The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

After action report

What a play, WHAT A GAME! (2-0 final score)R1 @ 2nd, R2 @ 1st, 2 outs, B5 hits single to center field. F8 makes a great glove save, and throw to F2. F2 is in front of the 3rd base line, clearly not in the path of R1 who is steaming around 3rd and headed for home. F2 catches the one bounce throw from F8 (it was a great throw) and moves into the runner’s path. R1 slides, F2 blocks, I’m looking on with the white hot intensity of a 1000 suns, moms swoon, dads shout, coaches are holding the breath, the dust settles …. I give a giant overhand out, “HAAAugh!” In comes the head coach form 3rd, in comes the assistant coach from 1st both nearly in unison, “Whaaa! That’s horrible you called her safe, then you called her out.” I was thinking to myself, I called nothing until I saw the out, then I called her out. Both coaches are in my personal space, pointing at the plate, the catcher, the runner, both are shouting at me. Partner arrives and shoos the assistant coach away, he heads to the dugout, but continues with the standard boilerplate comments.

Now the head coach starts with the questions, “You called her safe and then changed to out!” I did not, but talking to my partner after the game he said when I was looking at the play, my closed hands were at my chest and my elbows were sticking straight out. But at the time I had no idea what the coach was ranting about so I replied with a dry, “No I did not Coach, she never touched the plate she’s out.”

“Well then that’s interference!” he shouts. To which I calmly rely, “There was no obstruction on the play the catcher had the ball.”

“So she was blocking the plate before she got the ball? She has to give my runner clear path to the plate, where was that path? Can you show me that path?” Now I can hold my own in a shouting match, and if it is a battle of wits I think I am pretty sharp, but thanks to my past life with my [still] beloved Corps I usually resort to compound words, which is why when I discuss things with a coach or my wife, I keep my mouth shut and just look them in the eye. I then keep my answers to “Yes sir” or “No ma’am.” I haven’t used the BIG adjective in an argument for years. So when I start to get mad, I usually turn my back and walk to my next or to a safe position. It is my way a saying the argument is over. So the head coach starts to go to my partner, who was still nearby but not involved. I look at the coach and firmly say, “Coach it is time for you to go back to your dugout sir” “What I can’t ask him?” “No sir.”

Game continues, six out later we all go home, some happy, some still complaining about the call at the plate. Me? I went home and mowed the lawn and had vegetable beef soup for dinner. Man I love this time of year.

Last edited by BuggBob; Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 11:47am.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:13pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
Now the head coach starts with the questions, “You called her safe and then changed to out!” I did not, but talking to my partner after the game he said when I was looking at the play, my closed hands were at my chest and my elbows were sticking straight out. But at the time I had no idea what the coach was ranting about so I replied with a dry, “No I did not Coach, she never touched the plate she’s out.”

“Well then that’s interference!” he shouts. To which I calmly rely, “There was no obstruction on the play the catcher had the ball.”
Irfreakingrelevant...if I took that posture and someone accused me of making a safe call, my response: my arms never extended, and I never made the verbal call.

Coaches who use the wrong terms when arguing a call need to be shot and mounted for all to mock.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but talking to my partner after the game he said when I was looking at the play, my closed hands were at my chest and my elbows were sticking straight out.
ummm... ok.. ummm.. were they playing the rump shaker song over the intercom?

great call btw... its just the visual i get makes me smile.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
ummm... ok.. ummm.. were they playing the rump shaker song over the intercom?

great call btw... its just the visual i get makes me smile.
I was thinking the chicken dance...

Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What a play, WHAT A GAME! F2 catches the one bounce throw from F8 (it was a great throw) and moves into the runner’s path.
After developing your angle and distance and seeing F2 with possession of the ball and the runner coming towards home, why didn't you go hands on knees set? This could have avoided the confusion of a safe mechanic where your hands were at your chest with your elbows extended.

From training notes:

On Instructional Technique : A quick word on a method for starting of the "safe" and "out" signal by initially starting from a hands-on-knees set. It is particularly important when teaching novice umpires. The real-world sequence becomes: "pause, bust to the angle, pause to access the throw, hands-on-knees-set, read, now "CALL IT", return to set."
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
After developing your angle and distance and seeing F2 with possession of the ball and the runner coming towards home, why didn't you go hands on knees set? This could have avoided the confusion of a safe mechanic where your hands were at your chest with your elbows extended.

From training notes:

On Instructional Technique : A quick word on a method for starting of the "safe" and "out" signal by initially starting from a hands-on-knees set. It is particularly important when teaching novice umpires. The real-world sequence becomes: "pause, bust to the angle, pause to access the throw, hands-on-knees-set, read, now "CALL IT", return to set."
I never do and never would suggest any umpire place their hands on the knees. There is a reason intructors at many levels abandoned this move, mainly because it often locks an umpire, especially a novice umpire, into a specific, limited-mobility stance and that is not where you want to be.
I understand what you are trying to do, but a standard, every-day set position works.

I also know what happened, but not why. I fould myself bringing my fists to my chests last fall in a game. Had no idea why I did it and didn't realize it until a player said I was ready to call a runner safe before there was even a play. Like Bob, I'm saying that just wasn't true. So far, this season I have gone out of my to make sure this doesn't occur.

However, in a discussion with a couple umpires yesterday, I may have an idea why some PUs may do this. One umpire was getting "gigged" at a higher level because he was raising his left hand to just below his right shoulder any time he went to call a strike or routine out. He was not aware he was doing it, but noted that the shoulder pads on his CP tend to be a little tight. It turns out it may have been a simple reaction of lifting the CP enough to get a good hammer. Now that he knows, he is making adjustments to correct it.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ha! I agree with the others.. with a description like that, there is no doubt this was a perfectly executed and correct call.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
“Well then that’s interference!” he shouts.
No, no, no!

Your calm response should have been: You want me to rule interference?

Coach: Damn, right, I do!

You (still calm): Coach, ask and ye shall receive. INTERFERENCE, RUNNER IS OUT. RUNNERS ON 3RD & 2ND RETURN TO 2ND & 1ST.

Coach: What the hell was that?

You (very calm): Just gave you what you asked for, Coach. Anything else I can do for you before we continue?

Okay, so it is a dream (even though I had done this a few years ago). But I would love to read what this coach would put in a complaint of such an incident
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now that is a good idea, but remember as PU, I still had my mask. Try standing with your hands on your knees with mask in hand. I may be a bit uncomfortable.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
There is a reason intructors at many levels abandoned this move, mainly because it often locks an umpire, especially a novice umpire, into a specific, limited-mobility stance and that is not where you want to be.
I understand what you are trying to do, but a standard, every-day set position works.
It's also still being taught at many levels. Last I heard, both Pro Schools are still going to hands on knees set in this type of situation.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's also still being taught at many levels. Last I heard, both Pro Schools are still going to hands on knees set in this type of situation.
And what pro softball schools would they be?
Official Forum Member

Quote:

From training notes:

Looking for this in the NFHS Umpire Manual...you got a page for that?
Official Forum Member

Quote:

They have Pro schools for softball? no fargin way!!! sign my short @ss up!!
Lord knows i need the help.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It ain't bein teached in Seattle.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Looking for this in the NFHS Umpire Manual...you got a page for that?
page 31... it aint there.