The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Distracting cheers

From NFHS board. We have rules against attempts to distract the pitcher, but apparently no similar rule against trying to distract the batter? What is the general consensus about a player or team yelling "swing batter" or any other obvious cheer or attempt to distract the batter?
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

ignore it. Try not to let it get to you.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Tune it out.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
From NFHS board. We have rules against attempts to distract the pitcher, but apparently no similar rule against trying to distract the batter? What is the general consensus about a player or team yelling "swing batter" or any other obvious cheer or attempt to distract the batter?
There is none. My personal opinion is that addressing an opponent in any manner other than common pleasantries is form of USC. Many do not agree. Some believe anything goes. I don't.

Speaking ASA

Base coaches are forbidden, by rule, to address the opponent or make any comments which would reflect negatively upon the opponent, umpire or spectator. Why should one expect less from a player?
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

If, in your judgment, it is actually distracting the batter, (and that is its obvious intent), you do have rule backing to stop it (at least in NFHS).

Quote:
NFHS Rule 2, SECTION 36 OBSTRUCTION (DEFENSE)
Obstruction is the act of the defensive team member that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball... The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with players that want to cheer for their own team. However, I've never understood how "cheering" at an opposing team player to swing the bat and distracting them is cheering for your team.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Softball is not golf. Derogatory stuff is a no go - being the noise police is OOO.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Softball is not golf. Derogatory stuff is a no go - being the noise police is OOO.
And if they scream "SWING!" on an inside pitch as the ball approaches the plate at 60 MPH?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
And if they scream "SWING!" on an inside pitch as the ball approaches the plate at 60 MPH?
hopefully the batter hits that nugget outta the park and silences the bench for all time!!
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
So?

Swing batta batta has been around forever.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:43am
Ref Ump Welsch

This is something I've had batters b**ch about in slow-pitch, the chatty catcher who says stuff like "oh, that's a good pitch", "yeah, it's right there", etc. I've had batters ask me to shut the catcher up, and my response is simply, I can't unless it's derogatory.

The only time I ejected a catcher for USC while being chatty was a male catcher who said "That's a good pitch, swing that rack baby!" when a female batter was up to bat in a coed game. She let it go, wisely, because it would have been a ball, and as soon as it hit the ground and I called, "Ball...catcher, gimme the ball." He looked at me and asked why. I told him he was gone for USC and he dropped the ball in amazement and the batter said "now how does my rack look?"
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
This is something I've had batters b**ch about in slow-pitch, the chatty catcher who says stuff like "oh, that's a good pitch", "yeah, it's right there", etc. I've had batters ask me to shut the catcher up, and my response is simply, I can't unless it's derogatory.

The only time I ejected a catcher for USC while being chatty was a male catcher who said "That's a good pitch, swing that rack baby!" when a female batter was up to bat in a coed game. She let it go, wisely, because it would have been a ball, and as soon as it hit the ground and I called, "Ball...catcher, gimme the ball." He looked at me and asked why. I told him he was gone for USC and he dropped the ball in amazement and the batter said "now how does my rack look?"
rofl
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If, in your judgment, it is actually distracting the batter, (and that is its obvious intent), you do have rule backing to stop it (at least in NFHS).
IMO, this would be a gross violation - such as F5 charging in screaming like a banshee waiving her arms.. simply yelling "swing/ring/bling" is not interfering with a batter's ability to hit the ball.. is more like anti-interference-- its encouraging them to hit. There is no rule against encouraging them to hit the ball... not even that one.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
IMO, this would be a gross violation - such as F5 charging in screaming like a banshee waiving her arms.. simply yelling "swing/ring/bling" is not interfering with a batter's ability to hit the ball.. is more like anti-interference-- its encouraging them to hit. There is no rule against encouraging them to hit the ball... not even that one.
I was just pointing out the rule... the umpire does not need to rule USC; he may rule verbal OBS. I've never made this ruling. Ever.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I was just pointing out the rule... the umpire does not need to rule USC; he may rule verbal OBS. I've never made this ruling. Ever.
Thats cuz ur a good umpire!