The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer View Post
"She" puts it in the same spot, same speed and I wear her out.
To quote The Office...

"That's what she said!"

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

A few years ago at the ASA National UIC Clinic they presented a study about that "outside" pitch.

I believed they used a 14-16 yo. Positioned in the center of the BB, she solidly hit the pitch approx. 6" outside the plate.

Have your DD stand in the middle of the BB. That should put her toes about 20 inches from the edge of the plate. Even if her wrists only reach the edge of the BB, there is still 10" of that 33" bat beyond the far edge of the plate. And that is if she is just standing there. She strides into the pitch, there should be no problem getting the sweet spot outside of the plate.

And those pitches are more hitable than the high and low corners which is why umpires pick it up, push it down and take it out.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 03:02pm.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

It common knowledge and theory that the outside is THE hittable spot.
That is why pitchers at all levels "brush em off" the plate. It is to get ownership of the outside. The rule of thumb is "the outside belongs to the pitcher". They cant allow the batter to own that.

This is basic info and nothing new to most of the people involved in sports involving a bat and ball.

Pitching 101 BASIC BASIC BASIC info.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Alright guys, I will run Mike's test on DD and report back.

Wade, I think Tom Glavine and Tim McCarver might disagree with you. Speaking of McCarver, here is a website for you:

Shut Up Tim McCarver!!!** Tim McCarver @ ShutUpTimMcCarver.com
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=reccer;607794]
Wade, I think Tom Glavine and Tim McCarver might disagree with you. Speaking of McCarver, here is a website for you:

[QUOTE]

I rest my case...
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Alright guys, I will run Mike's test on DD and report back.

Shut Up Tim McCarver!!!** Tim McCarver @ ShutUpTimMcCarver.com
If this putz didn't happen to fall into the catching position for Steve Carlton, he never would have received the attention he did in the MLB. The only reason anyone paid attention to him then was because Carlton wouldn't talk and McCarver wasn't embarassed to place himself in front of the vacant microphone. And even then he talked out his *** making little to no sense.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
A few years ago at the ASA National UIC Clinic they presented a study about that "outside" pitch.

I believed they used a 14-16 yo. Positioned in the center of the BB, she solidly hit the pitch approx. 6" outside the plate.

Have your DD stand in the middle of the BB. That should put her toes about 20 inches from the edge of the plate. Even if her wrists only reach the edge of the BB, there is still 10" of that 33" bat beyond the far edge of the plate. And that is if she is just standing there. She strides into the pitch, there should be no problem getting the sweet spot outside of the plate.

And those pitches are more hitable than the high and low corners which is why umpires pick it up, push it down and take it out.
Results of static test in the kitchen, not at the ballpark:

16 year old 5' 2" female subject was positioned 20 inches from home plate. Her grip was not choked up. Using her regular swing with no stride ("sit and spin") careful NCASA-- this is my daughter her bat does not reach the far edge of the plate, let alone your strike zone edge. Further, even if she casts her arms straight out, the bat does not reach 10 inches beyond the plate.

Gonna be awhile before I can field test this. She is in one of those 16 year old moods.

I wonder how tall was the subject in the test. If you have a link to that study I would love to read it.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

She must have short arms or a short bat; or both.

Wrists at edge of batter's box means the wrists are 23 inches from the far edge of the plate.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

16 year old 5' 2" female subject was positioned 20 inches from home plate. Her grip was not choked up. Using her regular swing with no stride ("sit and spin") careful NCASA-- this is my daughter her bat does not reach the far edge of the plate, let alone your strike zone edge. Further, even if she casts her arms straight out, the bat does not reach 10 inches beyond the plate.

Gonna be awhile before I can field test this. She is in one of those 16 year old moods.

I wonder how tall was the subject in the test. If you have a link to that study I would love to read it.
So, your daughter has no arms? If you place the bat at her toes, the end of it would be 4" from the outside edge of the plate. So, for the bat to not reach the outer edge of the plate, your daughter's arms must be less than 4" long. Hell, I'd be moody, too.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ha.

Could you tape the next session and youtube it?
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
careful NCASA-- this is my daughter
Trust me... I wasn't even THINKING about saying something about your daughter. Some things are still sacred to me.

Not much else, though.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So, your daughter has no arms? If you place the bat at her toes, the end of it would be 4" from the outside edge of the plate. So, for the bat to not reach the outer edge of the plate, your daughter's arms must be less than 4" long. Hell, I'd be moody, too.

I know its the wrong forum to be having an in depth hitting discussion, but, briefly, slam that back elbow down in to the slot and see where your hands are relative to your toes. I bet they are a whole lot closer than you thought they were. Granted, there has to be a slow down of hip rotation and some casting to reach that outside pitch, but DD's swing would be beyond absurd using Mike's 20 inches from one side of the plate to 10 inches on the other.

Do some google searches for "hitting casting problems" or go to my favorite batspeed.com for in depth hitting discussions.

I'll see about the youtube. Might be a fun summer project.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know its the wrong forum to be having an in depth hitting discussion, but, briefly, slam that back elbow down in to the slot and see where your hands are relative to your toes. I bet they are a whole lot closer than you thought they were. Granted, there has to be a slow down of hip rotation and some casting to reach that outside pitch, but DD's swing would be beyond absurd using Mike's 20 inches from one side of the plate to 10 inches on the other.

Do some google searches for "hitting casting problems" or go to my favorite batspeed.com for in depth hitting discussions.

I'll see about the youtube. Might be a fun summer project.
Yes, but in your studies and calculations, have you taken into account the fact that outs are good and hits are bad and time consuming?
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never mind. Found her.

World's Tallest Woman - Urban Legends
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

a pitch 6 inches outside on the line is not a strike. FORGET IT.

When the braves got 3 inches outside all day, no one consistentyl hit homeruns or doubles and triples. so the same thing applies here.