The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Not a forum for wanna be vaudevillians to ply their craft.
I'm impressed you could spell vaulde...vaultvill...vaudevilai.......DAMN!
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm impressed you could spell vaulde...vaultvill...vaudevilai.......DAMN!
All of these years in public education (aka vaudeville) have paid off!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
I thought most b-ballers were going to the hammer, too. Seems like a lot on TV do.

When I did BB and SB, I would point in BB and hammer in SB. I've only been doing SB, mostly FED, for a few years now.
When I started in LL about 10 years ago I did the hammer for SB, and always have. I've done the point for BB, but it was "pointed" out to me that I was turning away from the field, so I switched to a hammer for BB as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Who the hell is Doug Eddings?

Baseball mechanics seem to be more about showmanship than practicalities.

The purpose for signals is to inform those at a distance, not to do something which looks "cool". The defense always used is "individuality". And to do that, many little ball umpires make disparaging references about softball umpires and robotics. That only means they don't pay attention.
You know, at first I thought they were robots, too, even as an umpire who did a lot of softball. But as I have worked my way up through softball, I have seen that these "robots" all signal a slightly different way, and behind the "robotic" signals there are umpires with excellent game management skills and rules knowledge.

What I'm trying to say is, you're right: some people just weren't paying attention.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Last year at the end of fall ball I blew out my rotator cuff playing coed and I used the point in ASA ball... they wanted me to call left handed.. but I didnt. I pointed because I couldnt raise my arm up. No one noticed or cared. But this is one of them "do as your told" things for softball. Anyway, I suppose I could use it in mens FP but I dont.
I had a partner (PU) yesterday with a cast on the ring finger of his left hand. He had to show the count on his right hand only. He told the coaches at the plate meeting what he was going to do and did it. He did a good job of it as he vocalized the count as he held up fingers for balls and strikes on his right hand.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:01am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
I had a partner (PU) yesterday with a cast on the ring finger of his left hand. He had to show the count on his right hand only. He told the coaches at the plate meeting what he was going to do and did it. He did a good job of it as he vocalized the count as he held up fingers for balls and strikes on his right hand.
Too bad it wasn't his middle finger. That would lead to some hilarious "gesturing".
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Maybe mens FP... I dunno about shooting em in JO...

Fun to talk about though

Besides I believe Luciano style would be like outoutoutoutoutoutoutoutout outoutoutoutoutoutotuotuo

You doing that to them canucks?
yeah, it's fun to imagine what would happen if I shot out a runner in a game. How many of you really think I would imitate Luciano on the field in a real game? I may joke around alot about doing goofy stuff on the field but when I'm really on the field, it's the same professional image that any other umpire in my chapter projects.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I know ASA requires hammer for all strikes but I know FED, PONY, LL don't really care so much. Does anyone use the point for strikes in non-ASA ball? I also do baseball, and I prefer the point much more than the hammer and i'll use the hammer for strikes only when I absolutely have to. In non-ASA ball, I compromise a bit and use the hammer for called strikes and point for swinging strikes. I really think that strikes should all be pointed with and the hammer should be reserved for outs and only outs. We all remember the Doug Eddings hammer ambiguity right? and I just point to one side without turning my head...
You need to know the history of the game to understand the point and the fist.
The use of signals came about because there was a deaf outfielf player (BB of course) and he needed to know the status of pitches etc.
The point came about because in the old days, the scorekeeper would be near the 1st base dugout and thus the plate man pointed in that direction.
We don't need to point as it does not signal anything useful except that your finger is on your hand.
Make your signals clear and complete in accordance with your associations requirements.
I umped long enough ago to remember having to "flush the john" for an out or strike. In other words you reached up like you were pulling the chain on an old fashioned style of commode. (yep, that is old)
Pointing is a favorite of the arrogant ones, of whom I was a member for a long time. I started in small ball and you JUST HAD TO because they always had before.
If you want to get some respect from the coaches and players, not to mention your partners, call it the right way or plan on enduring the eye rolling and snide remarks about the noob who doesn't have a clue.

As an aside, do any of you remember where the left hand to right elbow (in calling a strike) mechanic came from and why?
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61 View Post
As an aside, do any of you remember where the left hand to right elbow (in calling a strike) mechanic came from and why?
Same as the left hand to belly on the out hammer. It was introduced as a separate step to slow down the hammer.