The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Mandatory slide crap

So the next time someone says something about a mandatory slide rule, particularly at the plate, I will refer them to my young friend Meagan, the catcher who was taken straight off the field via ambulance in my game yesterday with a neck injury (likely minor, but a minor neck injury is akin to minor surgery), some cuts inside her mouth from her braces, and likely a concussion.

Girls 16U FP, largest tournament of the year, playing on all kinds of fields. This one is enclosed but 300' fences. B1 hits one approximately 279 feet. She's coming around third at a full head of steam. Throw to catcher is to first base side of home plate, so catcher has to reach back for it and then dive across at the runner, who is sliding.

Wham. Bam. No thank you ma'am.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
So the next time someone says something about a mandatory slide rule, particularly at the plate, I will refer them to my young friend Meagan, the catcher who was taken straight off the field via ambulance in my game yesterday with a neck injury (likely minor, but a minor neck injury is akin to minor surgery), some cuts inside her mouth from her braces, and likely a concussion.

Girls 16U FP, largest tournament of the year, playing on all kinds of fields. This one is enclosed but 300' fences. B1 hits one approximately 279 feet. She's coming around third at a full head of steam. Throw to catcher is to first base side of home plate, so catcher has to reach back for it and then dive across at the runner, who is sliding.

Wham. Bam. No thank you ma'am.
Sorry, John, but ........ what's your point and where does the "must slide" issue come into it?
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously, the runner should have been sliding. What else should she have been doing, going in like a line backer?

Softball is a dangerous sport.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 02:54pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Sometimes requiring a slide is probably more safe than not. I had a sitch last night where a shortstop said next time that runner decides not to slide when I'm trying to throw it to first for the double play, I'm gonna hit him. Not the first time, and it wasn't an obvious attempt to break up a double play, but still....
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Sometimes requiring a slide is probably more safe than not.
Hope you have counsel on a retainer, 'cause it isn't worth my house and family.

Quote:
I had a sitch last night where a shortstop said next time that runner decides not to slide when I'm trying to throw it to first for the double play, I'm gonna hit him. Not the first time, and it wasn't an obvious attempt to break up a double play, but still....
That is where warn or throw the SS for USC and make sure all participants know that I am more than willing to offer testimony to the statement showing predetermination and maybe even suggesting a nasty, er....I mean good lawyer to the injured player's family.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Sorry, John, but ........ what's your point and where does the "must slide" issue come into it?
The point I was trying to make is that is pointless to have a mandatory slide rule. This runner did slide, legally, without malice...and catcher left in an ambulance.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sometimes requiring a slide is probably more safe than not...
Tell it to the girl at a regional I worked in 2003...the one with the compound leg fracture who hasn't been able to play sports since.

Tell it to the catcher who left the field yesterday in the ambulance.

I'm sure we can find many more examples. It can be a dangerous sport, and making slides mandatory at any level is not going to make it any less dangerous.

Last edited by bkbjones; Tue May 05, 2009 at 02:35pm. Reason: So Stu Clary wouldn't make fun of my grandkids. Stu, next time, just PM me
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Their father's father was one year old when he slid into second base...and was fatally garrotted by his necklace when he was tagged.
One year olds shouldn't wear necklaces or play competitive sports.

Still, I must say that it's pretty impressive that he sired a son and played ball at such a young age. What a prodigy!
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post

Still, I must say that it's pretty impressive that he sired a son and played ball at such a young age. What a prodigy!
Not funny. At all.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post

I get sarcasm. I get humor. I'm often an @$$hole, so I get that. I even sometimes get impersonal internet humor.

This, however, is just way the %$#@ over the line, even if it concerned someone I didn't know.

A "hey John, you %$cked up" on the board, or a PM, or hell an e-mail or a phone call (I'm all over the web AND the internet, so it wouldn't be hard) would have worked just fine.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 07:45am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Hope you have counsel on a retainer, 'cause it isn't worth my house and family.

That is where warn or throw the SS for USC and make sure all participants know that I am more than willing to offer testimony to the statement showing predetermination and maybe even suggesting a nasty, er....I mean good lawyer to the injured player's family.
I meant that rhetorically, but there are situations where a slide would be the better protection for the runner, i.e. the play I described in my earlier posting.

This was uttered in a USSSA men's slow-pitch travel team league. I told the SS (who is a fellow umpire by the way) I'm ignoring that, but if it did happen he wouldn't be finishing the night on the field. I also went to the other team and suggested getting down or out of the way somehow to allow the throw to 1B for the double play, or I would be calling interference. I had to be careful with my choice of words both ways because I was working with my local Assistant UIC, and he's known to kowtow to the teams' whims in this league.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Sliding lawsuits? I wonder if its ever happened. It probably happened ONCE and was handled lickity split by the ins company, with a settlement, and the umpire never heard word one about it. No ones going to court, testifying, or going after some broke *** umpire. They want the easy settlement INS money. There is no need to worry about a retainer if you stick to working your covered events.. you already have one. I believe the reps example was they could "play softball with hand grenades and you are covered".

As to the OP.. have heard the horrific story dozens of times, could have almost guessed the OP was a segway to "the tragic event" which defines how bkb approaches the game in many respects - that accident means nothing in terms of my approach to the game.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
could have almost guessed the OP was a segway to "the tragic event" which defines how bkb approaches the game in many respects - that accident means nothing in terms of my approach to the game.
Saw that story coming again too! It's horrible but sure gets thrown on here a bunch. It has nothing to do with sliding but reason why you don't wear jewelry!

As far as sliding, it's the safest, but not totally safe. No way I'm mandating someone slide. If they don't and cause INT or malicious contact I have a rule to cover it. Injuries are going to happen

Last edited by Dholloway1962; Tue May 05, 2009 at 08:21am.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was uttered in a USSSA men's slow-pitch travel team league. I told the SS (who is a fellow umpire by the way) I'm ignoring that, but if it did happen he wouldn't be finishing the night on the field. I also went to the other team and suggested getting down or out of the way somehow to allow the throw to 1B for the double play, or I would be calling interference.
Nope, this is bad advice. You shouldn't be telling the teams to do anything. Again, just setting yourself up.

What happens when the next runner "gets out of the way" by moving inside and the SS moves the same way for fear of an ejection and, BAM, the SS just did what you warned him not to do because of your suggestion to the other team.

Umpire the game and leave the coaching to the coaches.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

The problem with mandatory slide rules is some of these girls don't know how to slide because they have never been taught to slide. I see it all the time: Girls who slow down and practically sit on the base; starting their slide too late and ramming their ankles into the base; head first slides that wind up being face first slides; sprained wrists for trying to break their fall, etc.

The coaches are often the ones who petition for a rule to be put in place. Mandatory slide rules are often seen in low-level rec ball. Perhaps if the threat of law suit was placed on the coaches, we would see less of that particular "rule".