Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Georgia getting hammered on IP

Sat. PM game

Getting called for being out of lane... by PU
Sure looks to me like the foot could be ON the line and not illegal...but I don't have Tivo..

(I posted this before I realized her earlier game had been discussed)

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Sat May 30, 2009 at 07:03pm.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Sat. PM game

Getting called for being out of lane... by PU
Sure looks to me like the foot could be ON the line and not illegal...but I don't have Tivo..
Definitely looks too close to call to me. Earlier today she was definitely outside the line.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

I will venture a guess that she is out.

Last edited by ronald; Sat May 30, 2009 at 10:33pm. Reason: being flippant
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

If you have to guess, she's not out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
I will venture a guess that she is out.
Of course, we have the angle thing going on. It might not be as close as it looks. I don't know the HP umpire, but I believe I've seen him at the WCWS before and he must be an outstanding umpire. I don't have any complaints, I just don't believe she is that outside the line, even with the angle, to call it. Especially now that the lines are basically gone.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 07:25pm

I thought she was well outside the box on many that weren't called, and managed to get out of the inning. I think that when the line gets obliterated, that they should either rechalk the lines at the top of the inning, or stop calling it. It's a BS rule to start with, and makes the game even more unwatchable than it already is.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
snip
It's a BS rule to start with, and makes the game even more unwatchable than it already is.
Gee, thanks, I really value the comments from someone who doesn't like the game to begin with..
Makes me wonder why the **** you are here in the first place.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 12:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Gee, thanks, I really value the comments from someone who doesn't like the game to begin with..
Makes me wonder why the **** you are here in the first place.
Gee, thanks for swearing at me. I don't appreciate that. Another example of class. I cordially invite you to my house to swear at me to my face, but you won't, because it's much safer to say things over the Internet.

Did someone die recently and make you the judge of who's comments should be valued, or in other words, why did you think I addressed my comments to you? I could care less what you value. I watch the softball, and I don't care what you think, the rule sucks, and makes the game drag on and on. I made my comments about the inconsistency of the calls, my suggestion for rechalking the lines, and to voice my disagreement with the rule. I did not insult you personally.

Now, go back to minding your own business. If you mind your own business, then you won't be minding mine, as Hank Sr. once sang.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

[quote=SanDiegoSteve;605813]Gee, thanks for swearing at me. I don't appreciate that. Another example of class. I cordially invite you to my house to swear at me to my face, but you won't, because it's much safer to say things over the Internet. [/qoute]

Equal situation in courage. Of course, you are assuming he would actually come to your house.

Quote:
I could care less what you value
Really? How much less could you care?
Quote:

I watch the softball, and I don't care what you think, the rule sucks, and makes the game drag on and on.
What exactly about requiring a pitcher to keep her feet within the 24" of the pitcher's plate makes the game drag?

Quote:
Now, go back to minding your own business. If you mind your own business, then you won't be minding mine, as Hank Sr. once sang.
If you really don't care what someone else thinks, why would you worry about whose business they mind?
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Gee, thanks for swearing at me. I don't appreciate that. Another example of class. I cordially invite you to my house to swear at me to my face, but you won't, because it's much safer to say things over the Internet.

Did someone die recently and make you the judge of who's comments should be valued, or in other words, why did you think I addressed my comments to you? I could care less what you value. I watch the softball, and I don't care what you think, the rule sucks, and makes the game drag on and on. I made my comments about the inconsistency of the calls, my suggestion for rechalking the lines, and to voice my disagreement with the rule. I did not insult you personally.

Swear at you?? what did I say??? - you filled in the blank

No you didn't insult me personally, nor did I insult you personally, I guess....

but....Uh, you did post your comment on a discussion board.
A discussion board where presumably the people commenting have an interest in the game..

So you dis the game by saying:
makes the game even more unwatchable than it already is.

and don't want any reaction???

Hey sorry if you didn't like my response... sometimes after honky tonkin till 2 or 3, my fingers type kind of fast... but you do understand my point, don't you..

Let's jes be friends bro, sometimes I get so lonesome I could cry and I need all the friends I can get....
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Questions?

Why does the NCAA want to enforce a rule that is so difficult to see? Are the umpires upset with the lined pitching lanes? Do they really want another umpire on the field? Is that the real reason? Why not re-chalk the lines every 3 innings? I will read your replies. Thanks.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Bear View Post
Why does the NCAA want to enforce a rule that is so difficult to see?
Don't know, ask the coaches.

Quote:
Are the umpires upset with the lined pitching lanes?
I don't think the umpires take the lines seriously, but why should they?

Quote:
Do they really want another umpire on the field?
I only count three.

Quote:
Is that the real reason?
Is what the real reason?

Quote:
Why not re-chalk the lines every 3 innings?
They probably could if it was wanted by the coaches.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Nice reply. But to clarify, is the real reason for this lined pitching lane, to get another umpire on the field?
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nice reply. But to clarify, is the real reason for this lined pitching lane, to get another umpire on the field?
I have absolutely no idea where you are trying to go with this. These lines are no different than the foul line, 3' line, pitcher's circle or batter's box lines.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The real reason for it is one pitcher was deemed to be always outside the lane, so the coaches lobbied to get a rule in place so that THEY could see her violating the 24" pitching lane rule. Umpires have nothing to do with the rules in most organizations, and absolute none with the NCAA.

Personally, I would like to see this particular rule go away, but I know that it won't.

Three umpires are what are employed in most NCAA games, and in all regional, super-regional, and WCWS games.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Info on NCAA softball rules committee and the rules process

An explanation of the purpose of the pitching lane lines rule and why it implemented.

And there is some umpire input into the rules process in the form of rules surveys and a non-voting umpire attending the rules meetings. From the Cactus Umpires site: "Bob Milosavljevic of Massachusetts has accepted the Rules Committee’s invitation to serve in this non-voting role for 2009 & 2010."