The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 12:27pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Pleasureable Tournament

Yeah, I know an oxymoronic topic. Seriously, I had the pleasure of working a tournament during the day the past couple days in which men aged 65 and over played for regional and national tournament bids. Very cordial discussions and compliments from the players and coaches after the games. Ahhhh, I love the wisdom that comes with age. Wish every softball player that doesn't play at the senior level could see this stuff, and learn a thing or two about sportsmanship.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Yeah, I know an oxymoronic topic. Seriously, I had the pleasure of working a tournament during the day the past couple days in which men aged 65 and over played for regional and national tournament bids. Very cordial discussions and compliments from the players and coaches after the games. Ahhhh, I love the wisdom that comes with age. Wish every softball player that doesn't play at the senior level could see this stuff, and learn a thing or two about sportsmanship.
I agree completely. Last year, we had minimal problems at the Senior Men's National. The UIC for that tournament is a firm believer that the players who play those tourneys keep the game the way it was meant to be played.

I, for one, agree.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I agree completely. Last year, we had minimal problems at the Senior Men's National. The UIC for that tournament is a firm believer that the players who play those tourneys keep the game the way it was meant to be played.

I, for one, agree.
I don't know, there are some real ornery and cantankerous old ****s out there.....

But overall, I agree. Now, if those old farts would get rid of that damn mat!
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't know, there are some real ornery and cantankerous old ****s out there.....
You're not THAT bad, Mike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Oh I agree with you there! Unfortunately, that's the rule as it currently stands, so that's what I call.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

i like that mat, make's calling balls and strikes so much easier in SP. I've done alot of FP as well as Baseball but I still can not for the life of me figure out how to call the SP strike zone. Any of ya'll got any advice on it?
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
i like that mat, make's calling balls and strikes so much easier in SP. I've done alot of FP as well as Baseball but I still can not for the life of me figure out how to call the SP strike zone. Any of ya'll got any advice on it?
Yes, stop looking at the ground. Use the same mechanics and set as in FP and look over the plate through the zone.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
Be patient and observant. In time, you'll learn how to judge what kind of a swing it would take to hit various pitches coming in at various angles and speeds.

Bear in mind that where a pitch lands has NOTHING to do with whether or not it is a strike. However, for newer umpires, watching where it lands is just one way to survive until they get better at calling the plate.

All you can do is keep calling games and stay observant. Watch what the batters swing at, and whether they have to reach up or down and out for the ball.

I dare say that the SP strike zone is the toughest to call. FP and MP come in at a relatively straight line. SP comes in at bizarre angles.

Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 02:48pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:

They're ornery alright, in a good way, to each other. Some of their "slams" at each other were hilarious.