The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Call out changes/subs or wander around tracking people?

Do you call out your subs or are you a "wanderer"?

A wanderer wanders around going person to person until they find the score book.

Most of the time, I just call em out to the other coach after closing the distance a little. I dont wander around finding score keepers and such.

I worked with a wanderer last weekend and every sub took awhile while he meticulously worked out each sub with the score keeper. I wasnt actually sure what the exact proper protocol is, but it was frustrating.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I just notify the opposing coach in all levels except in NCAA, where I am required to notify the scorekeeper as well. (But they are usually easy to find at college games.)

Whether or not the coach tells his scorekeeper is his bidness!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

On the first change I will typically ask where the score keeper is and go report the changes in person to make sure they get entered. But, I wont go wandering all over the place to do it. I will ask the coach where their score keeper is, if they cant find them immediately I just tell the coach the changes and go back to play. If I go back to report more changes later and the score keeper has moved I wont go looking, I report to the coach and get back to play.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I give it a cool little jog toward the dugout, get the coach's attention, stop and call out the changes loud enough for he or she to hear.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

For mommy and daddy scorekeepers, who are usually sitting somewhere with the lawn chair contingent and indistinguishable from all the other mommies and daddies except for the scorebook in their lap, this is a problem. Technically, the response to "tell the coach" is correct, except it is my experience that if you do not make sure it is actually noted by the "scorekeeper" you are leaving the door wide open for a major dustup later in the game. I don't wander; but I do make sure I know who is keeping the books for both teams and I do make sure they are aware of the subs being entered. The time this costs is minimal compared to the time wasted with pointless BOO, etc., junk later.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
except it is my experience that if you do not make sure it is actually noted by the "scorekeeper" you are leaving the door wide open for a major dustup later in the game.
Not if you are doing your job and maintaining your line-up card properly.

Unless you have an official scorer(scorekeeper), simply notify a coach of the opposing team. If a coach doesn't have a change which you announced, that is between him/her and whomever they handed the scorebook.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not if you are doing your job and maintaining your line-up card properly.

Unless you have an official scorer(scorekeeper), simply notify a coach of the opposing team. If a coach doesn't have a change which you announced, that is between him/her and whomever they handed the scorebook.
You still have to waste time dealing with the pointless appeal usually being made by a relatively clueless coach using information from a misinformed scorekeeper. It is easier to just make sure they write it down in the first place.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

My thinking is more along the lines of Mikes. It doesnt matter to me a lot what the scorekeeper does. I have it on my card. I realize some preventative umpiring is likely in order and I will try to say it to where the coach and score keeper get it at the same time, but I address the coach.

What got this post going was remembering the time the score keeper was off getting a hot dog or something and that caused an even bigger delay as he looked lost.. finnally giving it to a different parent who sits next to the scorekeeper.

However, the bottom line is - it seems to me there is no ASA standard on this and its up to an individual umpire's discretion as to how they do it. That's fine, I was just checking.

That is what kind of what aI thought, which is why I didnt say anything to him. It was painful though.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

As a clarification - If I have an "official" paid score keeper who is essentially part of my crew, I will always make sure they know. My discussion is involving the Mommys/Daddys who could be sitting anywhere doing lord knows what. In Men's ball I usually have one of the real score keepers and of course big tournies. NCAA is the same way. You arent wandering around the stadium looking for the lady under the 3rd umbrella.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

No standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
My thinking is more along the lines of Mikes. It doesnt matter to me a lot what the scorekeeper does. I have it on my card. I realize some preventative umpiring is likely in order and I will try to say it to where the coach and score keeper get it at the same time, but I address the coach.

What got this post going was remembering the time the score keeper was off getting a hot dog or something and that caused an even bigger delay as he looked lost.. finnally giving it to a different parent who sits next to the scorekeeper.

However, the bottom line is - it seems to me there is no ASA standard on this and its up to an individual umpire's discretion as to how they do it. That's fine, I was just checking.

That is what kind of what aI thought, which is why I didnt say anything to him. It was painful though.

Page 52 of the ASA 2009 Umpire Manual

The manager or team representative of the team making the substitution shall notify the plate umpire at the time the substitute enters. The plate umpire shall then report the change to the scorer.

Sounds like a standard to me. Am I missing something?

I realize that for wreck league ball we might be a little more lenient on this in order to speed the game up, but there is a standard.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Page 52 of the ASA 2009 Umpire Manual

The manager or team representative of the team making the substitution shall notify the plate umpire at the time the substitute enters. The plate umpire shall then report the change to the scorer.

Sounds like a standard to me. Am I missing something?
Yes, not all games have an official scorer INCLUDING nationals at certain locations. I've never seen an official scorere at a state or regional tournament. Every place does it a little differently.

SteveM, tell them who kept the score and clock at your national.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

nationals, without a scorer?

Quote:
Yes, not all games have an official scorer INCLUDING nationals at certain locations. I've never seen an official scorere at a state or regional tournament. Every place does it a little differently.

SteveM, tell them who kept the score and clock at your national.
Wow! That's amazing! I understand when there is no official scorer we do what we have to do, but to say ASA doesn't have a standard, isn't exactly correct either. That's what I was getting at.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Wow! That's amazing! I understand when there is no official scorer we do what we have to do, but to say ASA doesn't have a standard, isn't exactly correct either. That's what I was getting at.
I did not say there wasn't a standard, but that doesn't mean it is always met.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't say you did.

Quote:
I did not say there wasn't a standard, but that doesn't mean it is always met.
The author of this thread did and that was who I was referring to when I say that there is a standard. I agree it is not always met, but there is a rule to go by when we have an official scorer.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Generally, I'll just notify the head coach of a change - they're the ones who are doing that strategizing stuff.