The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

????

ASA Men's Slow Pitch:
R1 on 2B, no out....B hits base hit to right-center (ball bounced in-front of fielder) and fielder throws to 3B to get R1 who is advancing.

Throw is offline and F5 misses it, R1 round 3B and scores...BR rounds 1B and heads for 2B.

Thrown ball hits fence between 3B and HP, F5 attempts to field it on rebound, and knocks it over the fence with his glove (unintentionally, IMO).

What, if any, is awarded to BR and please give rule references if avail.

Thanks.

BTW: I awarded BR 3B.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
ASA Men's Slow Pitch:
R1 on 2B, no out....B hits base hit to right-center (ball bounced in-front of fielder) and fielder throws to 3B to get R1 who is advancing.

Throw is offline and F5 misses it, R1 round 3B and scores...BR rounds 1B and heads for 2B.

Thrown ball hits fence between 3B and HP, F5 attempts to field it on rebound, and knocks it over the fence with his glove (unintentionally, IMO).

What, if any, is awarded to BR and please give rule references if avail.

Thanks.

BTW: I awarded BR 3B.
If F5 ever gained possession of the ball, the BR is awarded one base from the last touched at the time the ball entered DBT. (8.5.G.Exception.1&Effect)

If no possession, it is two bases from the time of the throw. (8.5.G&Effect)
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If F5 ever gained possession of the ball, the BR is awarded one base from the last touched at the time the ball entered DBT. (8.5.G.Exception.1&Effect)

If no possession, it is two bases from the time of the throw. (8.5.G&Effect)
So the ball remains a "thrown ball" until a fielder has possession or it goes OOP?

Just double-checking.

Thanks.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 05:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Sounds like you made the proper award, because F5 didn't have possession, if I read your OP right. But I'm having trouble picturing this OP, unless it was a very, very short fence in height.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Sounds like you made the proper award, because F5 didn't have possession, if I read your OP right. But I'm having trouble picturing this OP, unless it was a very, very short fence in height.
It is only about a 5' fence extending out from dugout.

Not so sure I got it right...BR hadn't reached 1st by the time the throw was made....

I was referring to BR between 1B and 2B when I saw F5 knock the ball over the fence....he NEVER had any kind of possession of the ball.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 07:24pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
It is only about a 5' fence extending out from dugout.

Not so sure I got it right...BR hadn't reached 1st by the time the throw was made....

I was referring to BR between 1B and 2B when I saw F5 knock the ball over the fence....he NEVER had any kind of possession of the ball.
That's a short fence alright...reminds me of one of our old complexes here in Omaha.

From your latest description, you should have awarded 2nd. You'll catch grief over it, but your answer can be "Read Rule 8, boys" and walk away.