The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I've been working a lot with NCAA umpires to get evaluated and work on their mechanics and to bone up my game.. and I like the rim when shot to left, no need to run in.. just rim.

But on a long shot, they will rim all the way to 2nd, cut in behind the runner, coming into the infield on the 1B side of 2B as the runner rounds 2B. This was a PAC 10 Conference umpire.

That may be fine in 3 man, with PU coming up and U1 rotating home - but in 2 man, where BU has the BR all the way to 3rd, that puts the umps behind the runner and IMO, you would have no chance of a good position for a call at 3. You would have to pass an 18G base runner and be set by the time the runner gets there. yeah right. That runner will be there in about 2 seconds.

Because the BU was behind a runner, I was already moving to assist at 3 if need be. After I saw this the 2nd time, I asked my partner if they expected me to get the call at 3B and they said "no I have the BR to 3B".

???

Not unless you are faster than a speeding 18 Gold bullet you dont.

I like rimming, but in 2 man, it is not ideal in all cases. That mechanic is more for 3 Man than a 2 man system.

So when considering NCAA vs ASA mechanics, I think standards concerning number of umpires typically assigned a game should be considered. Rimming, IMO, is a 3 Man mechanic - with the exception of the lazy rim on the easy base hit to the left/left center.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

don't recall

If I ever did I wont admidit it.

If a tree falls in the woods, let it lie.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post
If I ever did I wont admidit it.

If a tree falls in the woods, let it lie.
And in 6 months it will provide fuel to the next 10K acre fire
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
So when considering NCAA vs ASA mechanics, I think standards concerning number of umpires typically assigned a game should be considered. Rimming, IMO, is a 3 Man mechanic - with the exception of the lazy rim on the easy base hit to the left/left center.
hrmmm... lets say no runners on .. shot to left field fence. U3 goes out and you (U1) rim... how is that different than working the same play in 2 man? personally, I have had no difficulty in getting to third and getting a good 90 on this play even when working 18u ball. (gosh but they weren't gold) maybe you could cut the corner sooner? or I could send you a copy of P90x ....just kidding.