The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Acting Class is in Session

Had an interesting situation during a 7th grade game Saturday.

Had a long 55-yard breakaway score. I was trailing the play and suddenly one of the defenders literally hurls himself off his feet as if struck from behind. Mind you, there's no one within 20 yards of this 13-year-old. He comes to his feet and looks at me with the "where's the flag" gesture with both hands.

At the time, I just looked at this kid and said "No. 55, there was no one within 20 yards of you. You're a terrible actor so stop trying." Then I laughed about it and told my white hat after the PAT.

But the more I thought about it afterwards, it was clear to me that this was a coached action, and I started getting a little ticked off about it. The result of this kid doing this would either be a) a newbie official might throw a flag thinking he'd missed something, or b) it might get the fans mad at the crew, thinking we missed something.

Clearly it's not USC, but would anyone have done anything beyond what I did?

Last edited by GoodScout; Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 07:23am.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 05:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

At the 7th and 8th grade levels, I would definitely have no problem with mentioning it to the coach that I believe his player was acting, trying to garnish a flag in an unsporting way.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 06:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wouldn't this be an unsporting foul? I'm clueless on fb rules, but it's an easy technical in a basketball game.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I could definetly see USC being called on this, had a very similar thing just last night; I'm R in 4 man, the kicker punts the ball and a couple of players end up about 2 yards from his feet, but he ends up on the ground after very poor acting job, I simply tell him "get up Matt Damon" he says, "its worth a try, my coach told me to do that," I didn;t think about it much, but it definetly put a bad taste in my mouth now that I think about it. If it happened again or at a higher level I probably would flag it.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

I had something sort of along the lines happen. 7th grade game... B67 is pass rushing. As soon as A63 engaged him, B67 throws his hands in the air and starts shouting "He's holding me, he's holding me". Mind you, A63 had a good legal block going, as I watched the entire play unfold.

I calmly walked A63 to the sidelines, informed the coach what happened, and told him, I see that again, it's 15 yards USC.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Sadly sometimes "boys will be boys", even long after they pass beyond puberty. Walking the lad over to his coach and explaing, to both, the potential consequences sounds like "preventive officiating" for both player and coach at it's highest level.

However, NF:9.8.1.b "attempting to influence a decision by an official" although listed as an example of USC by a "non-player" would also apply to behavior of players.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I had a team once that, on a long break away run by the other team, would try to fake a clip. If they were following behind the runner and couldn't catch him, they would look to find an offensive player running parallel to them. They would then dive/swerve in front of him looking for a clip or block in the back call.

I didn't call a USC, but in thinking back on it, if they dove in front of him, we could call an illegal block on B.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 02:41pm
(Something hilarious)

Oh, soccer.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

At the risk of moving a bit off the topic, I had a similar situation yesterday in a 7th grade game. First play from scrimmage. At the first sound of the QB, the nose tackle encroaches and buries the snapper. THe ball did not move a bit. I am convinced that the nose was coached (or thought up the idea) to hit the center to send a message. I only got him for 5, but the more I thought about it, I felt it was a 15 yard penalty. Thoughts?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 05:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

With all due respect to those that have spoken about his topic, please do not go looking for trouble. You will find it well enough without calling an unsportsmanlike. You do not need more trouble by creating a violation of the rules because you do not like an action.

Also this is not basketball where a rule was created to deal with a certain situation. And even in basketball officials do not invoke that rule very often because it is such an iffy thing to call.

Please, no one call this just because a kid falls. Just talk to the kid or the coach and move on.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 05:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with your thoughts, I was just wondering about the rule. In basketball, I've only actually made that call one time (5th grade YMCA game, IIRC) after a solid warning to the coach. I put myself in a box with the warning, but then the kid went and fell, trying to draw a charge, before I could even start a 5 second count on the dribbler.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
With all due respect to those that have spoken about his topic, please do not go looking for trouble. You will find it well enough without calling an unsportsmanlike. You do not need more trouble by creating a violation of the rules because you do not like an action.

Also this is not basketball where a rule was created to deal with a certain situation. And even in basketball officials do not invoke that rule very often because it is such an iffy thing to call.

Please, no one call this just because a kid falls. Just talk to the kid or the coach and move on.

Peace
Agreed.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 05:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I agree with your thoughts, I was just wondering about the rule. In basketball, I've only actually made that call one time (5th grade YMCA game, IIRC) after a solid warning to the coach. I put myself in a box with the warning, but then the kid went and fell, trying to draw a charge, before I could even start a 5 second count on the dribbler.
No there is no specific ruling that would support such an action. But just like the rules in basketball, the rules are not limited to the listed violations when it comes to unsportsmanlike act. My point is if we want to be technical, ever time a player claims they are held, blocked in the back or blocked below the waist we should have a foul. I would just tell the kid to stop flopping and move on. There is no way I can imagine throwing a flag for this.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Preventive officiating. Especially at this level.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 07:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Preventive officiating. Especially at this level.
To me there is nothing to prevent. There are no interpretations that support that would be a responsible foul call. If a player was to take a dive and take themselves out of a play, so be it.

Peace