The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
And by "warm weather gear," Larry's referring to this.
Exactly, and my ball bags make the perfect place to keep the can
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P View Post
Exactly, and my ball bags make the perfect place to keep the can
I actually wouldn't mind getting one of them. I figure that if someone took the time to create something that makes life more comfortable for us, why shouldn't I partake?

This is actually a pretty good thread about keeping cool in the heat. Talks about Florida Water (water + spirit of ammonia), the right chest protectors and hydration.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
16u, 18u state championships here in Phoenix this last weekend....

High temp of 113 on Saturday, 114 on Sunday....and we started our last game in the day at 1:00 pm, then nothing else until 7:00 pm.

Had to take one umpire off of the field yesterday because of the heat....
Andy, Jim Weir (the coach you met in Colorado) and I were shivering on Sunday and comiserating over the heat down there and knowing how tough you had it. A little later, we decided that 100 was better than the almost 60 degrees in which we were damn near shivering.

But...we'll keep the 60s over any 113 or 114.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

All I know is that in Virginia its been 85 degrees with 90% humidity for the past few tournements I have worked here. its funny because the teams from up north will be like RAIN YAY!!! and Im like you dont understand.... thats just going to make it even more steamy out here.. they continue to think I have no Idea what Im talking abou t... sure enough ... they complain about the humidity even more after an afternoon shower

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

The link to the post on hot weather was a nice walk down memory lane when Wade was still confrontational. Advice in the post still holds true, now if only we could find some hot weather. I am looking at 75 as a high on Weather.com for my tourney this weekend. I actually am packing a jacket and may use it just to make myself drink water.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
The link to the post on hot weather was a nice walk down memory lane when Wade was still confrontational. Advice in the post still holds true, now if only we could find some hot weather. I am looking at 75 as a high on Weather.com for my tourney this weekend. I actually am packing a jacket and may use it just to make myself drink water.
Come to San Antonio this weekend for 18 Gold qualifier. They need lots of help and are still looking for umpires. 106 with 90% humidity. They are able to pay $20 per game with no travel and no hotel rooms provided.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Come to San Antonio this weekend for 18 Gold qualifier. They need lots of help and are still looking for umpires. 106 with 90% humidity. They are able to pay $20 per game with no travel and no hotel rooms provided.
Larry, with all those pleasant things that are not arranged (like travel money and hotelrooms) in San Antonio, you also have to wear white pants as an umpire?

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
It was almost 80 degrees for our games on Saturday, supposed to be in the mid 70s on Sunday. Don't know how much longer we can deal with this oppressive heat!
Uck Fou from Florida

Was on the field from 10:00 AM till 3:00PM (BB DH - needed $$!!)
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Larry, with all those pleasant things that are not arranged (like travel money and hotelrooms) in San Antonio, you also have to wear white pants as an umpire?
I thought that was standard. Wasn't that what I learned from you?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Guess they'll be looking for a good long time.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Larry:

We have a similar program here where every year after the tourney I get complaints about the umpires that are put on the field. NO hotels rooms, $35 for out of town umpires, $33 for locals, Rain canceled games=no pay, even if the tourney minimum game requirement has been met so no team refunds, I could go on.

I tell the tournament director that three hotel rooms will place the 6 worst with 6 of the best umpires. He still will not budge, then emails me to say that he is disappointed with he umpires his assigner puts on the field. Same guy that told the assigner he did not want me to work the tourney. I am sure you can imagine the sympathy he gets from me.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Larry:

We have a similar program here where every year after the tourney I get complaints about the umpires that are put on the field. NO hotels rooms, $35 for out of town umpires, $33 for locals, Rain canceled games=no pay, even if the tourney minimum game requirement has been met so no team refunds, I could go on.

I tell the tournament director that three hotel rooms will place the 6 worst with 6 of the best umpires. He still will not budge, then emails me to say that he is disappointed with he umpires his assigner puts on the field. Same guy that told the assigner he did not want me to work the tourney. I am sure you can imagine the sympathy he gets from me.
This was the city of San Antonio's call. They have 70 - 80 teams coming in for this qualifier. All they had to do was work with the hotels and get a few comp rooms. I was in OKC this past weekend and they put us up at the Marriott thru comp rooms and everything was great. Had a good time in spite of the heat. Our region 7 UIC will be there running things, but I cannot see driving hours each way, work in 105+ heat and lose $200 for the weekend.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like they will have to go with the local yahoos then.

I got 20 dollars in 2002 when I left Houston. Where is the raise?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

We'll have a standard fee of 35Euro / DH in Elite competition (20Euro / single gama) and 25 Euro / DH lower classes (15 Euro / single game) PLUS 0,18 Euro / km for traveling.
On top of that we ALWAYS have a lockerroom, some drinks (mostly something to eat) for free and (for Larry) we may work in blue pants

Living in the centre of the Netherlands, I never have to drive more than 2 hours. But the weather isn't always that good

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gee I wonder why there having trouble finding people........

Here in Alabama it's been baking. College Exposure tourney two weekends ago - 105 degrees on the field - good thing it was only 80% humidity. Sat games from 8AM to 10PM. Did I mention that we were 4 umpires short?? I did 4 in a row to start the day with 75 min time limit. Ended up doin 18 games in two days. I was drinking 3-4 20 oz waters per game and not peeing at all.

Back on the field this weekend in similar weather. Least we're getting $25 per game!

Last edited by derwil; Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 09:49pm.