough with which to deal inside the fences without looking for boogers outside of them. If you really wanted to piss him off, just look directly at him every time you are facing his direction and give him a BIG, ****-eating grin!
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Ah the BIG GRIN. "Look he's grinning at how he is causing us to lose".

GOT TO LOVE IT!

BTW... I would have told the UIC to chill, all is good. Of course I am done with the Kiss A** faze of my career. But, I do find it easier just to let the coach handle the fans.

Last edited by vcblue; Thu Jul 16, 2009 at 04:11pm.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Ah the BIG GRIN. "Look he's grinning at how he is causing us to lose".

GOT TO LOVE IT!
Nope, I'm grinning because I know for a fact that you just booted that call, DAD, and I didn't! Sure am glad you didn't have to be the one to make the call, DAD, because you would have SUCKED at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
BTW... I would have told the UIC to chill, all is good. Of course I am done with the Kiss A** faze of my career. But, I do find it easier just to let the coach handle the fans.
Not sure I would do that...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Ok in one ear out the other. No JK I respect UICs. They do a lot of work that I can't at this point in my life, but if I get a new a-hole because I discreetly handled a fan I would thank the UIC for complimenting me on my game. If that is all the UIC found wrong then I did a good job.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ignore the fan until/unless he get profane.

I would go to the TD first, if in tournament play, then the head coach.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Ignore the fan until/unless he get profane.

I would go to the TD first, if in tournament play, then the head coach.
Don't know if my line would necessarily be profanity (unless they're dropping F-bombs like crazy). I'd definitely address it through the coach or TD if I heard a threat directed towards me or the players/coaches.

That chain link fence tends to have "earmuff" properties when I'm calling games. Can't seem to hear jack sh1t from the other side.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Don't know if my line would necessarily be profanity (unless they're dropping F-bombs like crazy). I'd definitely address it through the coach or TD if I heard a threat directed towards me or the players/coaches.

That chain link fence tends to have "earmuff" properties when I'm calling games. Can't seem to hear jack sh1t from the other side.
A threat towards me gets the TD treatment.

General stupidity , I go through the Head Coach.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with what others have posted here. Go through the coaches, "coach I need you to get control of your fans" most times that works, coach usually never liked "that guy" anyway, other fans are usually tired of hearing it too so a lot of times they help out, "shut up so that the coach can go coach, I ain't paying him to keep track of you he should be coaching my daughter"

There are times when you can "get away" with what you did, but there are times where that will cause an even a bigger cluster. This dad went away problem solved, but the next one, or the one after that....trust me (I know you) some time in your future you will have a dad stand toe to toe with you through a fence. Once you start talking to them they feel free to talk even more and eventually they will get you backed into a corner. Especially when there are 4-5 of them that have been riding you, even 4 idiots can sometimes out whit 1 smart umpire when you get to slinging comments back and forth.

Bottom line is let coaches deal with it, then if it increases and they can't get control, those TD's live for that kind of stuff let them have their fun throwing jacka$$ out. Bottom line we get paid to deal with inside the fence, players and coaches, let the other people (coaches/TD/ASA Rep/UIC) do their jobs and take care of dear old dad! Cause if your focusing on him it takes you out of your game and away from what you should be doing focusing on the inside the fence stuff.

Never forget the old saying....Never argue with an idiot they will just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Last edited by DaveASA/FED; Fri Jul 17, 2009 at 02:39pm.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Last weekend while working the plate of the 10U state championship game, I was getting some grief from one the softball "moms" sitting in the first row of bleachers behind the backstop. By the time the 4th inning rolled around, I was getting a little tired of it. After sweeping the plate, I stood up gave a nice "glare" and the next thing I heard was "sorry blue". Not another peep from anybody in the crowd.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue View Post
Last weekend while working the plate of the 10U state championship game, I was getting some grief from one the softball "moms" sitting in the first row of bleachers behind the backstop. By the time the 4th inning rolled around, I was getting a little tired of it. After sweeping the plate, I stood up gave a nice "glare" and the next thing I heard was "sorry blue". Not another peep from anybody in the crowd.
Let me understand this...

You're working with hot moms in the crowd; they are talking about you; you look at said hot moms; and they no longer want to talk to you.

Bad wingman. Your BU's gonna have a harder time hooking up now.

Where's that hot mom indicator? NDBlue needs one.

Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Let me understand this...

You're working with hot moms in the crowd; they are talking about you; you look at said hot moms; and they no longer want to talk to you.

Bad wingman. Your BU's gonna have a harder time hooking up now.

Where's that hot mom indicator? NDBlue needs one.

Right here!

I'm a good wingman.

Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

They weren't all "hot". The one that got the "glare" was kinda fugly.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue View Post
They weren't all "hot". The one that got the "glare" was kinda fugly.
Well, yeah... it was North Dakota. Ok, you get a free pass.