The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Hammered!!

Worked with varsity officials for the first time the other nite and didn't go well. These guys intimated the heck out of me and never felt comfortable and as a result, had my worst outing in my brief 3 week career. I'm still working on my mechanics and they had very little patience with me and unfortunately let it affect my performance. All I wanted to do was run out of the gym and hide. Funny thing though, after the games, I got some compliments from the players which made me somewhat feel better.
Any of you rookies experienced this?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 11:59am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
Worked with varsity officials for the first time the other nite and didn't go well. These guys intimated the heck out of me and never felt comfortable and as a result, had my worst outing in my brief 3 week career. I'm still working on my mechanics and they had very little patience with me and unfortunately let it affect my performance. All I wanted to do was run out of the gym and hide. Funny thing though, after the games, I got some compliments from the players which made me somewhat feel better.
That would make ME a little unnerved.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
My very first game of my very first camp I was getting absolutely reamed by the floor observer and I deserved it. Midway through the half during some free throws a player standing next to me said "Hey, you're not THAT bad, I don't know what his problem is"

Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
My very first game of my very first camp I was getting absolutely reamed by the floor observer and I deserved it. Midway through the half during some free throws a player standing next to me said "Hey, you're not THAT bad, I don't know what his problem is"

If it was an IAABO camp, I can probably guess which observer that is, having experienced a reaming or two myself.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

So far I have never experienced this. But I wouldn't be too happy about it cause.. Rookie or not you cannot show up your fellow official on the court.. Ream me out off the court.. I have no issue, but on the court we must "appear" as equals. Or as close to it as possible.

That is my take.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
If it was an IAABO camp, I can probably guess which observer that is, having experienced a reaming or two myself.

Yes it was an IAABO camp and I bet you can guess who it was but it actually wasn't who I think you're thinking of. He was actually quite nice to me as a newbie (and even as a not so newbie) but I did get more than my share of hats thrown at me at camp while I was on the court!

Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:

Yes it was an IAABO camp and I bet you can guess who it was but it actually wasn't who I think you're thinking of. He was actually quite nice to me as a newbie (and even as a not so newbie) but I did get more than my share of hats thrown at me at camp while I was on the court!

The gentleman I am thinking of is from NJ.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
The gentleman I am thinking of is from NJ.
Yep, he's the guy I thought you had in mind. Really nice guy once you get to know him, just don't f@ck up under his watchful eye.

Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps they were not pleased about getting a newbie on a varsity game and took their frustration out on you instead of the assignor? Dont take it personally. Review in your mind how you performed and find something positive from it; and a few things that need to be improved. work on those things and the rest will take care of itself. Consider it a crash course and you lived thru it
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Perhaps they were not pleased about getting a newbie on a varsity game and took their frustration out on you instead of the assignor? Dont take it personally. Review in your mind how you performed and find something positive from it; and a few things that need to be improved. work on those things and the rest will take care of itself. Consider it a crash course and you lived thru it
My guess is it was a subvarsity game being worked by varsity officials with our newbie friend here.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

that makes more sense. but we dont run 3-person on Sub V, so I assumed........
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

and I assumed 3-person because of plural on officials.... heavy sigh. I going back to work now.... good luck and be patient.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 01:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Yep, he's the guy I thought you had in mind. Really nice guy once you get to know him, just don't f@ck up under his watchful eye.

Fortunately it was 3 man and one of them REALLY screwed up a couple times to take the pressure off.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
So far I have never experienced this. But I wouldn't be too happy about it cause.. Rookie or not you cannot show up your fellow official on the court.. Ream me out off the court.. I have no issue, but on the court we must "appear" as equals. Or as close to it as possible.

That is my take.

If I read your post correctly, I don't think he said the other officials showed him up, it was more of his perception of being intimidated. I would like to think that they tried to make him feel relaxed and were comfortable in their own skin enough not be concerned about looking bad.

Everyone has to start sometime. I had a thread about a brand, spanking new ref who I was teamed up with for a Soph boys tourney over Thanksgiving. I had a blast helping him out, and he was terrific and receptive to any comments I gave him. On the court, they were very subtle, non verbal signals, not to bring attention to us.

It brought back memories of both jerks and good guys during my learning curve.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 02:02pm
Administrator

Quote:

You mean Edgar?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio