The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't do much baseball umpiring, but I do some other stuff in regards to baseball. When I do umpire baseball (7 games last year, probably that this year maybe) I use baseball mechanics. I see a lot of made up shiznits on the baseball field amongst a bunch of folks who think they know better...or do this thing or that things because of Doug Eddings or Richie Garcia or Bill Klem or Bill McGowan or Shag Crawford or Carl Childress .

When I do softball, even as lousy an umpire as I am, I use softball mechanics. It ain't that difficult -- I mean, if I can do it, surely many others can do it.

Then again...my strike three looking call is the Shag Crawford strike three looking.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Three threads on how to call a strike?????
Talk about

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Wait... we are suppose to call strikes? d@mn!! knew i was forgetting something.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 09:55am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Wait... we are suppose to call strikes? d@mn!! knew i was forgetting something.
And you would think from my games last night I was forgetting HOW to call them. Sheesh.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
Three threads on how to call a strike?????
Talk about
At least they are concerning the actual responsibility of an umpire. Besides, resurrecting 4 year old threads shouldn't count (except against the person who did it...)
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
At least they are concerning the actual responsibility of an umpire. Besides, resurrecting 4 year old threads shouldn't count (except against the person who did it...)

Hey i have been guilty of the resurrection myself.

I go through bouts of insomnia and it seems like a good idea on 2 hours sleep 3 nights in a row.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
(snip)
Speaking of which, baseball and softball are two different sports with two sets of mechanics, which I somehow manage to keep straight, so why not just learn and do it the softball way for softball and the baseball way for baseball?
(snip)
Exactly!!

I occasionaly now, do BB.
I make it a point to keep my mouth shut, do the best I can and pay attention to their mechanics.

I sure as hell don't go do a baseball game and try to tell him that "That's the way we do it in SB, so that's the way I'm going to do it". Which I seem to have heard a lot from BB guys this year. (Guys who are trying to pick up extra bucks by doing SB).
Must be an economy thing....
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Exactly!!

I occasionaly now, do BB.
I make it a point to keep my mouth shut, do the best I can and pay attention to their mechanics.

I sure as hell don't go do a baseball game and try to tell him that "That's the way we do it in SB, so that's the way I'm going to do it". Which I seem to have heard a lot from BB guys this year. (Guys who are trying to pick up extra bucks by doing SB).
Must be an economy thing....
My area also has had the influx from the baseball.

I only do softball.

RANT ON

As my partner reluctantly is going along with doing a minimal pregame, he whips the baseball machismo out on me. Never met the guy but thats not gonna stop him from attempting to awe me with " I'm a baseball guy really. I thought I'd come over here to help." He says with his baseball peacock feathers all puffed up.

Yea thanks Buddy, now our mechanics are different , don't know if you've noticed but it's not one from the infield and two from the outfield over on these grassless diamonds-learn the rules.

And stop with machismo I've got a resume that would floor you in this little thing we call life.I'm a pretty tough guy myself. ...so your baseball only act is a joke. Wanna impress be one of the few BB guys who come over and do it RIGHT-the softball way.

BTW you cover 3B on that play partner, thats why the coach was *****ing at you and not me......Some of these silly old softball coaches know their stuff-and they know who doesn't .....

RANT OFF
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
As my partner reluctantly is going along with doing a minimal pregame, he whips the baseball machismo out on me. Never met the guy but thats not gonna stop him from attempting to awe me with " I'm a baseball guy really.
You: Don't worry, buddy. I'll help you out and if you can hang long enough, we will make you a real umpire before the fourth game.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
My area also has had the influx from the baseball.

I only do softball.

RANT ON

As my partner reluctantly is going along with doing a minimal pregame, he whips the baseball machismo out on me. Never met the guy but thats not gonna stop him from attempting to awe me with " I'm a baseball guy really. I thought I'd come over here to help." He says with his baseball peacock feathers all puffed up.

Yea thanks Buddy, now our mechanics are different , don't know if you've noticed but it's not one from the infield and two from the outfield over on these grassless diamonds-learn the rules.

And stop with machismo I've got a resume that would floor you in this little thing we call life.I'm a pretty tough guy myself. ...so your baseball only act is a joke. Wanna impress be one of the few BB guys who come over and do it RIGHT-the softball way.

BTW you cover 3B on that play partner, thats why the coach was *****ing at you and not me......Some of these silly old softball coaches know their stuff-and they know who doesn't .....

RANT OFF
Might want to stand outside the infield, partner. And the book says she can move while her hands come together, so that was not a balk.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

I still like the old 4 s's style of dealing with a pitch.
See it
Say it
Stand up and
Signal it
Get a little rythm and it works every time.
Or if you prefer the 5 s's at the plate.
Set
See
Say
Stand
Signal

Try it out, you will slow down and not be prone to mistakes of or rushing your call