The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 09:05am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Got anywhere in Rule 10 that says we can't wear adjustible caps?
What, "they look like crap" isn't justification enough?

That said, great pictures, thanks for sharing!
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We're lucky to have Dale Garvey live here. As some of you know, he's one of the photo guys for Referee Magazine. He's good to share his pics with us from time to time, especially the oddball ones.
You mean like #18?
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I wear the adjustable ASA trucker hat for bases at any tournament other than big ones/qualifiers/nationals stuff like that.

Its kind of become my trade mark as a country boy.

Hasnt caught on though
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got anywhere in Rule 10 that says we can't wear adjustible caps?
In Rule 10, no. That said, I challenge youto wear one at an ASA National. I can promise you that the "official" uniform requirements says the hat must be sized for all male and female umpires.

Using your same challenge, show me in Rule 10 that pants must be from ASA Properties, that, western cut pockets are preferred to standard slit, that pleats are unacceptable, that "Dockers" style pants aren't approved navy blue slacks, that a navy blue T-shirt is worn under the navy blue uniform shirtor that kitchen timers may not be hung on the fence??

Right; somethings are done because they are universally accepted as the "official" uniform. The fitted hat is the approved hat for championship play.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Drifting further OT for this thread...

Personal style comments only:

I would never buy an adjustable hat for umpiring, unless there was no other choice. Heck, I even bought a fitted Twins hat to wear to the games!

Now, wade, if you're going for the trucker-red neck look, the adjustable strap doesn't do it anyway. You'd also need a white mesh back and a higher blocked front...

I much prefer the look of pleats to the straight front style and the usability of traditional pockets vs. the western cut. If you're (speaking to ASA HMFICs) that concerned about white pocket linings, have the pants made with gray linings. I don't understand your issue with pleats at all. And Cliff Keen has a better, more rugged clasp design and a better waist band than Fechheimer, too. I have no problem buying from ASA Properties on price, service, or product in general, but I just don't like your "official" choice in umpire pants style.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I wear the adjustable ASA trucker hat for bases at any tournament other than big ones/qualifiers/nationals stuff like that.

Its kind of become my trade mark as a country boy.

Hasnt caught on though
Wade,

I stumbled across an old picture of you. I can see why it hasn't caught on...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Now, wade, if you're going for the trucker-red neck look, the adjustable strap doesn't do it anyway. You'd also need a white mesh back and a higher blocked front...
its blue mesh.. its the ASA trucker hat... and I do block the front .

I hate the propeller hat look, I block all my caps.

This wonderful official ASA cover:
http://officialgear.com/images/402fll.jpg
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In Rule 10, no. That said, I challenge youto wear one at an ASA National. I can promise you that the "official" uniform requirements says the hat must be sized for all male and female umpires.
Just as a note about the hats, I have about a dozen hats, not one adjustable. And yes, a hat must be fitted at a national or any tournament which requires an umpire to leave their area unless otherwise noted by the UIC/TD/Whomever is in charge.

However, at the state level, I will permit the adjustable wool cap. I do this because of ASA Merchandise's inability to provide the appropriate sized hats.

I have had an umpire order three hats all the same size. They came with identical tags, but not one matched in size. He had to send two back. The umpire should not have to play "pot luck" when purchasing a uniform item and have to be bothered with all the back and forth crap.

Returning any item purchased from any vendor should always be the rare exception, not part of a standard routine.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...I have had an umpire order three hats all the same size. They came with identical tags, but not one matched in size. He had to send two back. The umpire should not have to play "pot luck" when purchasing a uniform item and have to be bothered with all the back and forth crap.

Returning any item purchased from any vendor should always be the rare exception, not part of a standard routine.
I agree, and I've had that experience as well, and with all umpire hat vendors and hat manufacturers, not just ASA.

Hat manufacturers either have no standard definition of size to follow, or have really, really crappy quality standards.

Fortunately, most of the hats I need (ASA and HS) can be bought locally where I can walk into the store and try them on. I always ask for the size I want and one size below and one size above. One of them usually fits (but not always!).

It is the only way that works.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
The fitted hat is the approved hat for championship play.
This wasn't championship play.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I have had an umpire order three hats all the same size. They came with identical tags, but not one matched in size. He had to send two back. The umpire should not have to play "pot luck" when purchasing a uniform item and have to be bothered with all the back and forth crap.
We asked that very question to ASA properties a few years back (the 2007 UIC clinic I believe) and were told that the way their vendor works is that they make a bunch of caps at whatever size comes out of the machine. Then the cap is measured to see what the size is closest to. If it's a 7 3/8, then the 7 3/8 tag is stitched into the cap.

We have a dedicated local uniform sales agent that maintains an inventory of about 10 to 15 caps of every size between 6.5 and 8 for this purpose. We can then try them on locally and buy them against our umpire bank account, rather than sending them back when they don't fit correctly.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We asked that very question to ASA properties a few years back (the 2007 UIC clinic I believe) and were told that the way their vendor works is that they make a bunch of caps at whatever size comes out of the machine. Then the cap is measured to see what the size is closest to. If it's a 7 3/8, then the 7 3/8 tag is stitched into the cap.
So much for tolerances. I don't know why it's so hard to make a hat fit a certain size. Granted, I've never made one, but baseball hats have been around for decades.

Then again, they also had a big problem with their jackets about a year and a half ago. If you got one that was made in Pakistan, it was a size too small, and the zipper was on the wrong side.

Quote:
We have a dedicated local uniform sales agent that maintains an inventory of about 10 to 15 caps of every size between 6.5 and 8 for this purpose. We can then try them on locally and buy them against our umpire bank account, rather than sending them back when they don't fit correctly.
Man, I wish we could do that here. Unfortunately, I don't think our organization is big enough. My org is one of two in the area, and we're on very friendly terms with them (we don't look at each other as "the competition"). Maybe with the two of them combined, something like that could happen? I may explore this idea further. It'd help some of our umps get the proper gear without having to fork over the money upfront.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Clearly you guys need to join the trucker hat revolution.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Clearly you guys need to join the trucker hat revolution.
I cut off my mullet years ago...

Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You go ahead and tell Malcolm that next time you see him...
I wouldnt tell him that but it is a better mechanic to keep your head up. Especially on a call I try to look at the pitchers forehead before making the strike/ball call.