The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
hey guys. TOnight, mens fastpitch. PU calls a strike, batter dosen't like it. goes to draw a line, PU warns him....don't draw that line or else your outta here.

my question is..how do you guys handle someone who draws a line with a bat??

my out look on it is that he's trying to show me up and make me look like an ***, so therefore his night is over

Tyler
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have never seen anyone draw a line in FP. What would be the point? I have seen it many a time in SP, usually in a effort on the part of the player to show what a pitch was "too deep,"(one of those mythological softball terms)and yes, any artwork on the field is grounds for an early night at home for the player.

Scott
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
I have never seen anyone draw a line in FP.

Usually they're erasing the lines in FP.
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

""too deep,"(one of those mythological softball terms)"

This is not "mythological" in some slow pitch rules. Here in So Cal, the Southern California Municipal Athletic Federation (SCMAF) uses a plate extender. The pitch, aside from the height requirements, must hit the plate or extender to be a strike. If the pitch goes beyond the extender, it's "too deep".

Bob
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
hey guys. TOnight, mens fastpitch. PU calls a strike, batter dosen't like it. goes to draw a line, PU warns him....don't draw that line or else your outta here.

my question is..how do you guys handle someone who draws a line with a bat??

my out look on it is that he's trying to show me up and make me look like an ***, so therefore his night is over

Tyler
Hold your hand out toward the batter and request to see his bat. Take the bat, continue the line in the direction of the nearest gate. Draw an arrow at the end and say, "Have a good night."

Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
i can't believe you guys have never heard of a player objecting to a called strike by drawing the line. I've seen it done both on the inside, and outside of the plate. To me, this is considering showing up the umpire and a quick trip to the showers. My concern last night was that my partner, stopped the batter from drawing the line. he warned him 3 times. Now, what about consistancy? What happens if he's umpiring the non-offending team in 2 weeks time and one of there batter goes to draw a line and he dosen't stop them, let's him finish the line and boots his *** out??? dosen't say much for his consistancy as to when enough is enough, if you ask me.

I like IRISMAFIA's idea

And as for your slow pitch referances.....I personally find that game very boring and I never write the softball exam so they can't send me to do any games

Tyler
Old Thu Jul 04, 2002, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
i can't believe you guys have never heard of a player objecting to a called strike by drawing the line. I've seen it done both on the inside, and outside of the plate. To me, this is considering showing up the umpire and a quick trip to the showers. My concern last night was that my partner, stopped the batter from drawing the line. he warned him 3 times. Now, what about consistancy? What happens if he's umpiring the non-offending team in 2 weeks time and one of there batter goes to draw a line and he dosen't stop them, let's him finish the line and boots his *** out??? dosen't say much for his consistancy as to when enough is enough, if you ask me.

I like IRISMAFIA's idea

And as for your slow pitch referances.....I personally find that game very boring and I never write the softball exam so they can't send me to do any games

Tyler
I guess your partner didn't stop the batter if he had to warn him three times.

As far as slowpitch, I find fastpitch very boring to umpire.
I work it, but I much prefer the slowpitch game where there is unending action the entire game, not just when a pitcher gets tired or a batter gets lucky, but that is just my preference.

Old Thu Jul 04, 2002, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I like Mike's arrow and may use that the next time somebody draws a line. When I've chosen not to toss, I'll say to the offending batter something like "I'm going to keep you in the game if I can. That line you just drew is where you're inside corner is for the rest of the game."

Steve M