The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I've been moved once last year and once this year in HS ball. I was fine with it in both cases. In last year's game I mishandled the situation a little. This year, different team, and my partner and I did everything right and one coach still was not happy with us. After the game I remarked to my partner, "Wait'll they see who shows up to their game next week!" But, it rained, their game got moved, and my assignor was able to give me another game instead of move me. Like I said, didn't really bother me, though I kind of wanted to see how many more rules I could get wrong in that coach's game.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 03:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I think you acted badly on both ends. OTOH, if you didn't the first time, the second wouldn't have occurred.

JMHO

By behaving badly, I meant, I couldn't help myself when I saw the coach in the resturant. This was a poorly run national tournament and during the girls' portion of the tournament, I had to eject a HC because he went nuclear on me when I called a blocking foul on his player in the open court. At that point the foul made it 4 fouls against his team and 8 against his opponents, and he was winning the game by 15 points with only 5 minutes left in the first half. His wife was court side holding their young daughter and she kept up a foul mouth tirade for the rest of the half. The TD didn't want to do anything about controlling her; finally an IU PE professor who was representing IU as a site manager had her removed by campus security when the TD wouldn't do anything.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
About nine years ago, I officiated in the AYBTour Boys' National Basketball Championships at Indiana University. During the double elimination portion of the tournament I had a boys' 16U game where a team was blown out by 35 points. I won't go into details but the HC received a TF from me in the first half. After the game he yelled at me that if I was scheduled to officiate his team's next game he would not play the game until I was removed. The tournament director (TD) was an idiot, but the HC didn't have the intestional fortitude to go to the TD with his threat.

Anyway, I looked at my schedule and sure enough later that day I was scheduled to officiate his team's next game. I took it upon myself to switch courts with another official so that I did not have to put up with the idiot HC. The HC never knew I was really supposed to officiate his team's second game that day. His team preceeded to get bounced out of the tournament by losing the game by 45 points.

Later that evening I saw him and his wife eating dinner in a local resturant. I know I behaved badly, but I couldn't help myself. I told him that I switched games because I didn't want to have to put him with his idiocy, and that if he had never made his threat about having me removed his team would have only lost by 35 points like in the first game instead of by 45 points.

MTD, Sr.
why would you even think of approaching him, especially at a public restaurant and with his wife?
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 06:48am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
why would you even think of approaching him, especially at a public restaurant and with his wife?

I never said is was a smart thing to do. But I just couldn't help myself This tournament had been a cluster f**k from the word go with regard as to how it was run and I was leaving for home the next morning and I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to turn the tables on a coach for once.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I never said is was a smart thing to do. But I just couldn't help myself This tournament had been a cluster f**k from the word go with regard as to how it was run and I was leaving for home the next morning and I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to turn the tables on a coach for once.

MTD, Sr.
why? its not like its a challenge or anything... usually
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Like you haven't dreamed about ripping into a jacka$$ coach before...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I work with a guy who I believe is slowly losing it around the coaches/fans. Its not all the time but the last 2 times he's yelled at the fans to shut up. I know its unprofessional and all that crap but it's still funny as hell. I went out to him and tried to be the comforting partner . He had a few choice words for me too so I left him alone. He came in and apoligized the next inning.

He's a good blue,good partner, and a good guy. Me thinks he's going to go "Falling Down" on them.

I have the dreams also of when I finally quit, which may be sooner then later, I'm gonna let them have it.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
Thank you all for the reponses.
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how many did you eject that night?

Four. All at around the same time. After 1st ejection, the rest of the team had trouble getting back into their dugout and resuming after "Play Ball".
I'm not doubting your actions, just asking some Q's.
In hindsite, do you regret tossing all 3 after the 1st one? Not that they didnt deserve it equally, but was there another way to settle things down, gain control, and still play the game?-- maybe tossing 1 more?

We've all been in sich's where we could toss multiples, and tossing 1 settles the others. Other times, you just gotta do what you gotta do.

What did the 1st player say to get ejected?
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
I'm not doubting your actions, just asking some Q's.
In hindsite, do you regret tossing all 3 after the 1st one? Not that they didnt deserve it equally, but was there another way to settle things down, gain control, and still play the game?-- maybe tossing 1 more?

We've all been in sich's where we could toss multiples, and tossing 1 settles the others. Other times, you just gotta do what you gotta do.

What did the 1st player say to get ejected?
I'll admit I was thinking the same thing, but I realized a couple of things:

1 - I wasn't there.
2 - Who am I to second guess him?

Things just happen, and you deal with them the best you can. If he wants advice, he'll ask for it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri May 15, 2009, 02:37pm
Administrator

Quote:

Yes, yes. That was my feelings back then.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

As someone else posted earlier we need to be professional about ejections.As a rule you eject someone and that person should be given a "clean slate"the next time you do their game. Now if an argument had gotten personal I would advise that official to lay low until they could officiate that coach's game like any other.WE are human and sometimes emotions can get heated it's our job to prevent the fire.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN View Post
As someone else posted earlier we need to be professional about ejections.As a rule you eject someone and that person should be given a "clean slate"the next time you do their game. Now if an argument had gotten personal I would advise that official to lay low until they could officiate that coach's game like any other.WE are human and sometimes emotions can get heated it's our job to prevent the fire.
You had me up until the last 7 words. I would qualify that statement with the following... "though sometimes, we're the ones left to mop up the mess."