The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to see the slow pitch "illeagal pitch" removed. That is unless the pitcher commits an illeagal act.

I like the LBR, so it can stay. ut slow pitch illeagal for height -- that should go.

Bugg
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer View Post
Make that outside pitch hittable,
It is hitable.

Quote:
Keep the existing plate and draw two lines say 4 inches in from the left and right edges running lengthwise with the plate. The line draw on the left side (3rd base side) is the outside corner edge for LH batters. Use the opposite line as outside corner for RH batters. In either case, keep inside corner as it is for both.
You mean right about where the lines to the BB are presently?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Make that outside pitch hittable, so Kruc doesn't throw down his headset in disgust and start mumbling to himself and I don't keep breaking tv sets.
So we can't hear Kruk at present. That is a problem in what way...?

Quote:
Keep the existing plate and draw two lines say 4 inches in from the left and right edges running lengthwise with the plate. The line draw on the left side (3rd base side) is the outside corner edge for LH batters. Use the opposite line as outside corner for RH batters. In either case, keep inside corner as it is for both.
The lines will be gone after the first inning. Then it's back to umpire judgement (which it always would be, even with these lines).
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

I want outside strikes to be 4 inches closer to the batter.

I 'm not talking about chalk in the dirt.

I am permanently painting lines on the existing plate.

Draw a plate out on your desk. Point of plate pointing at you the PU. Measure 4 inches in from the left side. That is going to be the outside edge for lefties for your strike zone. Do the same on the right side. That is the outside edge for righties.

The existing inside edge of the strike zone is where you currently have it.

This change compensates for the additional width of the softball, allows the batter to still use a semblance of form in getting good contact on the ball, yet keeps all other aspects of the game the same.

Don't change men's slow pitch or men's fastpitch, but consider this for women's fastpitch.

Last edited by reccer; Mon Jun 08, 2009 at 10:30pm.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
I would like to see the slow pitch "illeagal pitch" removed. That is unless the pitcher commits an illeagal act.

I like the LBR, so it can stay. ut slow pitch illeagal for height -- that should go.

Bugg
I play in coed with no limit for guys - sky ball sucks. Gotta keep the 12.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
Huh? That makes absolutely no sense even if it were an illegal pitch.

Quote:
I like the LBR, so it can stay.
You like longer, slower games for no apparent reason? Okay, just stay away from my tournaments.

Quote:
slow pitch illeagal for height -- that should go.
Height limits are not something historic for ASA. It used to be unlimited and the number of runs scored was about the same as your local JV game. If anything, the 12' arc is the radically high of all SP organizations right now, so I doubt they will go backwards.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I want outside strikes to be 4 inches closer to the batter.

I 'm not talking about chalk in the dirt.

I am permanently painting lines on the existing plate.

Draw a plate out on your desk. Point of plate pointing at you the PU. Measure 4 inches in from the left side. That is going to be the outside edge for lefties for your strike zone. Do the same on the right side. That is the outside edge for righties.
So, you want to narrow the strike zone by 8 inches? Yeah, just what this game needs, more boring walks.

Quote:
The existing inside edge of the strike zone is where you currently have it.

This change compensates for the additional width of the softball, allows the batter to still use a semblance of form in getting good contact on the ball, yet keeps all other aspects of the game the same.
The strike zone now and always has allowed for the width of the ball. You have not discovered anything new here. And if you DD cannot hit the pitches called strikes, she needs someone to teach her how to hit because they are very hitable pitchers.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

So, you want to narrow the strike zone by 8 inches?

No I'm narrowing the strike zone by 4 inches of the outside edge.

I disagree. Pitches down the opposite batters box stripe are not hitable, particularly by small females.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I disagree. Pitches down the opposite batters box stripe are not hitable, particularly by small females.
Depends on how the catcher sets up and catches it.

If she catches it over her shoulder and back, or if she is set up way outside.-- she makes it look very unhittable and look like a ball

If shes off center an inch or two and if she holds it out in front.. coaches seem to always say "that was your pitch, gotta swing at that..."

Dunno though... I'm no coach.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That bat is almost 3 feet long! Lay the bat across the plate, and it goes box-to-box. Even a midget can stretch her arms long enough to reach it!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
That bat is almost 3 feet long! Lay the bat across the plate, and it goes box-to-box. Even a midget can stretch her arms long enough to reach it!
Actually, its 33-34 inches long. Those 2-3 inches make a big difference when you are talking about a bats sweets spot.

I didn't say the pitch wasn't touchable, I said it wasn't hitable, with any semblance of form. Some of you slow pitch guys are 6'4" with wing spans from here to there, and plenty of upper body strength. You don't notice the problem.

Females don't have the comparable upper body strength and have to cast out like crazy to reach that pitch and when they do, dink to F5. Their hips and butt are no longer able to provide any power.

Do you remember the hitting drill where you stood near a wall and put the knob against your bellow button and the opposite end of the bat against the wall and attempted full speed swings without hitting the wall? The purpose of that drill was to keep you from casting out.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, reccer, but IMO, your suggestion about shrinking the strike zone is absurd. JMO, though.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, its 33-34 inches long. Those 2-3 inches make a big difference when you are talking about a bats sweets spot.

I didn't say the pitch wasn't touchable, I said it wasn't hitable, with any semblance of form. Some of you slow pitch guys are 6'4" with wing spans from here to there, and plenty of upper body strength. You don't notice the problem.

Females don't have the comparable upper body strength and have to cast out like crazy to reach that pitch and when they do, dink to F5. Their hips and butt are no longer able to provide any power.

Do you remember the hitting drill where you stood near a wall and put the knob against your bellow button and the opposite end of the bat against the wall and attempted full speed swings without hitting the wall? The purpose of that drill was to keep you from casting out.
Two words.

Pujols
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Like many of the SP players FP usually mock, he wants to play t-ball
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota: No problem, I figured since we added those two pitcher lines it might fly.

Wade: I hated that drill. It was not real world realistic. I still see his home run that basically ended Lidge as a closer in Houston.

Like many of the SP players FP usually mock, he wants to play t-ball

Mike, just to be clear, spent 3 nites* a week playing on multiple SP teams and tourneys on the weekend before we had kids, it was the best time of my life. By contrast, hitting FP is just theory with me, never faced one that you couldn't plug in. "She" puts it in the same spot, same speed and I wear her out.

*that's how I spell it.