The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

NAFA's modified A

I worked a NAFA men's tourney this weekend. They have kind of taken over the mens ball in our area (FP Of course). Great fun this weekend and great tourney. No ejections at all in the entire tournament. I probably could have got one but it was the very last game (round robin not championship), it was late, he was tired, and I wasnt letting him off the hook that easy.

Anyway, NAFA starts off in a modified A. (simlar to slow pitch for ASA) with no runners on.

have you tried it in fast pitch?

I thought I would like it but it turned out to have some dificiencies. On RF bloops, to get a 90 you come straight in. I would rather be out on that play, especially when I have dudes throwing a ball. I felt a little vulnerable right there and in the way.

I had to often adjust to see the pitch because of F3's dome being in the way, which got old.

Another umpire brought up the liner shot with BU having fair foul - Me I had no problem getting to the line or going out from this position.

The only advantage I see to a modified A for Fast Pitch is the lazy routine out at 1B. That position makes that play a snap.

I have no interest in that rationale and think the standard A is the way to go.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

Wade,
That's an alternate starting position for the 2-umpire crew in the college game, too. It feels strange, but I can see that it may be helpful. As for BU, in this modified position, taking fair/foul - you don't. In this position, your fly ball coverage area is the 'V' - that's the area from F7 to F9.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Wade,
That's an alternate starting position for the 2-umpire crew in the college game, too. It feels strange, but I can see that it may be helpful. As for BU, in this modified position, taking fair/foul - you don't. In this position, your fly ball coverage area is the 'V' - that's the area from F7 to F9.
OMG, don't let the SUIP hear you call it the 'V'; it's the 'wedge".

Very few umpires in this area have taken to the alternate position. It essentially trades off the illegal pitches where the pitcher doesn't maintain contact with the pitching plate for a better look at the 24" pitching lane (which is violated considerably less often; and the lines are quickly gone whenever a pitcher is even close to being considered for that).

Other than that, you save so few steps that there is no value realized. The can of corn in the wedge has always been easily called by PU; more easily than having the BU chase nothing and the PU do a one man until the out is called.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Because it was Men's and we werent calling any "technical" stuff on them (not that they have many anyway) I didnt even consider the IP aspect.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wade,
But of course, you know the real reason this was introduced this year was to help enforce the pitching lane violation. Coaches cried, and a rule and mechanic and two new lines were born. I am not a fan of starting in B, to be honest with you.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

Very few umpires in this area have taken to the alternate position. It essentially trades off the illegal pitches where the pitcher doesn't maintain contact with the pitching plate for a better look at the 24" pitching lane (which is violated considerably less often; and the lines are quickly gone whenever a pitcher is even close to being considered for that).

Other than that, you save so few steps that there is no value realized. The can of corn in the wedge has always been easily called by PU; more easily than having the BU chase nothing and the PU do a one man until the out is called.
Well stated!

Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Help with Modified A

Just got back into softball during the 08 Fall season after being away from both FP & SP for almost six years. I'm not familiar with the "modified A" position. Could someone set me straight as to just where I should be positioning myself at the start of the modified A position in both SP&FP.
Thanks for the help.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Not really a B .. more in line with where you would make a the call at 1B and a few steps back -- Thats where the NAFA UIC said we could play (since its a NAFA Mechanic) so I gave it a shot. We had a baseball UIC there working too and you'd a though the NAFA UIC was asking him to give up his first born.. lordy and the NAFA guy was just suggesting it not demanding it.

We could do whatever so I did my cool "tight hammer" strike mechanic , which I like quite a bit (I'm sure that would not favor the deaf guy in the nose bleed seats -- luckily there are no nose bleed seats). Good times to be able to try stuff and work on stuff..

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Mar 31, 2009 at 07:47pm.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
But of course, you know the real reason this was introduced this year was to help enforce the pitching lane violation. Coaches cried, and a rule and mechanic and two new lines were born. I am not a fan of starting in B, to be honest with you.
But of course. I have tried it - not at all convinced that I like it. BUT, in those PONY tournaments, maybe the 3rd or 4th game of the day, I just might cheat some and use it. (PONY sez the follow college mechanics, so.......)

Now, those lines are another subjuect - and I think I just might start a new thread on them.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're right, Steve. Too many little ball games recently, I guess.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

I got a PM today that stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick
Steve,
I don't have my manual with me, as I'm at work so I can't give you page numbers, but the SUIP hasn't done away with the "V", which is still F7 to F9. The wedge is F8 to F9 for U1 in a counter rotated starting position, introduced last year.

And when you use the optional position in 2-umpires, you only chase in the "V".
So I pulled my 2009 manual, and got a surprise (guess I have been skimming, when I should have been restudying).

In 2008, as best I recall (I gave my 2008 manual to someone starting out that needed the help without the expense) the 'V' was called the 'wedge' and the counter-rotated coverage area was called the 'slice'. I distinctly remember that term at the 2008 clinic; it was listed as an agenda item, and I seem to recall it was one of the 'front of the book' Points of Emphasis.

But now, the 2009 manual (pages 164 and 165) go back to the previously outlawed/disregarded/unwanted term of 'V', and rename the slice as the wedge. I didn't read them closely; looked at the pic, skimmed what I thought I already knew. Am I losing it, or will others out there confirm my memory? Anyone with a 2008 CCA Manual confirming?
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now, those lines are another subjuect - and I think I just might start a new thread on them.
Why bother....the lines will be gone after the first post anyway!
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Why bother....the lines will be gone after the first post anyway!

Niiiice!

Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I got a PM today that stated

So I pulled my 2009 manual, and got a surprise (guess I have been skimming, when I should have been restudying).

In 2008, as best I recall (I gave my 2008 manual to someone starting out that needed the help without the expense) the 'V' was called the 'wedge' and the counter-rotated coverage area was called the 'slice'. I distinctly remember that term at the 2008 clinic; it was listed as an agenda item, and I seem to recall it was one of the 'front of the book' Points of Emphasis.

But now, the 2009 manual (pages 164 and 165) go back to the previously outlawed/disregarded/unwanted term of 'V', and rename the slice as the wedge. I didn't read them closely; looked at the pic, skimmed what I thought I already knew. Am I losing it, or will others out there confirm my memory? Anyone with a 2008 CCA Manual confirming?

I'm craving pizza now.

Ted
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

CAUTION!!!

You are approaching a rhetorical question.

Why are some people, whether clinicians, rule interpreters, whomever, so eager to label everything with some sort of catch phrase or sound byte?

V
Wedge
Counter-rotated (my all-time least favorite)
Fourth Dimension
GPA
etc.

Thank you