The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Looks like they will have to go with the local yahoos then.

I got 20 dollars in 2002 when I left Houston. Where is the raise?
I want to be clear. This wasn't the fault of the UIC or anyone in San Antonio other than the city and the Park and Rec Dept. Good luck to everyone there. My biggest fear for those guys there is that they may have to work 2 or 3 games in a row before getting a game break. With 106 temp and extremely high humidity, it will not be a good situation. I just no one gets heat stroke.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Gee I wonder why there having trouble finding people........

Here in Alabam it's been baking. College Exposure tourney two weekends ago - 105 degrees on the field - good thing it was only 80% humidity. Sat games from 8AM to 10PM. Did I mention that we were 4 umpires short?? I did 4 in a row to start the day with 75 min time limit. Endted up doin 18 games in two days. I was drinking 3-4 20 oz waters per game and not peeing at all.

Back on the field this weekend in similar weather. Least we're getting $25 per game!
Wow. 4 games in a row and 9 games in a day - obviously the folks running things do not care whether umpires are able to give their best effort.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Wow. 4 games in a row and 9 games in a day - obviously the folks running things do not care whether umpires are able to give their best effort.
Been there, done that.

Sucked!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P View Post
Come to San Antonio this weekend for 18 Gold qualifier. They need lots of help and are still looking for umpires. 106 with 90% humidity. They are able to pay $20 per game with no travel and no hotel rooms provided.
JFC! For a Gold qualifier no less. We have a 14U regional this weekend, paying $25 a game PLUS hotel for a couple out of towners. We have a great relationship with TD/JO Commissioner (a past prez of SMSUA and helluva umpire in his own right) and the rooms are often comps. At any rate, we always make room for our out of town guests, even if it's a weekend invite and they're at my house. The City of San Antone needs to get with the program...then again I have never been too enthralled with the place.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

O do the same thing around these parts. Many an umpire has slept on the couch, and in the extra 2 BRs in the house. The joys of dating, now marrying a woman with so much furniture that she buys a 4 BR house to fit it.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 05:25am
Official Forum Member

Im working this weekend in the 90 degree heat and 90% humidity does that count for anything? or is that not hot?

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

The other night I had to put a blanket on the bed, so cold. Checked thermometer, 78°. I guess after 5 years back in the Congo I'm ready for your Arizona weather.

I thought hot weather gear in Holland involves someone name Anneka and a bikini, am I mistaken?
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
JFC! For a Gold qualifier no less. We have a 14U regional this weekend, paying $25 a game PLUS hotel for a couple out of towners. We have a great relationship with TD/JO Commissioner (a past prez of SMSUA and helluva umpire in his own right) and the rooms are often comps. At any rate, we always make room for our out of town guests, even if it's a weekend invite and they're at my house. The City of San Antone needs to get with the program...then again I have never been too enthralled with the place.
Don't take what Larry said too literally. There are rooms available for those traveling from out of the area, at other officials' houses and at the local AFB's. (There just isn't a motel/hotel budget.) The folks that run the umpire organization there are great folk, but their hands are pretty much tied by the people who are putting on this tournament as to the pay.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
JFC! The City of San Antone needs to get with the program...then again I have never been too enthralled with the place.
What's not to like about SA? Very party friendly town.

Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P View Post
I want to be clear. This wasn't the fault of the UIC or anyone in San Antonio other than the city and the Park and Rec Dept. Good luck to everyone there. My biggest fear for those guys there is that they may have to work 2 or 3 games in a row before getting a game break. With 106 temp and extremely high humidity, it will not be a good situation. I just no one gets heat stroke.
From what I understand, the plan is still to go one on and one off. Have you heard differently?

Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
From what I understand, the plan is still to go one on and one off. Have you heard differently?
Only that they are still needing a bunch of folks and not getting many out of towners as of last time I heard. My reasoning is that if they don't get several umps from out of town they will be working very hard or they will use less qualified local umps. I just hope that those working keep hydrated and cool. Temps might be coming down as here it is supposed to be down to 95 this wekend.

Only had a couple of rooms on base and a few couches a local umps houses. Might have changed since the last email came out, but didn't sound like it.