Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Championship

MI-AL

R1(1B), one out, check-swing dribbler.

First base umpire, after a ball thrown past F4 covering 1B and BR advances to 2B steps into foul territory and damn near steps in front of the defender with the ball checking R1 at 3B.

What the hell is she doing there? This may be where the "rim" mentality places the umpire in the LAST place she should be.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

I have it dvr'd and I have not seen the play. Without seeing the play but possibly the BU was heading home as they were rotated and got caught in a bad place?
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
I have it dvr'd and I have not seen the play. Without seeing the play but possibly the BU was heading home as they were rotated and got caught in a bad place?
I understand where she was going, but once you are stuck, you stay still, not run into the play.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

how did 1st base umpire get to third base. confused
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
how did 1st base umpire get to third base. confused
front of the defender with the ball checking R1 at 3B.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
MI-AL

First base umpire, after a ball thrown past F4 covering 1B and BR advances to 2B steps into foul territory and damn near steps in front of the defender with the ball checking R1 at 3B.

What the hell is she doing there? This may be where the "rim" mentality places the umpire in the LAST place she should be.
Mike, "rim" mentality had nothing to do with this play, ball was still in the infield. Her mistake was not reacting to the overthrow properly. The play started with a runner on first, and that play specifically is difficult to rotate out of. I know as U1 in this situation, my attention has been on the BR, not going home. It seemed to me (with that 1400 mile through the TV psychic ability that I have) that the "I need to be home" light came on. Ergo, let's chalk this up to bad mechanic rather than blaming the "rim."
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

I agree she moved out of refelx rather than thought

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MI-AL

I think she was a)nervous, or b)just didn't belong at that level, or c)both. I noticed on several force plays she was about 6 ft from the play. A little close to be taking in all of the elements.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I think she was a)nervous, or b)just didn't belong at that level, or c)both. I noticed on several force plays she was about 6 ft from the play. A little close to be taking in all of the elements.
Trust me, Traci is qualified to be there.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Trust me, Traci is qualified to be there.
Then maybe a)?????

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Mike, "rim" mentality had nothing to do with this play, ball was still in the infield. Her mistake was not reacting to the overthrow properly. The play started with a runner on first, and that play specifically is difficult to rotate out of. I know as U1 in this situation, my attention has been on the BR, not going home. It seemed to me (with that 1400 mile through the TV psychic ability that I have) that the "I need to be home" light came on. Ergo, let's chalk this up to bad mechanic rather than blaming the "rim."
B,

I agree. The only reason I mentioned the "rim" mentality is that if the ball was in foul ground, that is the last place I am going as an umpire in this scenario. Only working the "rim" would an umpire attempt this in a rotation. Most others would have the umpire inside which in this case trying to navigate through the diamond could have been just as dangerous.

No mechanical rotation is based upon bad play. Sometimes, it is just better to stay pat and announce "2-umpire" to your crew.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Then maybe a)?????
Considering her resume, only if it was her first play of the tournament. Otherwise, no.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
B,

I agree. The only reason I mentioned the "rim" mentality is that if the ball was in foul ground, that is the last place I am going as an umpire in this scenario. Only working the "rim" would an umpire attempt this in a rotation. Most others would have the umpire inside which in this case trying to navigate through the diamond could have been just as dangerous.

No mechanical rotation is based upon bad play. Sometimes, it is just better to stay pat and announce "2-umpire" to your crew.
"Working the rim" (a specific technique by U1 moving off the line on ball from CF to LF) is a specific case of not following a strict interpretation of the inside-outside theory. The SUIP allowed for this a few years ago, and when employed works wonderfully. However, some umpires use this too often. I see this concept/idea and the specific play at not being related.

I totally agree with your last paragraph, as this addresses the specific play. Weird plays call for the crew to communicate, react, and cover. PU in this case will see if U1 is stuck at first and can take the lead runner from third into home if necessary.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

I got it now and do remember that play. Now I can use it as a learning experience with your "No mechanical rotation is based upon bad play. Sometimes, it is just better to stay pat and announce "2-umpire" to your crew."

I will also start to bring this type of play up in 3 man pre-game as something quite similar happened in a 3 man game I had the other day.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

ASU-Wash

Anybody see the tag play at home in the bottom of the 4th?

I didn't notice which BU went out on the ball, I assume it was the umpire at 2B.

I would have the PU in a holding zone, not inside. Moving back outside behind the runner put her behind the play, but luckily the catcher made a nice grab and tag with plenty of time. And it helped that the runner's alleged slide was more of a tumble.

Was she where she was supposed to be? If so, the SUIP might want to take another look at that one.