Thread: runover by F1
View Single Post
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
Something painfully interesting happened to me yesterday. High School Play-offs, I'm BU, no runners on, no outs. Deep hit to left, I start in to the infield, like I've done a thousand times before, I look at the runner advancing, glance over to the ball, look back at the runner .... BAM! the first baseman knocks this 280 pound ex-Marine on his butt. That's right, I collide with F1. I have never seen a first baseman in that move in that area before, which is why we set up and run where we do. I am not kidding I was easily 20 feet from first base and about five feet in front of the first-second base line when we collided. The girl's head hit my collar bone (which is still sore today) and her knee hit me in the upper thigh. The girl was unhurt, as I am not a rock hard as I used to be,( yea, there are a few soft spots on this overweight body).

Any you guy ever collide with a player before?
First baseman is F3. I've come close a couple of times, brushing a second baseman who was backing up a throw from F5 to F3. As I came inside to get the 45, she cut right in front of me, once almost obscuring my view of the play at first base. After the second time it happened, I talked to the coach about it and said if she was blocking my view of the play, I'd have no choice but to rule the runner safe. That fixed it.

Also had another semi-collision with a catcher after a throw from the outfield took a weird bounce off the backstop. He thought it was going to go in a certain direction, but apparently hit a post and went somewhere else. He almost took me out trying to retrieve the ball.

Ted